Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 06:58 AM

398 posts, read 746,911 times

Advertisements

Hello!
Let me know your thoughts. (Keep in mind, I'm 24).

1st job offer- Would be at a decent corporation. It's not a blue chip company or anything prestigious but it's still an OK private company, about 5,000 employees globally. People might or might not recognize the company if you tell them. For this position, you would be pretty much be hired on at an Executive level, working alongside the CEO and stakeholders. You don't really have a boss, no one to report to, pretty independent work (I'm pretty good at getting stuff done without getting told to). The CEO is still your boss of course, but like I said, you're working alongside him and checking in once in a while. You are pretty much hired on to create and run a specific program.

The reason why I would go with this role: Well, because it would be a HUGE career leap. I'm 24 as mentioned before and I can't deny that this is a fantastic opportunity! Most 24 year olds I know are still trying to climb up, and here I am making that huge leap. And say I only work here for a year or 2, any jobs obtained after can only be at the same level or higher.

2nd job offer- Would be at an FANTASTIC company. Think Google, Apple, Yale, etc. You say the name, it would definitely be recognized everywhere, even globally. For this position, you would be at a level just like other employees, or a level an average 24 college grad would be with 3 years experience. You don't necessarily get to create a program or anything crazy like that, but the work would still be challenging.

The reason why I would go with this role: Like I said, it's a really, really good company/name! Although I won't making a leap in my career, if I have the name on my resume, I'd be more marketable in the job market for the rest of the years of my working life to come.

I'm currently in this dilemma and it is actually stressing me out. Whatever I pick can take me to so many different paths and I really need to make a decision soon. I didn't want to disclose the companies' name because I want true, unbiased answers. Salary is not the most important aspect right now- I'm looking at the best choice for my long-term career goals.

What would YOU pick if you were in my position? Opinions greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 07:01 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
That's a toughie, but I'd lean toward #1.

Great issue to have.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
That's a toughie, but I'd lean toward #1.

Great issue to have.
Haha, it is! But it is actually very stressful as I am so indecisive. I've been contemplating for almost a week and still do not know the right answer for myself. I wish I can split myself into 2 halves.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:08 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,054,665 times
Are you serious? The first company without a doubt. You will gain experience and contacts as a senior exec that would never be possible as a standard employee at a prestigious firm.

My only hesitation would be whether you are capable of performing exec work at such a young age. If you cannot handle the pace, politics and stress, the job might turn into a career failure, which would not be good.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:10 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,054,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Uni View Post
Haha, it is! But it is actually very stressful as I am so indecisive. I've been contemplating for almost a week and still do not know the right answer for myself. I wish I can split myself into 2 halves.
Ah. If you are indecisive a senior exec job is not for you. One of the requirements would be comfort and ability to make decisions that impact many people. Maybe best to go with big name company and develop some skills for a few years.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:10 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times

Maintaining employment throughout your life is all about networking. Having direct access to the CEO and decision-makers will be MUCH more helpful to you in the long run than being yet another mid-level player at the best known company in the world.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:12 AM

12,109 posts, read 23,293,365 times
fishbrains and I are thinking along the same lines. You are young and don't have a lot of experience so, are you prepared to do executive level work? If so, I'd go with company #1 because you never know when or if another executive opportunity will come along.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:12 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Uni View Post
Hello!
Let me know your thoughts. (Keep in mind, I'm 24).

1st job offer- Would be at a decent corporation. It's not a blue chip company or anything prestigious but it's still an OK private company, about 5,000 employees globally. People might or might not recognize the company if you tell them. For this position, you would be pretty much be hired on at an Executive level, working alongside the CEO and stakeholders. You don't really have a boss, no one to report to, pretty independent work (I'm pretty good at getting stuff done without getting told to). The CEO is still your boss of course, but like I said, you're working alongside him and checking in once in a while. You are pretty much hired on to create and run a specific program.

The reason why I would go with this role: Well, because it would be a HUGE career leap. I'm 24 as mentioned before and I can't deny that this is a fantastic opportunity! Most 24 year olds I know are still trying to climb up, and here I am making that huge leap. And say I only work here for a year or 2, any jobs obtained after can only be at the same level or higher.

2nd job offer- Would be at an FANTASTIC company. Think Google, Apple, Yale, etc. You say the name, it would definitely be recognized everywhere, even globally. For this position, you would be at a level just like other employees, or a level an average 24 college grad would be with 3 years experience. You don't necessarily get to create a program or anything crazy like that, but the work would still be challenging.

The reason why I would go with this role: Like I said, it's a really, really good company/name! Although I won't making a leap in my career, if I have the name on my resume, I'd be more marketable in the job market for the rest of the years of my working life to come.

I'm currently in this dilemma and it is actually stressing me out. Whatever I pick can take me to so many different paths and I really need to make a decision soon. I didn't want to disclose the companies' name because I want true, unbiased answers. Salary is not the most important aspect right now- I'm looking at the best choice for my long-term career goals.

What would YOU pick if you were in my position? Opinions greatly appreciated!

Personally I would pick neither but I am NOT YOU.
Only you know what you are striving to achieve and only you know which position will get you closer to the end goal.
So read the words you wrote and decide for yourself which position you would choose for your life and career.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Are you serious? The first company without a doubt. You will gain experience and contacts as a senior exec that would never be possible as a standard employee at a prestigious firm.

My only hesitation would be whether you are capable of performing exec work at such a young age. If you cannot handle the pace, politics and stress, the job might turn into a career failure, which would not be good.
Yes, I've thought that as well but I am very confident in myself. I work very hard and know my work ethic. As for politics, I'm sure there won't be any as there would be no reason why anyone would want to bother me haha. There's nothing to race for, really. I'm my own independent group.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Ah. If you are indecisive a senior exec job is not for you. One of the requirements would be comfort and ability to make decisions that impact many people. Maybe best to go with big name company and develop some skills for a few years.
Okay.. when it comes down to my own personal choices, I am indecisive. Heck, I don't even know what I'm eating for breakfast today. But when it comes down to business once I'm in a role, I get **** done! I don't ponder or second guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search