Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 06:45 PM

897 posts, read 1,181,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
I'm the same way as you, I'm an introvert and I'm not going to be the life of the party but being an introvert doesn't mean your shy and isn't the same thing as being shy, they are two completely differnet things.

Typically introverts do better in small groups or one on one interactions and prefer meaningful conversation over small talk. An introver should and can do very well in interviews.

It sounds like you maybe have a bit of both shynes and introversion. I dont think you have to put on this fake backlsapping were buddies thing, just be yourself and show your knwledge and interest in the job and company
Pretty much. The OP you're replying to never said he was shy, but there are some introverts who simply aren't that social. There are other types of introverts who are either hot or cold, and others who are "social" introverts. But I agree - I hate when people think introversion ='s shyness. I heard a whole speech on how shyness is not that and is actually a more selfish, negative trait to have.

As an introvert, I'm quieter but I definitely know how to interject and speak up with need be, as well as crack a joke if need be. If there's one thing I hate more than anything, it's awkward moments. So yes... introverts can do very well on interviews, and because they listen more they actually (should) do better at selling themselves and landing a position because they know what the interviewer is looking for as they are honestly listening.

I also read an article that stated how introverts should prepare for interviews. It said they shouldn't drink coffee as we are at the optimal attentive level naturally, but extroverts aren't! Interesting stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 08:33 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,956,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosane View Post
How exactly do you convince someone that you really want the job? Is it by asking good questions? Is it answering questions in such a way that shows they really want to work at the company and industry?
You have to answer the questions in such a way that it shows you are competent, confident and have researched the organization. It's easier to do this effectively if you are being yourself instead of having to worry about both the questions and maintaining a persona.

Also, a lot of people completely bungle their interviews with the questions they ask or don't ask. The questions are often the interviewees sole opportunity to break out of the interview structure established by the interviewers. I know of one time where I advanced in the recruitment process because the interviewers found my questions thoughtful. Ask the interviewer(s) questions that show you are evaluating them as well. This will make you seem more confident, knowledgeable and discriminating. This can seem counter-intuitive because it can mean asking questions that are bolder than most people would ask; for instance you could ask the interviewers for example of areas where their group/department/organization need to improve.

The short of it is that interviewees need to set themselves apart from the other candidates somehow, but not in a fake or gimmicky way. The questions you ask are one of the most natural ways to do this. Keep in mind that being bold involves a certain degree of risk, and this will inevitably backfire sometimes but always playing it safe is worse in the long run.

Old 02-20-2015, 09:04 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,995,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PierceMarx View Post
EXCUSE ME! Those big wigs are job creators! It will all trickle down, eventually....
WHAT will trickle down eventually? Surely not the money. At least not in America. The income inequality is just getting more and more ridiculous every year that passes as we have NUMBERS to prove it.

Its turning into North Korea more every day

Old 02-20-2015, 10:56 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,425,674 times
It's in how well you position yourself as a problem solver.
I would suggest you consider reading anything and everything by Nick Corcodilos ("Ask the Headhunter").
Ask The Headhunter® | Nick Corcodilos - Ask The Headhunter®

Yes - the man is prolific.

I should disclose that I have twice spent four day weekends immersing myself in Mr. Corcodilos's writing, because
I knew there were likely to be tough times ahead. In both instances, I was on the verge of moving to locations that
likely had better opportunities than where I was - I'd run out my string in both places, knew them backwards and forwards, and had no desire to stick around to be part of what I felt would be a drawn out decline. So, I uber-gorged on Corcodilos. Moved without a job. Got good jobs in both places, cold, not knowing anybody, because I was able to translate what I knew and had done into a value proposition (do people use that term anymore?) from the first interview.

I got my interviews by targeting my companies. In each place, there were only three first tier companies I knew of that
I'd want to work in. Picked 'em according to quality of management, and the kinds of problems they dealt with. Not being superwoman, I can only convincingly speak about problems that I can envision.

In each place, I got interviews at two out of the three companies within two months. After each interview I got a fair offer within a couple of days, soon enough that it was right before my other interview. I only needed one job, and had
already identified this as a company I would gladly work in, so it was easy to accept the offer.

I have since learned to think like Mr. Corcodilos naturally - I've internalized his framework as if it were part of my skin (organs?). Can't argue with something that works. It's a wonderful thing to walk into an interview as an equal business partner. (Since somebody else out there will always have gone to better schools; known more people; had more impressive titles; be more technically competent, etc.). Mr. Corcodilos teaches you that it is not about the "stuff" - degrees and titles. It is about how you can solve the problem, in time to make it useful, in the way that the boss wants it solved.

I'm not related to Mr. Corcodilos in any way. I just respect him, and have a lot of gratitude for what he has taught me in his writings.

Although it pains me to say this (because I have an aversion to nonprofits), there is one other solid role model that I know of. She is Alison Green, a hiring manager at a (choke) non-profit, and her viewpoint is both sane and actionable. Check it out! She has several free ebooks, and one that costs that is worth it. She is a tough thinker at the same level as Mr. Corcodilos. Ask a Manager

Please consider internalizing what these authors discuss - and please let us know how you are liking the different perspective!

