Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 09:52 AM

63 posts, read 81,068 times

Advertisements

Many of the candidates who have been coming in for interviews have been out of work for a very long time. (8 months or longer). Traditionally our recruiter and hiring managers will try to pin them down and find out why they have been out of work for a long time and what they have been doing while they have been unemployed. Here are some typical responses:

" It's tough out there. I keep trying to find a job but no luck so far."

"I just have not found the right fit for me yet, but I keep trying."

"I have been interviewing up a storm but so far no job offers."

"I have spend every hour of the day looking for work" (during his 12 months of unemployment)

Are these good replies to the question? How would you explain up to a year of unemployment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2015, 09:56 AM

154 posts, read 261,553 times
Good. Just be confident yet humble it whatever reason you give. If you're a woman you can always go for the I took time off to raise my kids line

Old 03-02-2015, 09:56 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,425,047 times
Id say I was on a year long safari and lost track of time....seriously recruiters and hr are idiots. It must be nice to work in a department that never gets laid off and spends all of their time critiquing peoples life choices/experiences...

Old 03-02-2015, 09:58 AM

29,513 posts, read 22,641,616 times
say you volunteered. there comes a point where it doesn't look good you didn't do ANY thing.

Old 03-02-2015, 09:59 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times
Because I'm over 50 with wrinkles and wear a 20 year old overcoat.

Old 03-02-2015, 10:03 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,425,894 times
Lie/Fake it. They are going to use it as a reason to screen you out and you will keep banging your head into the same wall (HR people will assume you are undesirable, were in prison/mental hospital, are covering up a job that ended badly, are a lazy welfare bum etc).

Old 03-02-2015, 10:04 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,284,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudmouth View Post
Many of the candidates who have been coming in for interviews have been out of work for a very long time. (8 months or longer). Traditionally our recruiter and hiring managers will try to pin them down and find out why they have been out of work for a long time and what they have been doing while they have been unemployed. Here are some typical responses:

" It's tough out there. I keep trying to find a job but no luck so far."

"I just have not found the right fit for me yet, but I keep trying."

"I have been interviewing up a storm but so far no job offers."

"I have spend every hour of the day looking for work" (during his 12 months of unemployment)

Are these good replies to the question? How would you explain up to a year of unemployment?
I'm not sure what you mean by "good replies". If it's the truth, it's the truth. Would I be satisfied with that answer as a hiring manager? I guess some of it would be a good start - e.g. for that second answer re: fit, I would follow-up with more questions regarding what they ARE looking for.

But if you wanted to know what they have been doing while unemployed (assuming you are referring to keeping up with their skills etc.), you would just ask that question - no?

Old 03-02-2015, 10:29 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,125,992 times
"It's due to the competitive market conditions and the fact that I'm not just looking for A job, I'm looking for THE job and THE company I would like to work for."

Old 03-02-2015, 10:44 AM

897 posts, read 1,180,199 times
Tell them you've been doing SOMETHING. From my experience, I know which responses got awkward silence with a cough to punctuate these silences, or eager smiles and nods.

Do not say:
- Nothing.
- Looking for a job. They know. They want to know what you do BEYOND that and really want to see how much of a go-getter you are. Corny, I know.
- Relaxing/unwinding for any reasons.
- Anything that suggest you've been sick. They don't want to hire someone who has health issues.
- Hobby stuff, as in "fishing." or "reading lots of books".

Things like that just turn interviewers off. Good responses are things like:

- Volunteering, working at shelters
- Temp/contracting
- Searching for the best fit while doing odd jobs on the side.
- Anything that makes it seem as if you live for finding the perfect job for you. Will make 'em feel like you're a real go-getter.
- Interviewing, but you have to be careful how you spin this, because they may say "well, why haven't you found something?"

A lot of people have given great responses, though. Good luck!

Old 03-02-2015, 11:05 AM

63 posts, read 81,068 times
If I were the hiring manager I would assume that if the person had been sending out resumes for a year and had gone to countless interviews and kept being rejected, there is something wrong with them. People want to be around winners and those highly respected and accepted by others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search