Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2015, 07:06 PM

405 posts, read 573,101 times

Advertisements

I don't know, I guess I am over thinking it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
It's alarming that they want to hire you?? You obviously made a great impression and they want to hire you before someone else does. if you aren't interested, then say no, but if you want the job, then it's a great opportunity to join a company that is so interested in hiring you.

But negotiate for more money than they offered, even if it's well above your current salary. Most women don't negotiate and leave money on the table. Don't go crazy but they probably have enough room for one more counter beyond their initial offer.
I always counter but in this instance I was only considering countering, but he specifically said he didn't want to get into a bidding war so I'm going to make you an aggressive offer. I felt if I countered I would just come off as greedy as they offered 20% more than I make now.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 08:07 PM

153 posts, read 191,997 times
Is there something about the job making you not that into it? Or are you more excited by the other interviews? Doesn't seem like their excitement to hire you is reciprocated.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandsharkJB View Post
Is there something about the job making you not that into it? Or are you more excited by the other interviews? Doesn't seem like their excitement to hire you is reciprocated.
The environement and area is not what I'm used to and the fact that I can't look up reviews from current or past employees bothers me. It's a smaller company so I just looked up every employer I could on LinkedIN and they all left Fortune 500 companies to come there so I guess that is a good sign as I would expect the opposite. But you're correct, I am not excited yet as I would like to see how the interview I have next week will go and get more information regarding that job.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:42 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,602,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyab523 View Post
The environement and area is not what I'm used to and the fact that I can't look up reviews from current or past employees bothers me. It's a smaller company so I just looked up every employer I could on LinkedIN and they all left Fortune 500 companies to come there so I guess that is a good sign as I would expect the opposite. But you're correct, I am not excited yet as I would like to see how the interview I have next week will go and get more information regarding that job.
If you haven't looked at this, try seeing how long those employees have been with the company once they left their F500 jobs. I think a search on LI may even show you people who were with the company but have left, so looking at how long they stayed may be good, too.

Also, I'm not sure how waiting for your next interview is going to help you make a decision. Even if you have that interview on Monday, the best day to have it so you're not risking losing this other opportunity, they probably won't be ready to make a decision immediately, so you'll still have to give this company your answer.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:43 AM

5,208 posts, read 4,669,168 times
All you are doing is giving ammunition to employers who already think employees are impossible to please. The horror of being given an offer too soon!

Old 02-19-2015, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
If you haven't looked at this, try seeing how long those employees have been with the company once they left their F500 jobs. I think a search on LI may even show you people who were with the company but have left, so looking at how long they stayed may be good, too.

Also, I'm not sure how waiting for your next interview is going to help you make a decision. Even if you have that interview on Monday, the best day to have it so you're not risking losing this other opportunity, they probably won't be ready to make a decision immediately, so you'll still have to give this company your answer.
Upper levels are all 3 years or less and I couldn't find anyone on LinkedIn that had them listed as a past employer. I do know they have a new CEO who has a strong track record of increasing revenue. emm75 comment about not countering like I always do is also weighing on me so I'm going to use the "my employer countered and I need to think about it" excuse to get more information about where they are headed and see if they will come up.

Well before I set up the interview I asked when they would make a decision as I'm actively interviewing, I was told later that week. But knowing from what I've read on here I should know better.

Old 02-19-2015, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
All you are doing is giving ammunition to employers who already think employees are impossible to please. The horror of being given an offer too soon!
It's sad but heres the thing. I'm used to the competitive job market where I get a low ball offer 2 months later, I'm eliminated in the phone screen because my salary is to high, or someone is more experienced than me and is potentially cheaper. So when I entered the interview with this company and they tell me you had the best resume amongst everyone, they skip interviews for me and I get an offer 3 weeks after I applied for more than what I stated my attitude is, "What's wrong with your company?". It's like that really good deal that your like wait a minute...

Could everyone with a crappy resume submitted to the job? It's possible but very slim. Could everyone they interviewed just been terrible? Possibly but again I doubt it. So this is why I need to dig deeper. My job requires me to work in software regularly which they don't have, I'm guessing this may have scared some people off in the phone screen but they are getting software this year so I doubt that's it.

Old 02-19-2015, 10:55 AM

897 posts, read 1,180,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
Pretty much. I find jobs that go "by the book" are the better ones. They have... healthier practices. At my last job they also were very weird and didn't respect the fact that I wanted to give a 2 week notice. But again, it was all a learning experience. They basically rushed me and my dumb*ss took it as them being so excited to have found such a great employee!

Wrong. We'll see what this job holds for you, Sonya.

Old 02-19-2015, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjury15 View Post
Pretty much. I find jobs that go "by the book" are the better ones. They have... healthier practices. At my last job they also were very weird and didn't respect the fact that I wanted to give a 2 week notice. But again, it was all a learning experience. They basically rushed me and my dumb*ss took it as them being so excited to have found such a great employee!

Wrong. We'll see what this job holds for you, Sonya.
Well this company is respectful of my 2 week notice so that's not an issue. Did the company have any reviews on glassdoor that you could have checked out before accepting?

Old 02-19-2015, 01:11 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,984,826 times
"I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member."

-Groucho Marx

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search