Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 12:12 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,931,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random856 View Post
My friend used to work at a university, and had to hire someone. He offered the job to this one guy he really liked and felt was the best applicant. Of course, it was all based on condition that the guy passed the background check. It turned out the guy had bad credit, and the university refused to allow the applicant to continue. My friend pleaded with the university to still be allowed to hire the guy, even with the guy's bad credit history, but to no avail, the university refused to budge. It had to do with that the position involved dealing with money, and with someone who had bad credit, the university didn't trust anyone with bad credit to deal with money. The university told my friend that if the position did not involve dealing with money then he would've been able to hire the guy, no matter what his credit was like. So, yeah, it can be rescinded.
It sounds like the university used a strawman argument of well applicant K has bad credit, they might steal from us. I bolded the most important word, might. Might means there's a possibility even if it is an outside one. We can all make decisions based on outside possibilities, doesn't mean they are smart ones. Case in point the lottery which is often called the stupidity tax by people who laugh at people who buy tickets or scratches $20+ a batch. The issue is the credit check does not mean someone is a great employee or will likely steal from you because the events that would cause employee theft typically happen AFTER the employee is hired. It's like using the Zola-rythm from Captain America: The Winter Solider (basically it said who would likely end up being a threat to a peaceful state) to determine who should be taken out by drones. Even criminal records aren't the best indicators because some could have been drunken mistakes in college the applicant grew up from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2014, 12:20 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,489,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Great example.
Another one is :
Employee is eyeballs deep with credit debt. Employee embezzles to make payments.

I have terrible credit and it's all 12 years old. I have timely paid all current obligations since.

No person or animal (e.g. wolf) is at my door. For 10 years I have worked without issue handling cash in convenience stores. How am I a theft or embezzlement risk?

Old 10-12-2014, 12:22 PM

22,615 posts, read 47,734,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
How am I a theft or embezzlement risk?
No one said you were... this thread is not about you.

Old 10-12-2014, 12:24 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,931,188 times
Quote:
I think it was a rhetorical question rather than specific.

Old 10-12-2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Employers can discriminate on anything that's not protected by EEOC

There's a nonprofit that does a lot of job placement; they have a listing for Female Janitor. Is that protected by EEOC?

Old 10-12-2014, 12:29 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,701,516 times
Quote:
There's a nonprofit that does a lot of job placement; they have a listing for Female Janitor. Is that protected by EEOC?
it may be if its a BFOQ (Bon fide occupational qualification......in this case maaaybee if the janitor was in a unit of female children who had been traumatized by males. But, highly unlikely) and employers have to get pretty firmly grounded reasons for discriminating based on an EEOC protected status but it is possible in some cases.

Example: Hooters is allowed to only hire women servers.....

Old 10-12-2014, 12:52 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,659,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Money issues can often affect people's work performance. Example: Employee's car gets repossessed. Employee can't get to work.
So can issues of going through a divorce, a very ill child, having to deal with an elderly parent who can no longer live on their own, etc.

It also depends on the individual. There are people who can come into work, do a great job, and you would never know there were any major issues they were facing. They find work to be a diversion from their problems.

I worked with a guy for a couple of years whose young son had terminal cancer, we found out after the child passed. You wouldn't have known he was carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders because he didn't bring it into the office.

Old 10-12-2014, 01:11 PM

5,052 posts, read 6,354,967 times
Quote:
I have terrible credit and it's all 12 years old. I have timely paid all current obligations since.

No person or animal (e.g. wolf) is at my door. For 10 years I have worked without issue handling cash in convenience stores. How am I a theft or embezzlement risk?
How do you have 12-year old terrible credit, if you've paid since then? 7 years of timely payments (10 for a bankruptcy) = completely clean credit. Student loans remain until you pay them.

Unless you simply haven't paid on student loans. But that, of course, would not be 'timely paid on all current obligations'.

Old 10-12-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:

No, it's about the entire set of job applicants with poor credit. Thus this thread is a class action and I am a member of that class. hence it is by incorporation to an extent about me.

Old 10-12-2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
How do you have 12-year old terrible credit, if you've paid since then? 7 years of timely payments (10 for a bankruptcy) = completely clean credit. Student loans remain until you pay them.

Unless you simply haven't paid on student loans. But that, of course, would not be 'timely paid on all current obligations'.

These are all old accounts that were closed ff when I was in hospital for an extended stay with no income and unable to work. Two accounts became judgments and the other accounts get sold and re-sold to debt scavengers who re-age the accounts and keep them on my credit report.

I've been paying almost 15% of my current income toward student loans for over 10 years now, leaving me with a poverty-level income. Is that insufficient for you?

What's weird is that the student loans aren't even on my credit report.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search