Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2014, 01:53 PM

188 posts, read 238,048 times

Advertisements

some people says companies do the job posting for public due to legal issue or image for minority community, even though they don't have real intention to hire from external, they already have internal candidates.
In this case, how companies do? they just do job posting only? or they do all interview process including onsite interview even though they are not going to hire them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 02:14 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
Wow. I believe I have deciphered your post. It is foolish to think that every company fills every position with an internal candidate. A number of companies won't make an external posting if the position is an internal promotion. For those who have an internal candidate in mind and make an external posting, it is up to each company to decide whether they are going to conduct real external interviews, show interviews, or no external interviews at all.

Old 06-08-2014, 02:32 PM

160 posts, read 267,216 times
Legally they are required to make the position available to the public if their is a position to file. I was working as a temp and then the company lifted their hiring freeze and encouraged the temps to apply. They gave us the req # 5 days before it went public.

They held a few interviews from the outside but ultimately hired the temps who were already trained on the system. In short, they legally have to post an available position to the public even if they already have internal candidates in mind for the job.

Old 06-08-2014, 02:35 PM

282 posts, read 444,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reenale View Post
Legally they are required to make the position available to the public if their is a position to file. I was working as a temp and then the company lifted their hiring freeze and encouraged the temps to apply. They gave us the req # 5 days before it went public.

They held a few interviews from the outside but ultimately hired the temps who were already trained on the system. In short, they legally have to post an available position to the public even if they already have internal candidates in mind for the job.

Not under any set of laws I know of. It may be policy in some companies (and maybe a requirement for government jobs--not sure about that), but it is not a law.

Old 06-08-2014, 04:54 PM

Quote:

No they don't. The only people who have to legally post to the outside are federal contractors and sub contractors. Private businesses can do so if they want to, not because they have to.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:35 PM

Really MikeCool? A PM that includes the phrase "watch your mouth moron." Too bad your post was not as cogent as your PM.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:39 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,856,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Really MikeCool? A PM that includes the phrase "watch your mouth moron." Too bad your post was not as cogent as your PM.
You should post the PM as well.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:51 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,121,427 times
Quote:

Not true. Think of all the small businesses. You know they went with internal candidates, when the owner's son is the waiter and his wife is the hostess. They aren't exactly shutting down these companies for not posting the jobs on the internet. Just chat up the owner of your local companies, you can find out yourself.

Old 06-08-2014, 08:48 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Quote:

Where is this strange law? I have been a hiring manager in two states and never saw such a law. We will open it to the public if we are unaware of any interested, qualified internal person, which is most of the time, but we often hire without posting to the public.

Old 06-08-2014, 08:56 PM

107 posts, read 690,021 times
In teaching they have to post it and have to interview at least three people. At least in my district. So I've Been on interviews to which they already had someone they are hiring from internally but had to interview two more people. Waste of time for me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search