Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2015, 09:53 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,981,706 times

Advertisements

MSchemist, Surveys say? What is this..family feud?

Read post 1 again. The OP hates people, and the same problem repeats itself. That's a red flag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 09:57 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,760,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Say I can't comment.
Yes that won't send up any red flags

Old 01-16-2015, 10:01 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,981,706 times
OP"Wouldn't it be best to just say nothing at all."

No. The truth is always the best policy. Do a good job next time, OP, and the truth will be your friend.

Old 01-16-2015, 10:50 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,342,523 times
Quote:
I would create fake jobs and fake references. If I know I will be stereotyped and treated unfairly I will return in kind.
I seriously hope nobody takes your advise as it is completely dishonest. With today's technology, it's very easy to find out who you worked for in the past so you'll get caught lieing. Also, the OP admitted she left without giving notice, she didn't say she was stereotyped of even treated badly. She said the previous companies just weren't a good fit, that happens. SMH

Old 01-16-2015, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerBlossom2015 View Post
I don't have anyone at those jobs. It's seems like employers don't care about the references that you list. They'll call the former employers anyway. Of course I list people that like me and would say good things about me as references. I know that I've been blackballed because thankfully potential employers and HR reps have told me some of the horrible things that have been said about me. Most of it is exaggerated or false but I don't know want to do if they ignore the references I provide and contact people via LinkedIn and fish around and find my old managers without my consent. I know I should have left those employers in a more graceful fashion but I don't feel like I should be punished for the rest of my life
Why don't you offer to intern at no pay for a few weeks in order to prove your worth and show them you really want the job. People make mistakes so you'll have to find a way to redeem yourself and rebuild your credibility.

Old 01-16-2015, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hautemomma View Post
If you know ex-employers are actually telling prospective companies not to hire you, you should hire an attorney and have them receive a cease and desist letter, stating that all they can share is the fact that you were a former employee. I've heard about this being done in cases like this, and I do not know how effective it is or what the process is, but it is certainly worth investigating in your case.
There are now laws in many states where this will do no good.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Have a friend pose as a manager or there is actually a company [careerexcuse] that you can pay to do this for you. they will create a fake job at a fake (looks real) company.

As for former employers bad-mouthing you that is not typical. Most places will give titles and dates of employment as they risk a lawsuit if they badmouth you and it is not worth the legal liability exposure. You can hire Allyson Taylor or another service to call posing as a reference checker and notarize what is being said. A cease and desist letter (templates available online) can then be sent to the former manager and HR dept and that will most often cause them to stop doing it for the aforementioned reasons.
WOW!!!! I cannot believe what I'm reading here at all. Do you have no ethics at all??? Shame on you

Old 01-16-2015, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveswater_outdoors View Post
Actually you are wrong. Many states dictate that there are certain things employers cannot discuss in regards to a former employee. Opinion of an employee in many states is illegal to discuss. Most states require that you stick to facts about the employee, and performance evaluations. Sadly the right to work states in the South mainly have very little to no laws protecting employees. The problem is proving what they did or didn't say, since it is usually between two employers it would take the other employer turning them in and that doesn't happen. Most companies collude and it is rarely possible to prove it.
Read up on CURRENT employment laws. Due to negligent hiring lawsuits, laws have changed in many states that REQUIRE former employers to give details they weren't required to give in the past and are protected by law for doing so

Old 01-16-2015, 11:50 PM

Quote:
If the OP is careful he won't get caught. Even if he does eventually he will get away with it. It is a much better option than being honest and unemployed for the next 10 years while he spins his wheels hoping to find an "understanding employer". That is the best advice anyone can give him other than the cease and desist letter and trying to get his past employers to shut up.
Wrong, wrong, wrong!!!! OP, this person has NO integrity!!!! Do NOT take any advice from him/her

Old 01-17-2015, 12:00 AM

Quote:
You don't need an attorney to send a cease and desist letter. There are templates available. If they get an official and threatening looking letter like that they are going to think gee do I want to keep bad mouthing the OP and pay good money to possibly defend a lawsuit or do I want to just shut up and give titles and dates of employment like most employers with 2 brain cells to rub together would do.
You, my friend, are an idiot who obviously do not know diddly about the hiring process. Can't say this enough, OP, do NOT take this persons advice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search