Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2014, 03:01 PM

1 posts, read 596 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I'm applying for a job as a financial aid adviser and here are some questions I would appreciate some perspective on:

1. Do you have an Associate Degree or higher in computer software applications or programming, accounting or similar field?

I have a BA in economics, which is related to accounting, so I would say yes. During my studies I took both a statistics and econometrics class, so I've tinkered with various computer programs. That seems to be the purpose of this question, as per the job description, to suss out familiarity with computer programs. My degree wasn't centered around computer programs so perhaps I don't have as much experience as they would like, so I just want to make sure given my experience I am answering honestly!

2. Choose the response below which best describes your recent (past 8 years) full-time equivalent work experience in any combination of the following: financial aid, workforce funding, accounting, customer service, and/or social services.

The options are: eg, one to three years, three to five years, etc. Now, I have tons and tons of volunteer and tutoring experience. Going from the past eight years:

Volunteer:
2008-2010: ESL tutor and classroom assistant.
2013-current: volunteer with two local non-profits (receptionist, data entry); also once a week at the local courthouse doing reminder phone calls for court dates.

Tutoring/Teaching
Private tutor: 2009 -early 2010; spring 2011 - current
2010 - early 2011: ESL and kindergarten teacher in South Korea

I would argue that all of this is 'customer service' experience as it is direct contact with the clientele. For teaching, that is both my students and their parents (even in Korea, we had CCTV, so the parents could and would drop by to watch us teach; in addition, there were 'open classes' where they would sit in the room and watch a class take place. Also, for what it's worth, we had to generate report cards using a program that was in Korean, fortunately reading and writing Korean is easy (and fun!), but yeah, just sayin', I'm confident with computer programs!).

For teaching, especially with the little ones, you have to be friendly and inviting. Even for the court calls, that requires people skills, though I've only been doing that for about 5 months. But with everything else, would you agree that it's accurate to say that I have 5+ years of customer service experience?

In a similar vein:

3. Do you have at least three recent years (within the past five years) work experience in a position providing a high level of excellent customer service?

Based on the above, if I'm 'allowed' to count my teaching as customer service (hey, it's all about how you spin it, right?) I would feel confident in saying 'yes'!! The mothers at my private school in Korea had exceptionally high standards, and even now with the private tutoring, I see my kids' mothers weekly, requiring me to be 'on' for them if you know what I mean. And of course for the courts, polite, professional, and cheerful behavior is required! (Well, with me, you always get 'cheerful'!) The receptionist experience naturally counts here, but that's only 1.5 years, so I'm just confirming that, in your (highly valued) opinion you agree that I can use my tutoring and teaching experience as customer service!

Thank you so much for your time, thank you for reading and please have a very good day!! Here are some nice Josh Billings (19th c humorist, contemporary of Twain, and very popular in his day!) quotes you may enjoy:

"Be like a postage stamp. Stick to one thing until you get there."

"Love looks through a telescope; envy, through a microscope."

"A dog is the only thing on earth loves you more than you love yourself."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search