Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 07:27 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,099,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Right, and lying is grounds for immediate rejection in my book.
In a job interview, if someone smells like a smoker and says that they don't smoke, well, it's just bad form and it shows an inability to control oneself.

It's kind of an IQ test, really. If you want the job bad enough, you do what you have to do.

I worked as a personal assistant for a lady who was vehemently horrified and sickened by the smell of smoke and smokers. She only knew that I was a smoker because I told her, way after the fact. I was able to keep it totally separate from work.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:26 AM

93 posts, read 130,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
If I had a job interview I would not smoke the entire day before the interview. I would wear clean clothes and be freshly showered and groomed. I don't smoke in my house and I don't drive a car. So, no, you would not know. If I were hired I wouldn't smoke during work hours, so management would probably never know that I do.

Just wondering if there are others who conduct themselves in this way. Thanks for all of the responses.
I quit ages ago, but this is exactly what I did before interviews. I don't remember if I smoked in the morning before taking a shower (I don't think I did) but Binanca Smoker's Breath does wonders in terms of getting the smell out of your breath. It's absolutely possible to hide it for an interview, but I think it's going to be tough to do so for an extended period of time. If they ask, tell them that you recently quit. That way if you get hired and they end up smelling smoke on you at some point, you can tell them you had a relapse so that you won't necessarily be thought of as having lied on the interview. As long as your job isn't selling smoking cessation products and you're good at your job, I think you'll be okay.

I recall on one job, the hiring supervisor saw me smoking outside a couple weeks after starting and remarked to me that he would have never hired me had he known I was a smoker. I'm not a fan of smoking, but I know how addictive it can be, and sympathize with smokers for being treated like second-class citizens.

Old 03-01-2015, 01:31 PM

1,196 posts, read 1,805,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post

I have never had an interviewer asked if I smoke not in the last 10 years or the last 20 years or ever. It may be a different story, if I started smoking and got it on my clothes and hair.
It's technically not legal to ask an interviewee if the smoke, correct?

Old 03-01-2015, 02:05 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,099,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpacker View Post
It is legal to ask.

Old 03-01-2015, 02:09 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,124,894 times
Quote:
It's honestly never come up in any interview, whether it was flipping burgers when I was younger or at Fortune 500 corporate offices now that I am older. I have never had a chance to consult a lawyer over something that has never happened to me.

Old 03-01-2015, 05:03 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,082,057 times
Yes, people know if you smoke.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 03-02-2015 at 02:03 PM.. Reason: Inappropriate image deleted.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:50 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,842,530 times
Mod cut.

[/i]In keeping with the OP: I go into interviews "clean." A relaxed smoke is my reward for finishing the appointment as well as stress reduction relative to wondering how it went. If I were ever asked whether the habit that dare not speak its name is part of my life, I'd point-blank ask, "What business is it of yours?" Then if the questioner is reduced to babbling or can't provide an acceptable answer they'll have lost what might have been their most promising candidate. The desire to hire an ethical, competent, and productive employee is perfectly understandable. The zeal to hire only people who can fill an arbitrary check-off list of "lifestyle choices totally irrelevant to the job and workplace that we deem appropriate" is intrusive and not a little scary.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 03-02-2015 at 02:05 PM.. Reason: Off-topic.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:11 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,118,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
If I had a job interview I would not smoke the entire day before the interview. I would wear clean clothes and be freshly showered and groomed. I don't smoke in my house and I don't drive a car. So, no, you would not know. If I were hired I wouldn't smoke during work hours, so management would probably never know that I do.

Just wondering if there are others who conduct themselves in this way. Thanks for all of the responses.
Yes, I can absolutely tell you smoke and would not hire you. I smoked for twenty years.

Mod cut.

Quote:
Yes, it is absolutely legal. If I'm asking, I already know your smoke and I'm not going to hire you. If I ask and you admit it, I'm not hiring you. If I ask and you lie, I'm not hiring you.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 03-02-2015 at 02:06 PM.. Reason: Off-topic.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:29 PM

469 posts, read 637,691 times
Mental illness is rampant in todays work culture. When you go on job interviews, pay attention to the questions asked of you and the overall demeanor of the hiring manager. It's not whether you smoke, smell like a happy meal from Mcdonald's,are overweight or if you have visible nose hair that really matters, it is identifying and trusting your instinct about the mental status of the person interviewing you.

Does anyone really want to work for a boss who is looking up your nose to see if you trimmed your nose hair properly or trying to smell your hair, well of course not. I am sure that is why some of these types of hiring managers have so much experience interviewing new candidates because people can't run out the door quick enough once they start working for them.

Old 03-02-2015, 05:21 AM

469 posts, read 913,849 times
A Cotinine test is part of our normal screening exam for serious applicants. If they claim to be a non smoker and test shows otherwise, they are not selected simply because of integrity. Smokers are normally not selected for many reasons. The two main reasons are healthcare costs and worker productivity. Smokers have been shown to take 20 minutes of every hour smoking or socializing with thier fellow smokers. Some of our larger manufacturing locations are smoke free. Not enough time on break or lunch to get off location so most just stick it out all day until thier shift ends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search