Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2015, 06:18 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,733,619 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am actively seeking new job prospects. I have never had any issue's with past employer's. I understand that employers should only verify employment dates of work when asked. However, some can go further and at times cause issue's leading to defamation of character.

My current employer has been just trouble after trouble. I get along with everyone I work with and just do my work till I leave. Except issue with two individuals I feel could possibly be critique my work performance. One is the bosses best friend so many of us are on egg shells with him when we work. The other employee is new and has a different approach to doing the work. Probably over thinking the situation, but after a situation we worked on together in response to and after thing's settled down he directly went to talk to the boss. About what I do not know, but I know a week later I received a notice that my position possibly would not be available anymore. From there was encouraged to apply to a different department.

I work night shifts so only two people are on through out the night. There are no supervisors/management working, unless they pick up.a shift. Any unforseen circumstances that involve life or death situations are encouraged to contact our boss. Last night the second employee scheduled for that shift never showed up. Waited for an hour than decided to just cover my butt sent my boss a text that the second co worker is not here and what to do next. Never received any response or call back. In the morning received a response that wasn't good I worked alone last night.

Now worried about losing my job since everyone is on a year probation when they start out with the company and can be fired without any type of warnings. However, greater concern is if this employer will give any egative feedback to prospective employers and if I do get fired feel that I am screwed in regards to finding any future employment.

Seeking some feedback please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2015, 08:56 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,687 posts, read 81,510,683 times
Employer with a policy limiting verification to dates/salary/title are doing so in order to avoid possible lawsuits, because of the legal costs to defend them. It's not illegal, nor defamation of character to give truthful negative, even detailed information about an employee. When there is such a policy, the manager or supervisor normally would refer any questions to HR, however some may go ahead and give out information. In cases where someone fails to pass probation, any employer could say "he/she did not pass probation" and have no fear of lawsuit, since it's factual. There's really know way to know. You can ask HR what their policy is, but but there are no guarantees. Any time someone is in danger of not passing probation, it's best to start looking and hopefully find a new job before they are let go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search