Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 06:25 AM

210 posts, read 393,841 times

Advertisements

Is there anything I can say or show to a potential employer that I don't mind travelling an 80-90 minute commute with public transportation? For example, I found a job posting in my newspaper and it would take about 80-90 minutes of travel time to get to the company. The ad mentions that I can either apply by phone, fax, or by going in person. Is it possible to show I don't mind the commute if I go in and apply in person?

I really love the trade I'm working in and I'll put up with that kind of commute to continue being in this trade. Is that something I should tell employers, but only if they bring up the commute time? Would it seem desperate if I just blurted that out without them mentioning the commute first?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 07:00 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,274,107 times
Why would they even know about your commute if you don't tell them? Don't bring it up. Will you have problems getting to work if they need you to come in two hours early or stay two hours late?

Old 03-08-2014, 07:07 AM

210 posts, read 393,841 times
Well, my address is going to be on my resume....

If they let me know ahead of time that I need to start 2 hours early, then no it shouldn't be a problem.

Old 03-08-2014, 07:11 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,076,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Life7 View Post

If they let me know ahead of time that I need to start 2 hours early, then no it shouldn't be a problem.
So take your address off of your resume. Put an email address and phone number instead.

Not that this has any bearing on what you're asking, but I can recall when I lived in the Central Valley in California, there were loads of people from the Bay Area (around 200 miles away) who were buying and living in property in the foothills located 30 miles from where I lived. They did it because the prices were far, far lower than property where they lived and worked. They were snapping up homes and commuting 150+ miles each way. I thought it was nuts, but it's understandable if they are working at a good-paying job, but can't afford a home where they work....

Don't tell them anything about where you live, or your commute. In this situation, they are on a "need to know" basis, and at this point, they don't need to know, lol.

Old 03-08-2014, 07:28 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
In most cases the actual address (not a PO Box) is required. It's really none of their business whether you will move closer or commute, as long as you can get to work on time every day. We will often include a question that is very general (and legal) such as "is there anything that would prevent you from being here on time every day?" to which you would answer no. If they do ask specifically about the long commute, the fact that you "don't mind" it is not as important to them as having reliable transportation, and knowing to leave early enough to account for possible traffic problems.

Old 03-08-2014, 07:38 AM

415 posts, read 764,426 times
So 3 to 4 hours of non-paid travel time a day.. 15 hours a week...60 hours a month and 780 hours a year on the low end...do they pay travel time... so do 11 hour days for 7 1/2 or 8 hours pay ??Do i have this right?

Old 03-08-2014, 07:41 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
Quote:
Is there anything I can say or show to a potential employer that I don't mind travelling an 80-90 minute commute with public transportation? For example, I found a job posting in my newspaper and it would take about 80-90 minutes of travel time to get to the company. The ad mentions that I can either apply by phone, fax, or by going in person. Is it possible to show I don't mind the commute if I go in and apply in person?
Most likely, the HR department is not even going to take note of your address unless you are from out of state. And why would they take the time to calculate your travel time by public transportation? BTW long a commute would it be if you had a car?

And yes, please do apply in person. You need to make that trip just to make sure that it's no big deal for you to have to do it every work day.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:29 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,274,107 times
Quote:

And the assumption is going to be you have a car. How long does it take to drive from your address to the business? If they mention a long commute, all you need to say is that you don't anticipate any problems getting to work on time every day. That said, you are wasting an awful lot of time sitting on a bus and, the longer the bus route, the more likely you are to run into timeliness problems.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:19 AM

151 posts, read 258,145 times
Currently I am driving 85 miles - one way to work. My situation is a little different since I lived really close to work and then decided to move. The company accommodated me by allowing me to telecommute on Fridays. People think that I am crazy but it isn't too bad. The driving time is not all wasted since I listen to books on tapes (from local libraries) including novels and self-help books, NPR, learning new languages or simply listening to my favorite musics. I have all that time to myself with no interruption from anyone.

Since you will be taking public transportation, it is even easier. In addition to doing what I am doing now, you can read a book or simply take a nap. If the interviewer asks, be enthusiastic about it and focus on the positive aspects. I would say something like, yes, I rather live 5 minutes away from work but if my commute is longer then I can spend that time on my favorite hobbies which is reading, learning a new language......ect.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:23 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,602,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickory patrick View Post
So 3 to 4 hours of non-paid travel time a day.. 15 hours a week...60 hours a month and 780 hours a year on the low end...do they pay travel time... so do 11 hour days for 7 1/2 or 8 hours pay ??Do i have this right?
I was thinking the same thing.

I just accepted a job offer and the 10 mile distance from home that avoids Seattle traffic was a VERY close second to the pay when it came to accepting the offer.

To hell with hours in gridlock each day...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search