Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 12:47 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,968,123 times

Advertisements

So I applied for a job on 1/2. I received a call on 2/13 from the company asking me to come that afternoon. I honestly totally forgot about the job posting since. I told them I couldn't come that day and I couldn't come to the next day due to a funeral. Part of me was really pissed off they expected me to be sitting by my phone praying for a call and already dressed in my suit for a same day interview. I didn't want to do the same day because I didn't remember the job posting and didn't want to ask her about it. I told them I was available the following week Tues-Fri. She then said she'd have to call me back.

I received a call yesterday and they did the same damn thing. Took over a week to call me back and again, expect me to have nothing going on in my life. I missed this call and didn't bother calling back. Total lack of respect IMO and figured I don't want anything to do with a company treating applicants like crap.

IMO, 6 weeks to contact an applicant is a crazy long time too. Anyone ever have to deal with this type of junk?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 08:37 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,362,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
expect me to have nothing going on in my life. I missed this call and didn't bother calling back.

You don't have a job, do you? In which case, no, you don't have anything going on in your life. Are you collecting unemployment? If you are, you are literally getting paid to look for a job.

Would you seriously rather not have a job? Are you seriously complaining about getting called back for an interview?

Old 02-27-2014, 08:55 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csiko View Post
You don't have a job, do you? In which case, no, you don't have anything going on in your life. Are you collecting unemployment? If you are, you are literally getting paid to look for a job.

Would you seriously rather not have a job? Are you seriously complaining about getting called back for an interview?

That's a bit harsh. Asking someone to come in that day is really not enough notice, unless we're talking some type of retail/fast food position. Just because someone may not be working doesn't mean they don't have things to take care(example a funeral).

OP, while I understand you being upset about the short notice, if you're not working than you need to be more prepared. Have your interview outfit cleaned and ready to go. If there was anyway you could have made it there, I would have gone.

Also not remembering who the company is doesn't cut it. Keep a file with hard copies of jobs that you applied to, so you can quickly reference who you're talking to when they call.

No point in applying for jobs only to forget you applied.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:13 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,601,744 times
I was laid off 1/24 and sent a resume to a company the first week of Feb.

They called me on 2/24 and asked if I could interview later that day at 4:15... So I did... And got an offer.

I guess it all depends on how bad you want a job. My unemployment is $570 a week... This job is twice that amount and I accepted the offer.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:08 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,968,123 times
Quote:

If work is the only thing I have going on in my life, I'd kill myself. I don't want just any job so yea, I am complaining.

I have 4 interviews this week. Just because one is unemployed doesn't mean they need to accept any possible job out there.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:50 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,362,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Just because someone may not be working doesn't mean they don't have things to take care(example a funeral).
Reread, that's just what he told them. And he only told them that because he was offended about being asked for a same day interview.

Quote:
I have 4 interviews this week. Just because one is unemployed doesn't mean they need to accept any possible job out there.
No, but there wasn't a job to accept yet. We're talking about an interview. It's good that you have some scheduled, but if someone's looking to hire so urgently that they need a same day interview, it could be a very good chance for you. So when one of the ones you have scheduled asks you if you can start tomorrow, are you going to say "nah, I have too much going on right now"?

Old 02-27-2014, 12:18 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,274,944 times
Quote:
So I applied for a job on 1/2. I received a call on 2/13 from the company asking me to come that afternoon. I honestly totally forgot about the job posting since. I told them I couldn't come that day and I couldn't come to the next day due to a funeral. Part of me was really pissed off they expected me to be sitting by my phone praying for a call and already dressed in my suit for a same day interview. I didn't want to do the same day because I didn't remember the job posting and didn't want to ask her about it. I told them I was available the following week Tues-Fri. She then said she'd have to call me back.

I received a call yesterday and they did the same damn thing. Took over a week to call me back and again, expect me to have nothing going on in my life. I missed this call and didn't bother calling back. Total lack of respect IMO and figured I don't want anything to do with a company treating applicants like crap.

IMO, 6 weeks to contact an applicant is a crazy long time too. Anyone ever have to deal with this type of junk?
If you don't have a job, weren't you waiting by the phone??

As for 6 weeks before no contact, don't ever apply for a government job.

Old 02-27-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
If work is the only thing I have going on in my life, I'd kill myself. I don't want just any job so yea, I am complaining.

I knew your name looked familiar... You were the one who was fired for going to the gym on the clock... And got unemployment to boot.

Still got the same work ethic?

Old 02-27-2014, 01:03 PM

821 posts, read 1,099,891 times
This is a HUGE red flag! I would not even go on the interview.

Old 02-27-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:

No, but there wasn't a job to accept yet. We're talking about an interview. It's good that you have some scheduled, but if someone's looking to hire so urgently that they need a same day interview, it could be a very good chance for you. So when one of the ones you have scheduled asks you if you can start tomorrow, are you going to say "nah, I have too much going on right now"?
That was my thought too when I got the call the other day.

"If this place wants to interview me TODAY I bet I have a good chance of getting hired."

... and I was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
I was laid off 1/24 and sent a resume to a company the first week of Feb.

They called me on 2/24 and asked if I could interview later that day at 4:15... So I did... And got an offer.

I guess it all depends on how bad you want a job. My unemployment is $570 a week... This job is twice that amount and I accepted the offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search