Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 02:13 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,071,995 times

Advertisements

Research the company before and have the questions in your head. Knowing about the company impresses the interviewer. Do not have a list of question to read from. Do not read or take notes. Take the resume along however do not read it in front of the interviewer. They like someone who can think of their feet.

Last edited by John-UK; 08-05-2014 at 03:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 04:49 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,332,468 times
I think it would be MORE than fine if the questions actually had to do with that particular company and showed that you had done some research about the business and the possible job. The question part of the interview is your chance to really impress an interviewer. Have your list in the form of talking points and notes and put them in your own words in the interview to demonstrate that you can speak extemporaneously.

Old 08-05-2014, 04:55 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,679,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
Research the company before and have the questions in your head. Knowing about the company impresses the interviewer. Do not have a list of question to read from. Do not read or take notes. Take the resume along however do not read it in front of the interviewer. They like someone who can think of their feet.
Like you are going to remember everything said during a 5 hour interview? Job interviews arent memory contests. Absolutely bring a list of prepared questions and take notes.

Old 08-05-2014, 05:45 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,642 posts, read 81,333,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbelle View Post
It doesn't bother me at all when someone refers to a list of questions. It's like when you go to the doctor, you might be nervous or flustered and forget to ask all your questions. Interviews make people nervous too. I'm a firm believer that interviews go both ways - they are judging you, and you are judging them, trying to determine a mutual fit. A well-prepared interviewer writes down questions, so why not a well-prepared candidate?

The worst case is to ask NO questions. I had a candidate a few weeks ago that when I asked if he had any questions he looked shocked that I asked. Really? You had NO idea I was going to ask if you had questions? Ugh, kill me now. He stalled me with a "when you are you going to make a decision" non-question while he tried to think of something else. Lame City, population 1!
I agree. The last person I hired had a short list of about 4 questions that showed really thought and interest, and impressed me enough that I selected him. He's so far worked out very well

Old 08-05-2014, 05:59 AM

3,515 posts, read 7,789,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semidevil View Post
Towards the end of the interview when it's my turn to ask questions, is it appropriate to open up my folder and ask/read them questions I have prepared in advance? I have a few and since some will be answered during the interview, it'll be easier for me to look through my list that wrote down.

Is this inappropriate or does it look unprofessional in any way?
I think it's fine. Often when I interview I have a list of questions in mind, but often forget to ask them something and kick myself later for not asking it. A written list in a folder is a great idea to have so you don't forget to ask anything. I wouldn't remove the list or read them word for word, but you can write down the answer if you want. The list is there so you don't forget to ask something.

Old 08-05-2014, 06:06 AM

29,526 posts, read 22,708,719 times
Nothing wrong at all.

I've done so in many of my interviews.

Usually I'll take out list when they ask if I have questions, or during start will take out resume as well as note pad to take notes and have question list.

Old 08-05-2014, 06:28 AM

928 posts, read 1,102,575 times
You should start asking questions right away. Tell them, "I have read the job description, but in your own words what is the perfect candidate for you?". Then when they answer use their answers to sell your skills and background and what you can do for them.

Always be asking questions, grill them well.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:09 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,305,268 times
I'd strongly encourage questions. If you need to write them down, go for it. Just make sure you're not asking questions about something that was covered in the interview.

It shows interest and being prepared. I've had enough interviews lately where people couldn't even tell me what my Company did in anything beyond the vaguest details. It shows a lack of concern.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:10 AM

7,930 posts, read 7,832,572 times
Thinking on your feet just shows reaction. It is best to have things written down so at least it shows you respect the concept of records.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:15 AM

986 posts, read 1,667,785 times
I've always brought a list of questions to the job interview, in my portfolio. It's worked so far and when I was an interviewer, I appreciated when candidates did the same. It shows planning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search