Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 03:17 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,760,484 times

Advertisements

I just had a job interview for an engineer/researcher position. I talked to 7 interviewers and at least half of the questions were like "tell me about a time... " Is it really necessary/useful? How can you tell the difference between a person who is good at making up stories and a person who really knows the math and techniques?

Especially, only one of the interviewers is American, and all the others are Indians and Eastern Europeans. Why do they still emphasize the cultural match?

I just find the whole thing does not make sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2015, 03:25 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,884,819 times
How are they supposed to know about your ability to problem solve or deal with conflict or handle tight deadlines or whatever all else they are asking you about if they don't...you know...ask you about it? Are you saying they shouldn't bother asking because a candidate could lie? People can lie about anything! It may be an imperfect method, but short of being a mind-reader of playing back comprehensive video footage of the applicant's entire career, asking is all they've got to work with.

Old 02-28-2015, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaulGal View Post
How are they supposed to know about your ability to problem solve or deal with conflict or handle tight deadlines or whatever all else they are asking you about if they don't...you know...ask you about it? Are you saying they shouldn't bother asking because a candidate could lie? People can lie about anything! It may be an imperfect method, but short of being a mind-reader of playing back comprehensive video footage of the applicant's entire career, asking is all they've got to work with.
I am not saying they should not ask behavioral questions at all. I am saying that is too much.

I have my degrees, publications, and jobs, which pretty much proves I can solve problems and meet deadlines.

Old 02-28-2015, 03:44 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,544,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
I am not saying they should not ask behavioral questions at all. I am saying that is too much.

I have my degrees, publications, and jobs, which pretty much proves I can solve problems and meet deadlines.
I see it as the opposite, the degrees/titles only show you can do the technical work, behavioral questions get to see if you would "fit" with the current workers, no point bringing in someone who may know what they're doing but causes disarray with everyone else can hurts productivity. 10 moderately productive people is better than 9 low productive + 1 highly productive person when building a good team.

Old 02-28-2015, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
I see it as the opposite, the degrees/titles only show you can do the technical work, behavioral questions get to see if you would "fit" with the current workers, no point bringing in someone who may know what they're doing but causes disarray with everyone else can hurts productivity. 10 moderately productive people is better than 9 low productive + 1 highly productive person when building a good team.
And you think asking 20 questions like "tell me about a time..." can solve your problem?

I would rather ask "do you know your mother's birthday"? "do you like animals, why?"

Old 02-28-2015, 03:53 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,257,429 times
Quote:
And you think asking 20 questions like "tell me about a time..." can solve your problem?
Definitely a better solution than

Quote:
I would rather ask "do you know your mother's birthday"? "do you like animals, why?"

Old 02-28-2015, 03:57 PM

I think it may also be a cultural issue.

America has an "election" culture so people like good talkers. As long as they make up good stories, they gain trust.\
While in Japan/China, good talkers are judged negatively so their interview questions may be much more technical.

Old 02-28-2015, 04:01 PM

We have companies that give technical questions too, IE given problem X, how would you approach it to get to Y. Or programming tests (sorry no examples, not my field).

You don't have to "talk" well but you have to be able to know how to relate/work as a team. Your birthday/animal question is only focused on yourself and not the rest of your coworkers. Why "would" they care about your mother's birthday or if you like animals? They "care" that if there is a problem, how do you go about to solve it and how do you work with your coworkers to do it. IE do you just let them drown and watch in the background, or do you step up and offer a helping hand where you can? If you don't know how to do something, do you seek advice/help from a coworker or do you leave it and blame company on not training you?

Old 02-28-2015, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
We have companies that give technical questions too, IE given problem X, how would you approach it to get to Y. Or programming tests (sorry no examples, not my field).

You don't have to "talk" well but you have to be able to know how to relate/work as a team. Your birthday/animal question is only focused on yourself and not the rest of your coworkers. Why "would" they care about your mother's birthday or if you like animals? They "care" that if there is a problem, how do you go about to solve it and how do you work with your coworkers to do it. IE do you just let them drown and watch in the background, or do you step up and offer a helping hand where you can? If you don't know how to do something, do you seek advice/help from a coworker or do you leave it and blame company on not training you?
If a guy does not even know his mother's birthday, I won't hire him (except for special conditions). Just that simple.

All engineers who have work experience know how to help teammates, and gain help from them. Otherwise he can't survive. You can ask how he handles certain issues in his current company. For example, "in your company, if a colleague cannot finish his task on time and you know you may be able to help him, what would you do"? Definitely not questions like "Tell me the greatest achievement you've made."

Old 02-28-2015, 04:17 PM

Quote:
If a guy does not even know his mother's birthday, I won't hire him (except for special conditions). Just that simple.
so what does that tell you about the guy? That he cares for his family? Or that he knows how to make up a date? Why not ask if he knows his anniversary instead? What does it tell you about his productivity/teamwork?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search