Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 08:53 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,432,748 times

Advertisements

Because they can. They can also refuse to hire you because you smell bad. However if you had accepted an offer and they didn't specify that the offer was contingent upon you passing a credit score then you could sue them. But these days companies are very good about documenting everything related to HR. Something you signed said the offer was contingent upon successful passing of a background check (including credit).

Just consider this a lesson learned in not ignoring your bills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 08:58 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,432,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? I have been paying nothing on the 12-year-old charged off debts. They remain on my credit report because debt scavengers buy them and re-age the accounts; there is no billing or monthly minimum payments.. The only debt on which I have been paying is the student loan debt; after taxes and student loan payments I live at poverty level and there is no money left to repay other debts. The poverty level income is relevant because it means there's not enough money to pay current bills and to also retire those 12-year-old debts. Student loan collectors are pretty sure they are entitles to their money before all else except taxes and child support.

Those old debts were charged off long ago and nobody is actively pursuing collection. I'm not going to wake them up now because that could impair my ability to meet current obligations like rent and utilities. If I ever have money I'll go for a discounted lump sum settlement.
They cannot legally re-age the debt just by buying it. That's a violation of the Fair Credit Act. Sue them.

Old 10-13-2014, 09:01 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,716,683 times
I feel it does...I moved out of the house about over a year ago. Had stellar credit one thing led to another, opened a few credit cards. Then went from living on paycheck to paycheck...loss my job now back at home with my mom. Being on unemployment applied to over 1,000 jobs within a five month time frame. So far only about twenty call backs, ten interviews, and one job offer. Now starting a underemployed and underpaid job. Fix your credit and keep that credit good it helps.

Question thought do you believe per diem jobs/temporary jobs possibly are less lenient regarding credit issues?

Old 10-13-2014, 09:13 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,482,314 times
With positions of security, if your credit goes sour, they can terminate you if it makes you someone who's more able to be blackmailed or bought off.

Old 10-13-2014, 12:02 PM

11,378 posts, read 9,296,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Because they can. They can also refuse to hire you because you smell bad. However if you had accepted an offer and they didn't specify that the offer was contingent upon you passing a credit score then you could sue them. But these days companies are very good about documenting everything related to HR. Something you signed said the offer was contingent upon successful passing of a background check (including credit).

Just consider this a lesson learned in not ignoring your bills.
The ignorance of some posters on this board is amazing to me. What I bolded ranks towards the top.

Here is an article for you to read, something I thought everyone knew because it is common knowledge:

Medical bills prompt more than 60 percent of U.S. bankruptcies - CNN.com

Excerpt:
Quote:
This year, an estimated 1.5 million Americans will declare bankruptcy. Many people may chalk up that misfortune to overspending or a lavish lifestyle, but a new study suggests that more than 60 percent of people who go bankrupt are actually capsized by medical bills.
Quote:
They concluded that 62.1 percent of the bankruptcies were medically related because the individuals either had more than $5,000 (or 10 percent of their pretax income) in medical bills, mortgaged their home to pay for medical bills, or lost significant income due to an illness. On average, medically bankrupt families had $17,943 in out-of-pocket expenses, including $26,971 for those who lacked insurance and $17,749 who had insurance at some point.
Overall, three-quarters of the people with a medically-related bankruptcy had health insurance, they say.
"That was actually the predominant problem in patients in our study -- 78 percent of them had health insurance, but many of them were bankrupted anyway because there were gaps in their coverage like co-payments and deductibles and uncovered services," says Woolhandler. "Other people had private insurance but got so sick that they lost their job and lost their insurance."
The Web is full of stories like this. Don't be so quick to judge someone with credit problems. Here is a more recent article but a simple search will bring you many of these:
http://www.cnbc.com/id/100840148

Quote:
"A lot of Americans are struggling with medical bills," said NerdWallet Health Vice President Christina LaMontagne.
NerdWallet estimates that households containing 1.7 million people will file for bankruptcy protection this year.
Even outside of bankruptcy, about 56 million adults—more than 20 percent of the population between the ages of 19 and 64—will still struggle with health-care-related bills this year, according to NerdWallet Health.

