Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2014, 07:20 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,420,857 times

Advertisements

So I h ad a great 1st phone interview before the h olidays and everything went well.
She told me i was a great candidate and she wanted me to come in to their office for all day interview and to take some test? Anyway she informed me nothing was going to get set up till after new year/holidays.
I never got a call about this and the recruiter has ignored me. This sounds unprofessional to me.
How common is this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 07:38 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,736,446 times
very.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:39 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
They found a better candidate. Move on, stuff happens.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:42 AM

856 posts, read 1,052,510 times
Exclamation Happens All the Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novadhd5150 View Post
So I h ad a great 1st phone interview before the h olidays and everything went well.
She told me i was a great candidate and she wanted me to come in to their office for all day interview and to take some test? Anyway she informed me nothing was going to get set up till after new year/holidays.
I never got a call about this and the recruiter has ignored me. This sounds unprofessional to me.
How common is this?

Nova...

This happens all the time, get used to it.

You have not said whether the recruiter was an internal corporate recruiter or an external third party recruiter- this would make a difference on just what occurred.

You sound like a non-exempt employee....were you salaried exempt or for sure an executive you probably would have been treated differently.

There are a zillion things that could have happened.

The person you spoke with left the company and no one follow up with her paperwork;

The position was filled from within;

The position was given to another external applicant;

The budget for this position has been frozen;

The position was eliminated;

The internal recruiter found someone they liked better;

The external recruiter found someone they liked better;

And so on and so forth.

Now, if the recruiter was external- from an employment agency, I would consider that a Clue.

That you may not be as competitive an applicant as you thought or they led you to believe.

The reason this can be a possibility -again, assuming the recruiter was from an employment agency- is because applicants who are considered 'high value' are worth a recruitment fee by a company willing to pay an employment agency to hire such a person.

In other words.....if you were considered/are considered to be a high value applicant, that external recruiter would be marketing you to several companies, banking on one of them being willing to hire you and pay the employment agency fee.

That you got dropped may be because the external recruiter felt they have or can get better/more qualified candidates.

This can be tested by going to more employment agencies and seeing how they react to you.

If they act passively, then you have your answer but if they seem to be sincerely excited about you and talk about getting you interviews and then do, then we'd have to rack this up to something going wrong on the company side.

In any event, you need to remember that when applying for a job, you ought to be dealing with at least three employment agencies and be sending out as many resumes as possible....so as to increase your possibility of being called, interviewed and hired.

Never be in a situation where you have only one iron in the fire.

Paul

Old 03-26-2014, 07:46 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,856,812 times
Quote:
How common is this?
Depends. Are we talking about an actual employee of the company you interviewed with, or some wannabe "recruiter" with a leech agency?

If it's an actual employee of a company, that's pretty odd - and very unprofessional.

If it's one of those garbage agency types, it's all too common. I'd avoid them until every other possible option has been exhausted, your best interests are never their concern.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:26 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,420,857 times
This was all internal. HR/Recruiter (from the comany ) screened me first. Had 1st official interview although think they called it phone screen but this was with a senior mgr from the comany. I understand there could have been many different reasons for changing their minds but at least let me know. Dont tell me I am going to be going for a second interview.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:28 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,856,812 times
Quote:
This was all internal. HR/Recruiter (from the comany ) screened me first. Had 1st official interview although think they called it phone screen but this was with a senior mgr from the comany. I understand there could have been many different reasons for changing their minds but at least let me know. Dont tell me I am going to be going for a second interview.
Terrible. I wonder if there's a chance that your point of contact left the company or something - that's the only legitimate explanation that I could think of.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:32 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
Call them up. It can't hurt. It probably won't lead to anything but you might get some closure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search