Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 11:20 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,050,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
I've seen these annoying tests pop up more and more often, especially when applying for a job online. I've been trying to help a young woman who is working toward her GED find a part time job to help support herself while she studies for the GED test. The other day she showed me a 150 question, true/false personality test that a major grocery chain required she answer to apply for a part time job as a stocker. She was even more confused than OP. As I scanned the questions, I saw they were looking for honesty (as in not stealing from the till or walking off with merchandis under your coat) - can't fault them there - good customer servce to the point of laying down and letting the customer dance all over you with stilleto heels; a team player with absolutely no ego of their own, and someone who has no life except their work for XYZ Groceries. In other words, an honest worker who lies on tests in order to get hired. Go figure.
Exactly! That is the paradox of these tests. Another question where you can't win is if they ask something like "have you ever stolen anything". If you say no, they will think you are lying, since they will assume that you stole a pen from work at some point in your life. If you say yes, then they will think you are a thief.

Sort of unrelated, but another question I always fear is, what kind of music do you listen to? The right answer is whatever the interviewer listens to, which you have no way of knowing at that point. Or if you give a vague answer, they'll assume you are avoiding the question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 11:55 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
I could just logically rip these sorts of tests to shreds all day long but I think everyone here understands that only HR people are dumb enough to give it any merit whatsoever.

Old 07-09-2014, 10:10 PM

519 posts, read 1,049,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I could just logically rip these sorts of tests to shreds all day long but I think everyone here understands that only HR people are dumb enough to give it any merit whatsoever.
I think they are ridiculous also. But the fact is, in this case, it cost me a job.

A job I really wanted.

I understand most of the questions I got 'wrong' were stupid things like 'Would you like to try skydiving' Scuba Diving, mountain climbing. (3 separate questions)
I said no - because I have already done those things. Duh.

They also had questions about my childhood - if I had ever run away from home, whether my parents loved me etc. I found the questions offensive as I grew up in an incredibly abusive home. I lied about my parents loving me (they don't but I said they did) but I admitted that I had run away. Wrong answer.

But seriously, what difference does it make what I did when I was 10?

I think the tests are unfair, but I must learn to play the game if I want to work.

There was another couple of questions I just remembered that I was wondering about the answer to;

6. When you were a child were you always reading?
7. For entertainment I'd rather watch TV than read.

Old 07-10-2014, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TumbleBug View Post
I think they are ridiculous also. But the fact is, in this case, it cost me a job.

A job I really wanted.

I understand most of the questions I got 'wrong' were stupid things like 'Would you like to try skydiving' Scuba Diving, mountain climbing. (3 separate questions)
I said no - because I have already done those things. Duh.
And why would I be a bad employee just because I have no interest in trying those things?

Quote:
They also had questions about my childhood - if I had ever run away from home, whether my parents loved me etc. I found the questions offensive as I grew up in an incredibly abusive home. I lied about my parents loving me (they don't but I said they did) but I admitted that I had run away. Wrong answer.

But seriously, what difference does it make what I did when I was 10?
Those questions shouldn't even be allowed, in my opinion.

Quote:
I think the tests are unfair, but I must learn to play the game if I want to work.

There was another couple of questions I just remembered that I was wondering about the answer to;

6. When you were a child were you always reading?
7. For entertainment I'd rather watch TV than read.
Since our society seems to view reading as good and TV watching as bad, I'd say they probably want Yes for #6 and No for #7.

Old 07-10-2014, 06:38 AM

519 posts, read 1,049,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
Since our society seems to view reading as good and TV watching as bad, I'd say they probably want Yes for #6 and No for #7.
I was thinking that 'always reading' as a kid is a bad sign. I was always reading, it was an escape from my crappy life.

I prefer to watch tv now, I still read but tv is easier and more acceptable.

I answered True to both on the test - I didn't get a detailed result, just the notice that I failed and my application couldn't advance. :/

Old 07-10-2014, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TumbleBug View Post
I was thinking that 'always reading' as a kid is a bad sign. I was always reading, it was an escape from my crappy life.

I prefer to watch tv now, I still read but tv is easier and more acceptable.

I answered True to both on the test - I didn't get a detailed result, just the notice that I failed and my application couldn't advance. :/
You have a good point. Someone who is "always reading" may be viewed as an introvert, and employers, unfortunately, hate introverts.

This further proves my point: the "right" answer depends on how the interviewer interprets that question and what biases the interviewer has. There is no way to know either for sure, so there is no way to guarantee that you give the right answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search