Last edited by John13; 10-13-2014 at 12:15 PM..

Old 10-13-2014, 12:10 PM

1,624 posts, read 2,040,806 times
Would you rather hire a felon with excellent credit or a non felon with a clean record with bad credit?.

Old 10-13-2014, 01:06 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,326,725 times
I've had several jobs where I was financially responsible in the position. When you sell cars (think: $55,000 sports car) they thoroughly vet you. I've also been the manager of a store. Less of a vetting process but they still checked credit. In both cases, my credit was non-existent to bad. I got those jobs.

During the Great Recession, I lost a house. That was more due to divorce than anything but still, I was in foreclosure. I don't owe anything, it was a wash. I've held licenses that come with extreme fiduciary responsibility. I've been fingerprinted three times and credit was run twice. Licensing - and getting jobs - has not been a problem.

Why? Because there aren't any bankruptcies, judgements, liens, regarding a business that I owned or monies that I held for someone else. They look for fraudulent dealings. Do you owe someone or entity a lot of money? Those are all excellent reasons not to hire someone. If I have a $25,000 judgement and I have open access to expensive vehicles, the till, someone's money, I may be tempted to dip into it. And of course if I've ever been convicted of something, especially when it comes to money or a felony, but other things as well, then good luck getting those kinds of jobs.

I've had very good credit and very bad credit in my rather long lifetime and it's never held me back from getting a job. But most employers, including government jobs, look for more than just that.

If folks aren't getting jobs it may be due to the economy in your area, your work history or lack thereof, a vindictive ex-employer, or YOU. Chances are not very high it is due to credit. If you owe a lot of money, are a felon, took money from an employer, or your Girl Scout den, then I'd worry about it.

Old 10-13-2014, 01:43 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,931,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I've had several jobs where I was financially responsible in the position. When you sell cars (think: $55,000 sports car) they thoroughly vet you. I've also been the manager of a store. Less of a vetting process but they still checked credit. In both cases, my credit was non-existent to bad. I got those jobs.

During the Great Recession, I lost a house. That was more due to divorce than anything but still, I was in foreclosure. I don't owe anything, it was a wash. I've held licenses that come with extreme fiduciary responsibility. I've been fingerprinted three times and credit was run twice. Licensing - and getting jobs - has not been a problem.

Why? Because there aren't any bankruptcies, judgements, liens, regarding a business that I owned or monies that I held for someone else. They look for fraudulent dealings. Do you owe someone or entity a lot of money? Those are all excellent reasons not to hire someone. If I have a $25,000 judgement and I have open access to expensive vehicles, the till, someone's money, I may be tempted to dip into it. And of course if I've ever been convicted of something, especially when it comes to money or a felony, but other things as well, then good luck getting those kinds of jobs.

I've had very good credit and very bad credit in my rather long lifetime and it's never held me back from getting a job. But most employers, including government jobs, look for more than just that.

If folks aren't getting jobs it may be due to the economy in your area, your work history or lack thereof, a vindictive ex-employer, or YOU. Chances are not very high it is due to credit. If you owe a lot of money, are a felon, took money from an employer, or your Girl Scout den, then I'd worry about it.
The keyword is MAY. Someone who faced bankruptcies, liens, etc COULD steal, so could others to be fair. It's possible that anyone can steal whether you have documented money issues or you do not.

Old 10-13-2014, 03:47 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,979,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
You really had to dig deep to come up with that one.

I can't think of any reason why employers do this but I have heard of it. Seems cruel and inhumane to me. It should be illegal.
I couldn't agree more. It's ridiculous that an employer would say no to giving a job to the person who needs it more than anyone. And before someone hits me with the, "It's a business, not a charity" line, I'll point out that there is zero evidence that employees with poor credit are more likely to be thieves or otherwise less deserving of a job. In other news, haven't we had several threads on this topic already?

Old 10-13-2014, 05:42 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,714,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Great example.
Another one is :
Employee is eyeballs deep with credit debt. Employee embezzles to make payments.
Oh, BULLTURD!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search