Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 12:25 AM

23 posts, read 40,913 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I was unemployed for two months, during that time I applied to a ton of companies, I interviewed with three of them.

Two of them are direct-hire permanent jobs, the third was a temp agency, now, I know everyone has their own opinions on temp agencies, but in my experience I would much rather skip them all together and set the direct hires as priority jobs.

I received two offers, both from the direct hires, I chose one and told the recruiter thanks for your time but Ive accepted a position elsewhere, I thought this was the end of it...

But this recruiter calls me atleast 2-3 times a week, always asking me where Im working, who Im working for, who hired me, where else did I apply etc.

I dont want to burn a bridge, but this person is now calling me during my working hours, Im at the point where Im about to tell her to buzz off, but I would hate to burn a bridge with the agency, what do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 02:16 PM

804 posts, read 1,076,254 times
I hate recruiters f them all. they never found me a job and the worse interviews I have been on was setup by them. get on the job site and start posting your resume.

Old 10-17-2014, 05:10 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,434,650 times
Tell them bluntly that you are no longer searching and would appreciate it they stop contacting you. Or block their number if you have that option.

Old 10-18-2014, 04:18 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,032,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gianoah View Post
Ok, so I was unemployed for two months, during that time I applied to a ton of companies, I interviewed with three of them.

Two of them are direct-hire permanent jobs, the third was a temp agency, now, I know everyone has their own opinions on temp agencies, but in my experience I would much rather skip them all together and set the direct hires as priority jobs.

I received two offers, both from the direct hires, I chose one and told the recruiter thanks for your time but Ive accepted a position elsewhere, I thought this was the end of it...

But this recruiter calls me atleast 2-3 times a week, always asking me where Im working, who Im working for, who hired me, where else did I apply etc.

I dont want to burn a bridge, but this person is now calling me during my working hours, Im at the point where Im about to tell her to buzz off, but I would hate to burn a bridge with the agency, what do?
Just let them know you accepted another opportunity and thanks for the recruiter for the consideration. And you accepting offers that are permanent positions makes more sense because temp agencies are for

when you have no income and UC ran out or close to running out

recent college grads who are looking to get a cash flow

The goal should always be a permanent position and have a temp agency as an emergency back up option.

Old 10-18-2014, 04:18 PM

435 posts, read 635,710 times
Quote:
But this recruiter calls me atleast 2-3 times a week, always asking me where Im working, who Im working for, who hired me, where else did I apply etc.?
You need to go ahead and burn the bridge. She is harassing you. The reason she wants to know where else you applied, is so that she can find out about other job openings and place some of her own people in those jobs.
You are under no obligation to keep feeding her all this helpful information. Tell her to find job openings on her own, and to leave you alone. Go ahead and burn the bridge.

Old 10-19-2014, 06:49 AM

23 posts, read 40,913 times
I actually went ahead and burned the bridge Friday morning.

She called twice, and started getting pretty irritated that I would not tell her where I was working or where I applied, so finally I said " find your own leads and stop calling my line, please, this is borderline creepy. " She uttered a loud ( exaggerated ) gasp and slammed the phone.

Jeez where do they find these people.

Old 10-19-2014, 03:22 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,032,219 times
Quote:
I actually went ahead and burned the bridge Friday morning.

She called twice, and started getting pretty irritated that I would not tell her where I was working or where I applied, so finally I said " find your own leads and stop calling my line, please, this is borderline creepy. " She uttered a loud ( exaggerated ) gasp and slammed the phone.

Jeez where do they find these people.

When I was asked by a person at a temp agency where else I interviewed I just smiled and changed the subject lol

Old 10-19-2014, 04:35 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,462,850 times
They are terrible. These headhunters are without limits. I consider some things they practice very annoying:
1) Try to squeeze new leads (to harass) from people they already know (although it doesn't help them in the majority of cases)
2) Once every month they scan their database "to touch base" with former applicants, without having any job offer. Just to say "hello".
3) Being unprofessional with tech jobs. People who have no clue about technology and the many fields, mixing up details, offering the wrong jobs to the wrong people. A friend of mine specified in the resume that she will not consider relocation, yet they keep offering her jobs that require relocation.

Old 10-19-2014, 04:43 PM

35,083 posts, read 31,322,562 times
They just want their commissions and will nag you until you just blow up.

Old 10-19-2014, 04:55 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,296,127 times
Quote:

Block the number, or add it as a contact so you can at least screen it and let it go to voicemail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search