Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2015, 08:56 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
More than one..oh, the humanity.
It aint just me either. Survey after survey shows worker disengagement is 70-80%. Around 3/4 of employees hate their jobs and employers. It reflects the transition from employees as members of the team to be nurtured to parasites to starve and TP to use up and dispose and a complete breakdown of meritocracy and motivation in the work place. No mater what you do and how hard you work there is no reward at most places except bending over and getting it even harder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 08:57 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
A decent person wouldn't answer no unless they stole, drank on the job or similar. The only time I had to deal with a bad reference was my sociopathic PI from grad school. Fortunately, I was able to bypass him and just put the head of the department down. If I was at the mercy of his recommendation I'd fake rather than take your advice and work a retail gig since he does not deserve to have that power over me or anyone.

Basically would you rehire them is asking do you like the person. There are tons of bosses and workers who didn't like each other. In fact that is one of the top reasons people quit. Should they all just be truthful and work menial jobs because they had a bad boss? I'm afraid lying is the only way workers are going to empower them-self.
This has nothing to do with being a decent person. It has to do with a company's reputation. There are people that worked under me that I would never rehire because of poor work ethic or they weren't good at their job. I am not going to put my neck out for someone like that.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:12 PM

154 posts, read 261,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
This has nothing to do with being a decent person. It has to do with a company's reputation. There are people that worked under me that I would never rehire because of poor work ethic or they weren't good at their job. I am not going to put my neck out for someone like that.
Wouldn't it be best to just say nothing at all

Old 01-16-2015, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerBlossom2015 View Post
If you don't have anything nice to say just say nothing... words of wisdom. A negative reference should only be given to wilfully bad employees.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:17 PM

Quote:
What would you suggest? Seriously how can you say nothing? I have never bashed anyone. Never gone in to detail.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:21 PM

Bully bosses are out there and sadistic/sociopathic ones too. They aren't even that uncommon as many companies reward sociopathic behaviour. You can bet they give negative references regardless of the worker's work habits and the quality of their work. Except they don't even have to elaborate or substantiate it. They can just quietly say no I wouldn't rehire them. As I said the one time I had a reference issue was with a sociopathic PI who did it to a colleague who then alerted me.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:24 PM

So you are telling me to do, what I do? Saying no, I wouldn't rehire?

Old 01-16-2015, 09:25 PM

154 posts, read 261,617 times
Quote:
What would you suggest? Seriously how can you say nothing? I have never bashed anyone. Never gone in to detail.
It doesn't take much to bash a person or ruin their reputation. If you didn't approve of a person you should've handled it through taking disciplinary actions while they worked for you. People change so once they've departed why would you attempt to destroy them. If you have nothing nice to say then say nothing at all

Old 01-16-2015, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Say I can't comment.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:33 PM

Quote:
It doesn't take much to bash a person or ruin their reputation. If you didn't approve of a person you should've handled it through taking disciplinary actions while they worked for you. People change so once they've departed why would you attempt to destroy them. If you have nothing nice to say then say nothing at all
You still aren't answering the question. The person was put through disciplinary action, three write ups and then fired. I am not attempting to destroy anyone. Would I hire them? No. So when someone calls for a reference I should just be quite on the phone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search