Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2014, 08:09 AM

3,649 posts, read 4,497,324 times

Advertisements

Tried just bumping my old thread with my questions/advice seeking but no one responded, so here ya are.

I have a job interview with LabCorp as a specimen accessioner. It's not glamorous, but it would get my foot in the door for a career in a laboratory setting which is what I really want. The position's educational requirements are only a HS diploma, which obviously I do have...as well as some college, almost an associate of science...I have no lab experience but did similar work in food service. I mentioned all of this in my CV/resume.

The application online did not ask about any arrests or convictions at all. Usually apps will ask if you've ever been convicted of a felony etc. I have been. August 2011 I was arrested for felony theft by receiving, misdemeanor breaking or entering, and misdemanor possession of paraphernalia... This was in a different state, the offense occurred in Arkansas and now I am in NC. I am still on probation for it. FWIW I didn't steal anything...my "friends" did and I let them put the stolen sht in my car and I got caught with it.

Assuming they are going to do a background check....I'm sure I'm going to have to sign a consent form for it. Should I just straight up tell them before I sign it that I do have one 3 year old felony and misdemeanor? That way I could explain what happened rather than them just seeing the conviction and forgetting about me? Is there a chance my BG check won't even show the arrest? My mugshot isn't online anywhere, and I'm not in the AR DOC's website but I am on NC's DOC site. Burger King did a background check on me about 2 years ago before they made me manager but the BG check came back clean.

Not only do I need this job, I want it very badly. I don't know what to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 08:19 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
The fact is you were convicted of this crime. Whether or not you actually did it is not relevant to this discussion and you should have moved this through the legal system accordingly. I would say the felony would be an automatic disqualifier. If you want the job, I would try to lay low

Old 09-24-2014, 10:13 AM

3,649 posts, read 4,497,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
The fact is you were convicted of this crime. Whether or not you actually did it is not relevant to this discussion and you should have moved this through the legal system accordingly. I would say the felony would be an automatic disqualifier. If you want the job, I would try to lay low
Yes, I know. The job is processing urine samples for a lab and the crim charge is theft by receiving...so I mean...what woild I steal...****...no....wouldn't steal naything anyway obviously but you know what I mean. I do want the job...desperately. The interview is this Friday...my dad says I should e-mail the person who initiated contact with me (via e-mail) and tell them there is something to discuss.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:23 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,764,323 times
Employers are very picky these days. You better hope they don't do an extensive check, but for a job like that, they may check everything.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:30 AM

23 posts, read 40,884 times
I know youre in a tough spot here, but theft-by-receiving or any kind of theft charge and conviction is going to disqualify you for a lot of jobs.
I worked for a specimen collection lab ( quest ) for a few years back in 07-08, and back then they ran everything.

Hopefully they look past it and you get the job, best of luck!

Old 09-24-2014, 10:39 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,600,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
Tried just bumping my old thread with my questions/advice seeking but no one responded, so here ya are.

I have a job interview with LabCorp as a specimen accessioner. It's not glamorous, but it would get my foot in the door for a career in a laboratory setting which is what I really want. The position's educational requirements are only a HS diploma, which obviously I do have...as well as some college, almost an associate of science...I have no lab experience but did similar work in food service. I mentioned all of this in my CV/resume.

The application online did not ask about any arrests or convictions at all. Usually apps will ask if you've ever been convicted of a felony etc. I have been. August 2011 I was arrested for felony theft by receiving, misdemeanor breaking or entering, and misdemanor possession of paraphernalia... This was in a different state, the offense occurred in Arkansas and now I am in NC. I am still on probation for it. FWIW I didn't steal anything...my "friends" did and I let them put the stolen sht in my car and I got caught with it.

Assuming they are going to do a background check....I'm sure I'm going to have to sign a consent form for it. Should I just straight up tell them before I sign it that I do have one 3 year old felony and misdemeanor? That way I could explain what happened rather than them just seeing the conviction and forgetting about me? Is there a chance my BG check won't even show the arrest? My mugshot isn't online anywhere, and I'm not in the AR DOC's website but I am on NC's DOC site. Burger King did a background check on me about 2 years ago before they made me manager but the BG check came back clean.

I'm guessing that once you get to the place they will have you fill out a paper application that will have that question included. If it was me, I would answer it honestly and write: Yes, will explain during interview. Yes, you risk losing the opportunity if you're honest, but if you lie and they uncover it, for sure you will either lose the opportunity or lose the job if they discover it after you've been hired. At that point you'll look like a convicted felon and a liar.

If they don't notice what you've written and don't say anything during the interview I think I would bring it up. It's better to hear from you that you were young, naive, and thought you were helping a friend than to read a document that doesn't explain the situation and allows their imaginations to run wild.

If you fill out an application and it's not even asked, I would just keep it to myself for now and see what happens.

I wish you the best of luck!

Old 09-24-2014, 10:44 AM

23 posts, read 40,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I'm guessing that once you get to the place they will have you fill out a paper application that will have that question included. If it was me, I would answer it honestly and write: Yes, will explain during interview. Yes, you risk losing the opportunity if you're honest, but if you lie and they uncover it, for sure you will either lose the opportunity or lose the job if they discover it after you've been hired. At that point you'll look like a convicted felon and a liar.

If they don't notice what you've written and don't say anything during the interview I think I would bring it up. It's better to hear from you that you were young, naive, and thought you were helping a friend than to read a document that doesn't explain the situation and allows their imaginations to run wild.

If you fill out an application and it's not even asked, I would just keep it to myself for now and see what happens.

I wish you the best of luck!
Exactly this, on a side note, this poster gives the most consistently-great advice on here.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:50 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,914,733 times
I feel for you, OP, and I know you are trying hard to improve your situation.

I'm sure you can see why a specimen lab such as this would want to be VERY careful about who is handling the samples. Companies that use LabCorp want to be absolutely sure there is no breakdown in the process, and honestly this could work against you.

I would not bring it up, though.

Keep trying!

Old 09-24-2014, 10:56 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,222,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post

You really should be upfront with them and let them decide if they want to go further in the process for the interview/hiring/back ground check/drug test etc.

The details of what put you with this conviction don't really matter, almost everyone who is convicted will say they are innocent. The point is you were caught with stolen goods, you got arrested, you got convicted, did your "friends" help you out and confess? Did they get arrested? Did they get convicted?
Do you still consider them your friends?

In a few years once you are off of parole/probation, completed more classes or some sort of certification/training you may be able to get a position like this, currently this may not be the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search