Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 12:02 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,574,696 times

Advertisements

So has anyone else been going through this? Seems like it is becoming very common and it is just very rude.

I had an phone interview with a company 3 weeks ago. She scheduled me for phone interview number two and then said I should hear back within 2 weeks. After the second interview, I emailed her the information she had asked of me and a thank you note.

Well two weeks have gone by. And I haven't heard back. Sent her an email on Thursday and waiting to hear back. But how rude is that? At this point, I am sure I did not get the job. This is a pretty big company that is national and mostly everyone on this forum knows them so I am surprised they aren't more professional.

But this is not the first time this has happened. I have interviewed with several companies who say I will hear back within a couple weeks or so. And I never do hear back despite sending follow up emails. How hard is it to just say "I am sorry but we have selected someone else. Good luck to you."?

Anyone else go through this? Have you ever had a situation where you didn't hear back for a while and thought you didn't get the job but ended up getting it? Any other related stories?

Need some encouragement here. Feels like I have just been having back luck all around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 02:42 AM

300 posts, read 1,136,920 times
Welcome to the real world; this happens quite often. It has happen so many times with me that I just don't care anymore. What I would do is move on already. If you must follow up just once say a few days to a week later and if you don't hear back than just move on. Apply to 5-10 more jobs after the interview.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:59 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,766,167 times
It's happened to me so I'm not very surprised anymore. I just move on. Any company who isn't willing to let me know whether I got the job or not isn't worth my time.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:04 AM

763 posts, read 2,605,192 times
It is rude and extremely unprofessional, but typical these days. I recently interviewed at a company that I really wanted to work for. After the appropriate waiting time, I followed-up with an email to the hiring manager. That was a week ago.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:22 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,636,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
It's happened to me so I'm not very surprised anymore. I just move on. Any company who isn't willing to let me know whether I got the job or not isn't worth my time.

This.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:25 AM

109 posts, read 202,172 times
Sometimes they take longer than expected. The last interview I had, they even told me that they are very careful on who to bring on board hence they will take over 2-3 weeks to make any decision

Old 04-08-2013, 08:03 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxengineerxx View Post
Sometimes they take longer than expected. The last interview I had, they even told me that they are very careful on who to bring on board hence they will take over 2-3 weeks to make any decision
^^ This!!!

Also, it takes time for the HR department to verify a potential employee's work history and references. Many times, those other companies they are contacting are slow to respond with the information.

Plus the very real fact that every job opening in a major company gets hundreds of applicants. The HR departments have a limited amount of staff to deal with the enormous amount of interest they get for each job.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:18 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,581,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Also, it takes time for the HR department to verify a potential employee's work history and references. Many times, those other companies they are contacting are slow to respond with the information.
Oh, I get that companies can take eons to make a decision -- usually the larger the company, the more time it takes. And if you're one of the first to interview, it may be weeks before they're even done seeing everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Plus the very real fact that every job opening in a major company gets hundreds of applicants. The HR departments have a limited amount of staff to deal with the enormous amount of interest they get for each job.
True, the hundreds who've applied aren't owed any response -- most people don't expect any. But the six who interviewed? They ARE owed a response. To never hear once they've made the decision -- that's just dismissive, as in "we don't think enough of you to even email a form-letter rejection".

Old 04-08-2013, 08:50 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,400,267 times
Yet there's multiple threads and posts that an employer calling or emailing to tell you that you DIDN'T get the job is the rudest thing ever... go figure.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:58 AM

23,540 posts, read 24,041,250 times
It is very rude and I agree with you. Employers should show courtesy and many do not, even though you have invested time with them for an interview.

One day though, you will get a call, or calls, with job offers! Hang in there, it will happen soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search