Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 09:51 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,531,712 times

Advertisements

Now I can see a justification for a very long application if one actually has a conditional job offer or if it's a high security position, like a police officer or teacher or bank, but I just spent 45 minutes filling out one for Goodyear, as a driver, which, certainly is not a high security position.

They also ask questions, like "Have you ever been fired?" (ever, even if it was beyond the statue of limitations of disclosure in the state you reside), "How many times have you been late or sick in your last long term job?" (a prior employer cannot answer that question anyway, even if they called them) and even asked for my birthdate on a "for identification purposes only" form and I thought for sure, that was illegal, until a job offer was actually made.

Opinions? If I can see from the start that the application is that long, I usually don't apply for the job, since that could tell me something about the company's culture. I only finished this one, since, it wasn't clear that the app would be that long and I figured I might as well just complete it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 10:06 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,835,038 times
Sadly most customer service-types of jobs for large companies have applications like that. I'll do that if I want the job bad enough, but if not, I won't bother. It all depends.

Old 01-18-2015, 10:15 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,531,712 times
I don't see the point. Often, most people, who are already in not the best mood to start with since they're unemployed or underemployed, don't have that much patience or time. Unless, they're sincere about going further with those, that actually take the time to fill out an application that long. But, car rental companies, retail stores and restaurants doing this? It's crap.

Old 01-18-2015, 10:40 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,296,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
I don't see the point. Often, most people, who are already in not the best mood to start with since they're unemployed or underemployed, don't have that much patience or time. Unless, they're sincere about going further with those, that actually take the time to fill out an application that long. But, car rental companies, retail stores and restaurants doing this? It's crap.
Then don't apply. That's what I would do if I feel the long process isn't worth the effort for the advertised job.

As for the bolded part - I don't see why that's any of the employer's concern (or business). They have a need to fill positions, and they develop/procure a way to accept applicant's resumes/information. Perhaps some of these questions were just defaulted into the solution they purchased. If the job is desirable enough for me, I'll jump through a few more hoops. If not, I move on.

Old 01-18-2015, 11:47 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,537,926 times
The process can be much longer than it needs to be. Used to be that a resume contained enough information for an employer to decide if they wanted to talk to you. If they like you, they call you. If the conversation goes well you're invited for an interview where you physically fill out a paper application. The idea that I should give them so much information before I know they are interested in me is a turn off. I filled out 100's of these things online; same story as OP 45 minutes in and I'm finally ready to hit continue and find yet even more to fill out. The idea that I have to create an "account" in order to even start is an even bigger turn off! A simple email form is all that is needed and many, if not the majority, go much further than that! I gave up and became self employed hoping I will never ever have to go through that again! So far its working out for me!

Old 01-18-2015, 01:04 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,774,511 times
Lets look at from the employers side. They want to hire a well qualified person, that will also fit in with their present work force.

They have two choices, a short app that does not give them enough information to decide to interview a person, and do 500 interviews. This would be crazy, as they have a lot more to do that interview 500 people.

Have a long app, and learn enough about the person to evaluate if they can do the job, and be compatible with the others on the work force. They ask a lot of questions, they would ask at an interview. They will spend a minute or two, looking at some of the app to see if the person is qualified. If that goes well, they read a few more of the answers, and if you pass that scan, they go further into the app and select the ones that best fit the education, experience, and possibly will fit in with the work force. The few that pass the entire process, will be offered an interview.

They don't have time to interview everyone. They have developed a system in their detailed app to be able to come down to the final selection that may qualify you for the job and be compatible to work with. That detailed app is your first interview, like it or not.

In many parts of he country, they will get hundreds and possibly over a thousand apps for every job. There has to be some way to the wheat (qualified applicant) from the chaff (not qualified but applied anyway). The detailed app, has replaced the first interview. It saves them a tremendous amount of time, that is needed for their other duties.

Hint: Don't apply for a job, that you really are not qualified for and save you and the HM a lot of time and trouble. Reason: There are going to be a number of applicants that meet the companies needs. The detailed app, is designed to get rid of a lot of those that are not qualified in a very quick method. At the same time, those that meet the job qualifications exactly will be interviewed.

Old 01-18-2015, 04:02 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,637,581 times
What's your impression of companies that make you fill out long and very detailed applications?

Not good I can tell you that.

Old 01-18-2015, 05:17 PM

12,109 posts, read 23,296,566 times
Your first problem is not having any idea what a potential employer is allowed to ask you, nor what a previous employer is allowed to say about you. A potential employer can ask damn near anything they want and, a previous employer can say anything they want as long as it is the truth, to include how many times you were late, and how many times you called off sick. There are a significant number of people who are simply ignorant about labor law, but that does not keep them from perpetuating false information, especially on this forum. So, it sounds like you believe whoever is feeding you a bunch of crap. Please do yourself a favor and educate yourself on the matter. It is easy enough to do on line and in a short period of time.

As far as Goodyear goes, as a driver you will have unfettered and unsupervised access to thousands of dollars worth of desirable product that must be delivered on time, so they want the most reliable person they can find.

Old 01-18-2015, 05:25 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
I have never seen those kind of questions for good jobs, usually I only hear about them for the minimum wage, retail, and service jobs where it's more important to be there with the high turnover, and difficulty in covering for someone that doesn't show up. If someone is out of working and wants a job, they have to either play along, or lose an opportunity.

In my case where the lowest paid subordinate is at about $24/hour, that kind of question is not asked, but we depend on good references, and the 6 month probation period.

Old 01-18-2015, 05:29 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,438,836 times
humouring companies that jerk you around or waste your time rarely results in a decent job with a good company. I've learned that the hard way. At the minimum their HR people are off their leash and incompetent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search