Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 10:03 PM

908 posts, read 960,613 times

Advertisements

my husband has a good job w/ a great work/life balance. his hours are flexible and most days he is home at 5. he is good at what he does but he's not at a stage of his life where he wants to work 50+ hours a week (3 young kids). he's being recruited for a somewhat new, young company that seems very "start-up" like. he likes everything about it but is concerned that if the culture is to work long hours (which he doesn't know if this is true or not) they'd expect this of him.

so, is there ever a good time to bring this up in the interview process and if so, how?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 10:09 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,601,272 times
Eh. I am too old to beat around the bush. Has a job he likes and treats him well, but he is considering a job that could pay better and give him some new challenges but he doesn't want to give up lifestyle. No Problem. Ask Like this:

I am interested in the opportunity your company offers and am very interested in your offer. What are your work hour requirements? What are the Flex-Time options, and what paid time off would I see in the first year? My family is also very important to me and I need to ensure they continue to see me as much as you do.

If you do not NEED to change jobs, then make SURE the the job is worth changing to.

Old 03-10-2015, 10:14 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Hasn't he only been with his current company for five months? Why is he looking to make a change? And no offense to you, but why isn't he posting his questions?

Start ups are known for running with minimal staffs, so everyone works long hours. I would advise him to pass, instead of trying to find a way to inquire, because they may tell him what he wants to hear only to change things once he's there.

Old 03-10-2015, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Hasn't he only been with his current company for five months? Why is he looking to make a change? And no offense to you, but why isn't he posting his questions?

Start ups are known for running with minimal staffs, so everyone works long hours. I would advise him to pass, instead of trying to find a way to inquire, because they may tell him what he wants to hear only to change things once he's there.
lol, MPowering, you have a pretty good memory. it's actually been about 8 months. i might have said 5 months before b/c we moved to this area 5 months ago and i get mixed up between the two things. and my DH doesn't post on message boards and doesn't care about the opinion of strangers. I do

he doesn't like his work group. apparently tons of people have left his group recently so i guess it's not just him that hates it. but honestly, i think there's also a part of him that gets bored easily. luckily he has the skills to somewhat pick and choose his work and is constantly getting recruited. he has a good combo of desirable tech skills, excellent people skills, and a higher degree in an unusual but sought after area.

Old 03-10-2015, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
Eh. I am too old to beat around the bush. Has a job he likes and treats him well, but he is considering a job that could pay better and give him some new challenges but he doesn't want to give up lifestyle. No Problem. Ask Like this:

I am interested in the opportunity your company offers and am very interested in your offer. What are your work hour requirements? What are the Flex-Time options, and what paid time off would I see in the first year? My family is also very important to me and I need to ensure they continue to see me as much as you do.

If you do not NEED to change jobs, then make SURE the the job is worth changing to.
johnrex, you summarized it very well. i agree if he left his company he has a lot to lose, but possibly a lot to gain w/ the new company.

Old 03-11-2015, 06:00 AM

928 posts, read 1,101,055 times
So he is mire interested in getting out of work than getting into it?

Old 03-11-2015, 06:15 AM

4,270 posts, read 6,293,626 times
"What are the hours for this position?"

Easy as that.

Old 03-11-2015, 07:38 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
Tell me about an average day for X position? What time do they get in, what does their day look like, and what time do they leave for the day?

Old 03-11-2015, 07:50 AM

29,507 posts, read 22,620,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Tell me about an average day for X position? What time do they get in, what does their day look like, and what time do they leave for the day?
Yea simples, just ask what a typical day is like, hours and expectations and all.

Old 03-11-2015, 08:24 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
"How does the company promote a healthy work-life balance?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search