Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2014, 11:45 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,618,955 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Currently work as a college instructor. Getting ready to start my 5th year at my current institution.

Easy gig, good pay. However, I am bored to tears with the job. Family and support system is 16 hours away.

I have two interviews lined up in the next week. Both would put me closer to my family and give me the opportunity to change career do more interesting work.

My issue is that the school years starts in two and a half weeks?

Would I be wrong to leave the job at the start of the school year?

I have always had a hard time leaving a job. To the point now where I just don't want to teach anymore.

Any advice would be greatly beneficial.

Last edited by usamathman; 08-04-2014 at 12:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 12:56 AM

60 posts, read 131,231 times
You are fine provided you give a reasonable notice, as you certainly don't want to burn bridges with an employer you have been with for 5 years.

If your heart is no longer in teaching, it is best for all that you leave as the lack of interest in your job could affect your performance in the classroom. And besides, you wouldn't be happy.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:34 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
I would tell my department head that I may not be available to teach next term (or quarter). Leave the impression that you may need FMLA leave (parent facing surgery or something like that) but won't know for a couple weeks. Ask him/her to line up someone to teach your classes if need be.

Keep in mind the fact that you may not receive an offer, in that case you tell your department head that you won't need the leave. Then you give your students your best and keep looking.

What are your plans if you receive an offer mid-term? Are you contractually obligated to finish the term?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search