Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 03:53 PM

612 posts, read 1,513,889 times

Advertisements

I have been interviewed by many companies before but no one has ever asked for paystubs from the present company. I understand if they are about to hire me and ask for the paystubs for some reason. But I am just in the mid of interview process with this company and I asked the HR if the company sponsors work visa since I would need one. She emailed me few questions about my work visa at present workplace and also asked for my paystub.

I had technical interview with them and I haven't received my results yet. Other companies usually reply in flat yes/no answer if they sponsor work visa.

Is it common for the companies to ask for paystubs while interviewing? I was thinking to reply her with answers to other questions and for paystubs I would say I will provide them once we move ahead with the other interviews/if I get hired. Would saying this sound rude?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 04:40 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,524,257 times
why is it their business what you're currently being paid? No it's not common at all. It's actually confidential info. They want to lowball you. Is this an American company in the U.S.? Your current paystub reveals your single/married status, how many dependents you have and other financial private info. This info on the paystub could be quietly used to discriminate by now hiring or lowball you with a lower offer than you are looking for. I would speak to an attorney before giving anybody my paystubs. Are you for real?

Old 01-06-2015, 04:47 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,907,374 times
Ask to see theirs first

Old 01-06-2015, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBurgh View Post
Ask to see theirs first

hahah.lol Seriously.

Old 01-06-2015, 05:09 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
I would just tell them you'd be happy to provide them with stubs if you get to the point where an offer is made, but you don't hand over stubs or references unless that happens.

And I agree with Mystique - they want to lowball you.

Old 01-06-2015, 05:14 PM

We live in America; not the Soviet Union where they actually used to ask for $stubs. You are free to decline, and no KGB is going to follow you around.

Old 01-06-2015, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
why is it their business what you're currently being paid? No it's not common at all. It's actually confidential info. They want to lowball you. Is this an American company in the U.S.? Your current paystub reveals your single/married status, how many dependents you have and other financial private info. This info on the paystub could be quietly used to discriminate by now hiring or lowball you with a lower offer than you are looking for. I would speak to an attorney before giving anybody my paystubs. Are you for real?
Even I was worried about the private info in my paystub with the present employer and on top of all of that I was surprised for them to ask this while the interview process is still on. Yes they are a American US based company. Else I am thinking to wait and not reply anything until I get my interview results. If results are positive I will still drag it until I get the offer and then talk to an attorney who would handle my visa transfers.

Old 01-06-2015, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBurgh View Post
Ask to see theirs first
Hahaha lol.

Old 01-06-2015, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I would just tell them you'd be happy to provide them with stubs if you get to the point where an offer is made, but you don't hand over stubs or references unless that happens.

And I agree with Mystique - they want to lowball you.
Yup that's what I was thinking of. Keep dragging on it until an offer is made and only if I am willing to accept it too.

I just wanted to confirm the visa thing from them in advance so if they don't sponsor it then there is no point in interviewing any further.

Old 01-06-2015, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
We live in America; not the Soviet Union where they actually used to ask for $stubs. You are free to decline, and no KGB is going to follow you around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search