Old 02-20-2015, 11:09 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,425,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post

In another part of the country where there is not a big surplus of qualified people, you would have no trouble getting a job, as you will not have so much competition for the job.

If you live in an area where 500 people apply for a job, it is almost impossible to get a job as someone is always a better candidate no matter how good you are. In other parts of the country there are lots of jobs. A good solid company wanted to open a facility needing 300 people in our area. Labor office told them to advertise for employees, and find in there were enough applicants to fill the positions. In parts of the country they would have had 1,000s of applicants. Here they got 70 with only about 35 that were qualified. They tried 4 places in the state and got the same results or worse. Are putting in the new facility in another state. This happened several times the past year, according to an article in the major paper who interviewed a top person in the state unemployment office.
I agree with you. During the two times I moved to a new area without job in hand, it was to areas that I had targeted through govt statistics (BLS, Census - for example) that revealed they had low low UE rates, and the jobs base was expanding. In one case, the UE rate was only 1.5% lower than where I left. But moving to where there was a need really helped me, I feel.

I've always thought that when you are looking to assess fit (equally important to you!), it does not gain you anything to be less than completely candid.

Old 02-21-2015, 04:34 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,634,681 times
Another thing gets me with managers/interviewers. They interview a number of candidates for a position. Let's say 5 or 6. And in that pool there is one, let's call him "George" and George has worked for the company before. And going into the interviews they know or are 85% sure they are going to hire George because he has been with the company before and is a "known value". So why waste every other interviewees time and give them false hope when you KNOW that you will be hiring George? Why not just cancel the interviews and just hire George. Why the "dog and pony" formality when you are going to hire George anyway? What, so you can tell the other candidates "Gee, you interviewed very well and had good skill sets and no red flags but we're going with someone else because they are experienced." I know, you managers/H.R. types will come up with some snappy response to that like, "Oh, we want to see what talent is out there" or "Oh we have to have at least 3 interviewees by policy before we can hire". Meanwhile you are wasting everyone else's time and giving them false hope of being hired. I have had this happen more than once and NEVER got called back for another position.

Old 02-21-2015, 06:28 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,313,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
Another thing gets me with managers/interviewers. They interview a number of candidates for a position. Let's say 5 or 6. And in that pool there is one, let's call him "George" and George has worked for the company before. And going into the interviews they know or are 85% sure they are going to hire George because he has been with the company before and is a "known value". So why waste every other interviewees time and give them false hope when you KNOW that you will be hiring George? Why not just cancel the interviews and just hire George. Why the "dog and pony" formality when you are going to hire George anyway? What, so you can tell the other candidates "Gee, you interviewed very well and had good skill sets and no red flags but we're going with someone else because they are experienced." I know, you managers/H.R. types will come up with some snappy response to that like, "Oh, we want to see what talent is out there" or "Oh we have to have at least 3 interviewees by policy before we can hire". Meanwhile you are wasting everyone else's time and giving them false hope of being hired. I have had this happen more than once and NEVER got called back for another position.
I agree more likely than not they have the person who they want to hire anything is just wasting both parties time

Old 02-21-2015, 07:29 AM
mcq

337 posts, read 673,308 times
I've been searching for 2+ years, with 180+ applications that have been unsuccessful, dozens of interviews out of them, so I know the feeling well. My only conclusion is that the search process is a very inexact science. At this point, I find it a waste of my time to figure it out. They rarely give a reason and your own thoughts are speculation at best. In some cases, I do see I probably wasn't the best fit after speaking to someone. There were a few cases where I seemed to have all the qualifications and did pretty well at an interview, only to be dropped days later. You don't know who you were up against, perhaps you didn't possess some "intangibles" they were looking for, didn't come across as well as you thought, or maybe, they just dropped the ball and passed on you, the best candidate? Sometimes the person they ultimately hire doesn't work out, if they hire anyone at all.

I do feel as though I've improved with every interview, as I begin to prepare for a Skype interview this coming Friday with a Director and VP. Searching and interviewing around the hours of my regular job have become a familiar part of my life. It may be a tough adjustment if I eventually succeed and don't have any immediate need to search!

Old 02-21-2015, 07:33 AM

8,636 posts, read 9,149,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bored chick View Post
It's all about who can brown nose and kiss ass the best. Qualifications don't really matter. LOL. Maybe I need to brush up on my ass kissing skills.
The first step in kissing ass is to purchase, at your expense, knee pads. I posted a link for those training in Brown Nosing techniques, which can take you far.

Knee pads pics - Google Search

Old 02-21-2015, 07:54 AM

3,797 posts, read 5,339,906 times
It's about having a positive attitude, which can come across quite well in interviews. Don't blame someone for not hiring you if YOU have a bad attitude. Losers have bad attitudes, and play the Blame Game all too often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search