Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2014, 08:47 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times

Advertisements

While working on an assessment today and saw a question that I thought made no sense. The question was, "do you seek companionship?" with the answer being on the spectrum from strongly disagree to strongly agree.

What questions that you have seen an assessments or heard on interviews that you do not like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 08:59 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,428,453 times
Well, if I don't know what it is, then I probably don't seek it.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:00 PM

493 posts, read 980,967 times
When I applied for Target in high school they had some really weird ones, the one that stood out the most was:

What percentage of politicians are dishonest?

In Computer Programming the ones I hate the most are theoretical/academic questions. I had a couple interviews that asked me to explain the difference between an abstract class and an interface. It would be one thing if I was a recent graduate, but I hadn't been in school for four years at that point and that had never come up in a real world setting. Same thing with questions about Big Oh Notation. Purely academic, and the kind of thing that would just require a real quick Google if it ever came up for real, which in all my years programming professionally it never has come up outside of school.

I also hate "How much do you want to be paid?" I can research market rate easily enough, but it's usually a hefty range and saying a number too low or too high can both screw me over.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:07 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,428,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awestover89 View Post
When I applied for Target in high school they had some really weird ones, the one that stood out the most was:

In Computer Programming the ones I hate the most are theoretical/academic questions. I had a couple interviews that asked me to explain the difference between an abstract class and an interface. It would be one thing if I was a recent graduate, but I hadn't been in school for four years at that point and that had never come up in a real world setting. Same thing with questions about Big Oh Notation. Purely academic, and the kind of thing that would just require a real quick Google if it ever came up for real, which in all my years programming professionally it never has come up outside of school.

I also hate "How much do you want to be paid?" I can research market rate easily enough, but it's usually a hefty range and saying a number too low or too high can both screw me over.

In computer programming we actually have people that can answer a simple question, like "how much money do you want ?"

FYI, It's a qualifying question for the job, they are asking if you are a SR, Mid-level or a JR.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:10 PM

Quote:

Yeah it is a silly one. I often answer the closest to 0 because I think most are mostly honest, it's just they use facts that support their side to an issue and block out others that don't help the cause.

Old 11-13-2014, 09:10 AM

493 posts, read 980,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
In computer programming we actually have people that can answer a simple question, like "how much money do you want ?"

FYI, It's a qualifying question for the job, they are asking if you are a SR, Mid-level or a JR.
No, I know and I always have an answer available, I just hate the question, because while the average for a mid level in my area might be about 70K, there are plenty of places that pay as high as 80K or as low as 60K. I'm fine with setting a lower threshold, but if I say the average of 70K, or even 70-75K, and the company was willing to go as high as 80K I just screwed myself over. That's the only interview question that I heavily second guess myself over afterwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Yeah it is a silly one. I often answer the closest to 0 because I think most are mostly honest, it's just they use facts that support their side to an issue and block out others that don't help the cause.
This was about ten years ago so I can't remember exactly, but pretty sure I said around 75%.

Old 11-13-2014, 10:58 AM

Quote:
No, I know and I always have an answer available, I just hate the question, because while the average for a mid level in my area might be about 70K, there are plenty of places that pay as high as 80K or as low as 60K. I'm fine with setting a lower threshold, but if I say the average of 70K, or even 70-75K, and the company was willing to go as high as 80K I just screwed myself over. That's the only interview question that I heavily second guess myself over afterwards.

This was about ten years ago so I can't remember exactly, but pretty sure I said around 75%.
The pay range is hard to figure out because they may pay higher or lower than the market rates depending on what they think. It's hard to negotiate when they hold all the power. Companies feel they can get you to work for less and if you want true market rates, they can find someone who wants to work for their pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search