Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 01:44 PM

64 posts, read 102,140 times

Advertisements

Curious as to what some people think on here.

If you have the following working in your favor when applying for a job:

1. You are a local candidate in the same town/city you are applying for.
2. You are fully qualified for the position (not just their basic requirements, but the preferred ones as well).
3. You have an impeccable resume, tailored impressively to the job and free of any grammar/spelling/formatting errors.

Do you feel that this should be enough to earn you an interview? Why/why not?

What percentage of candidates that a job opening looks at do you think meet these three requirements?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 01:47 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
No one is going to meet the exact requirements, well maybe 1%.

Old 03-05-2015, 01:47 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Probably 5% or less of the applications I review meet those criteria. If you don't include "preferred" qualifications maybe 20%.

No, it isn't enough to necessarily earn you an interview. It depends on the pool, which is highly dependent on the job being applied for.

You didn't mention cover letters, but those are important.

Old 03-05-2015, 02:01 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
So you're asking : If I'm perfect on paper, should I expect to get an interview?

So many other factors... how many other perfect candidates (on paper) are applying for this job? How far along in the interview process is the company when you applied? does your salary expectations match theirs? etc etc

Old 03-05-2015, 02:13 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHHiker1 View Post

2. You are fully qualified for the position (not just their basic requirements, but the preferred ones as well).
3. You have an impeccable resume, tailored impressively to the job and free of any grammar/spelling/formatting errors.

What percentage of candidates that a job opening looks at do you think meet these three requirements?

It depends on what your competition looks like, along with any other factors that may give them the edge.

Old 03-05-2015, 02:46 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,236,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHHiker1 View Post

Are they hiring, or just posting to meet legal requirements, with an "inside" candidate that the job description has been tailored for?

If they are really seeking an employee through advertising, I would think you would be a top tier candidate, and the job would be yours to lose. If they have tailored the requirements to the skill set of a specific person they want to hire, and are posting to meet legal requirements, I would think you would still be interveiwed, but may or may not have a legitimate shot at the job.

Last edited by Tuck's Dad; 03-05-2015 at 03:29 PM..

Old 03-05-2015, 03:18 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,884,529 times
As others have said, it depends on the job and the applicant pool. If the job is extremely specialized such that very few people exist with the exact background they are looking for then yes, I would expect the perfect-on-paper person to get an interview (provided their cover letter was also good and they didn't have a terrible reputation within the industry.) But for something less intensely specific there could be dozens if not hundreds of applicants that have exactly what the posting asks for. In that case, obviously only a handful would get interviews no matter how "perfect" they all were.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:40 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,256,972 times
You have to apply to get a shot. Further, try to reach out personally to someone in the organization to make sure they even read your application. Then if the qualifications are reasonably specialized (i.e., programming, excel, years in the industry, etc.), you should get an interview.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:48 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,288,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
It depends on what your competition looks like, along with any other factors that may give them the edge.
Bingo!

It's not how good your resume and qualifications are. But how good they are relative to your competition.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:53 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,248,462 times
I once applied for a local position where I met 80-90% of the desired qualifications, had a great resume/portfolio, wrote a great cover letter tailored to the job that showed my excitement and even then didn't get an interview. So it clearly isn't a sure thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search