Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 01:25 PM

435 posts, read 635,627 times

Advertisements

As an update to what I posted a while back, a potential employer I interviewed with is still insisting on references from a prior supervisor. She contacted my last 2 employers and they told her its company policy to not give references, but they did tell her that I was employed there and when. I gave her references from friends and a co-worker, she said that wasn't enough. To my surprise, she has again contacted my old employers and demanded they give her information. She re-sent them a questionnaire through email (I know because I was copied on it). I have given her a total of 5 people to contact, 2 friends, one former co-worker, and two HR people at my previous employers. She wants the HR people to talk and wants to disregard the other 3 people.

At this point, I've given up on the job anyway, as I cannot force my former employers to talk about me. But I am disappointed that she is still pursuing references.

WHY would you keep asking someone for a reference if they already told you its not their policy to give one?????? Asking a second time is not going to change their mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 01:43 PM

41 posts, read 86,708 times
Any company that would employ such an idiot probably isn't somewhere you'd want to work.

Unbelievable stupidity and ignorance on her part.

Old 09-06-2014, 02:04 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,524,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palomalillie View Post

At this point, I've given up on the job anyway, as I cannot force my former employers to talk about me. But I am disappointed that she is still pursuing references.

WHY would you keep asking someone for a reference if they already told you its not their policy to give one?????? Asking a second time is not going to change their mind.
I would give up too if in your position. When someone is this paranoid and intrusive before the offer, what is it going to be like to work in that company? Are they going to conduct random background checks and psychological "pogrom tactics"? Monitor how long you sit in the john or eat your lunch? Are you 5 minutes late? What color are your socks, show us. So forth, and so on. There things only get worse with time.

Why keep asking for refs after the company told her it's not their policy? Simple. She's looking for dirt. She's hoping someone will crack under pressure and give it to her. She's a muckraker. I would mail her a letter stating that I am no longer interested in the position. Further, I would advise her to stop and desist from inquiring about my past employment and stop harassing my references.

Of course, if she doesn't stop, I would kick up this campaign a notch or two. You know, things like glassdoor, yelp reviews, etc.

Old 09-06-2014, 02:21 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,274,669 times
Wow.... I gotta say, you are better off not working with that nut-case. She sounds like an obsessive-compulsive control-freak, if not a borderline case.

Old 09-06-2014, 02:24 PM

435 posts, read 635,627 times
Well, if she's looking for dirt, she can find out whatever she wants by doing a background check, which I have already consented to. I have nothing to hide. I don't have a criminal record or anything.

She's already hinted that she thinks its a "red flag" that my former employers won't talk about me. She isn't aware of corporate policies these days. Since the mid 90s, most employers have refused to talk about their former workers as a matter of policy.

Old 09-06-2014, 02:28 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,524,257 times
move on, kid. where there's smoke there's fire. Red flag? I think she's the red flag. Intrusive and paranoid. That's smoke enough to get out.

Old 09-06-2014, 02:32 PM

41 posts, read 86,708 times
I thought previous employers could only do 2 things - verify salary and dates of employment. But what do I know.

She needs to be set straight, and I'd be letting someone else at the company know what kind of moron they have working for them, while moving on to a better opportunity.

Old 09-06-2014, 02:34 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,744,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weinerdog View Post
I thought previous employers could only do 2 things - verify salary and dates of employment. But what do I know.
A previous employer can provide a reference (as in their experience with said person) if they choose to, but it's not as if they're required to do so, and another employer can't force them to provide that information...

Old 09-06-2014, 03:19 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,597,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palomalillie View Post
She's already hinted that she thinks its a "red flag" that my former employers won't talk about me. She isn't aware of corporate policies these days. Since the mid 90s, most employers have refused to talk about their former workers as a matter of policy.
It would be seen as strange in some fields. I've never had trouble when calling somebody's former supervisor or when asking a former (or current in the right circumstances) supervisor to give me a reference when I was looking for work or when giving a reference to somebody I used to supervise. If there is a policy, nobody outside of HR seems to worry about it.

Of course, I've never encountered who used a form to get a reference.

Anyway, I don't think it is reasonable to have the refusal to get a reference reflect badly on the applicant, but it certainly would make the former employer look bad in my field.

Old 09-06-2014, 03:31 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
There are some places that want a honest reference rather than just a canned "you worked there and when." When they start push the envelope and borderline harassing former employers, I'd drop them. Imagine how invasive they will be to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search