Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 09:58 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,394,892 times

Advertisements

boss was hiring this guy and we was in the hallway and boss ask us if we had any question for the new guy.
we replyed

1) have you mother slept with anybody in this company?
2) do you follow LSU football.

answer yes to either, keep walking
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 10:58 AM

1,855 posts, read 2,919,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post
We had a college student interview for an internship and someone asked him why he wanted to work here. His response was that his dream was to wear a suit to work everyday. Our office was business casual.
And how would he know that? Is that really a "worst" interview answer? Some of these "worst interview answers" are lame.

Old 03-14-2015, 10:59 AM

1,855 posts, read 2,919,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkm370 View Post
I got my first job at Pizza Hut in 2006. Quit 6 months later because the boss was being a prick. Walked about 10 blocks to the nearest mall. Filled out an application at Target, walked right into the employees only door to HR and asked for a job. Hired me on the spot...no dumb interview about what customer service means to me, no dumb "personality" exam, no 5 different interview with a manager from every department, no credit check. Just two human beings speaking like human beings.

That was a crazy time back then I tell you what

Old 03-14-2015, 11:44 AM

897 posts, read 1,180,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkm370 View Post
I got my first job at Pizza Hut in 2006. Quit 6 months later because the boss was being a prick. Walked about 10 blocks to the nearest mall. Filled out an application at Target, walked right into the employees only door to HR and asked for a job. Hired me on the spot...no dumb interview about what customer service means to me, no dumb "personality" exam, no 5 different interview with a manager from every department, no credit check. Just two human beings speaking like human beings.

That was a crazy time back then I tell you what
Some people on this forum'll tell you it's just as hard to get a job back then as it is now, believe it or not.

Old 03-14-2015, 11:46 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,443,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howiester View Post
Well even though this is the Onion, there is truth in this. When my parents first came to the US, my dad got his first job without speaking any English by just going to the same place for 5 days straight. After the 5th day, they just hired him.

But now, everythings on the internet, and theirs personality tests, and 10 interviews, and they want a college degree, and they want good credit, and they want someone young, and they want someone tall, preferably white with hair.

Pretty soon, they will want blood tests, penile measurements.....

Old 03-14-2015, 11:59 AM

1,268 posts, read 798,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
That's the problem. I'm too honest. I don't know how to lie. When I have lied in my life I was really bad at it. It's hard to figure out what they want to hear too because you apparently aren't supposed to use canned answers. Most of the time I can't even get interviews to the places I've applied to anyway.
I don't think I have to act dumb though. I'm probably dumb enough as it is haha. I got the slave part down as well. I basically slave away for beer money online so imagine how much I'd do if I got paid at least minimum wage.
Personally, I appreciate filtered honesty in an interview. I don't "want" to hear any preconceived answer. I am looking for your honest answers and evaluating how you deal with challenges. In the example above, it was a good answer, but it needed more detail. You empower people by bringing technology like (insert some of the product line here)... That is an excellent answer.

On the flip side, you don't want to go without a filter. It's not a meeting with your therapist, so don't mention that time you tried to kill your boss, or how you drink everyday to just cope with life. A good interview is conversational and covers your skills. I know when you are trying to tell me what you think I want to hear, and I will generally ask a follow-up question to get to the truth. I want your honest answer, and if you have experience in the field, you should be able to plainly discuss your experience. I am not looking for perfect--it's not out there. I look for integrity, some level of passion, personality, and the ability to plan and handle difficult situations.

Old 03-14-2015, 12:24 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,811,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsb62574 View Post
Personally, I appreciate filtered honesty in an interview. I don't "want" to hear any preconceived answer. I am looking for your honest answers and evaluating how you deal with challenges. In the example above, it was a good answer, but it needed more detail. You empower people by bringing technology like (insert some of the product line here)... That is an excellent answer.

On the flip side, you don't want to go without a filter. It's not a meeting with your therapist, so don't mention that time you tried to kill your boss, or how you drink everyday to just cope with life. A good interview is conversational and covers your skills. I know when you are trying to tell me what you think I want to hear, and I will generally ask a follow-up question to get to the truth. I want your honest answer, and if you have experience in the field, you should be able to plainly discuss your experience. I am not looking for perfect--it's not out there. I look for integrity, some level of passion, personality, and the ability to plan and handle difficult situations.
Well that's the thing a lot of interviewers seem to want perfection. I'd have to at least try to reach perfection because I'm not a sociable person and that's what retail wants which is all that is entry level. I don't see how I'm supposed to go with a filter because I don't steal drink or smoke or a violent kind of person yet that doesn't seem to count for anything. You should actually be able to tell this just by looking at me unless I should tell them that in an answer but I don't know what question I'd say that to. I am immature but off the clock. I may not know how to do adult things like drive a car or do laundry but as far as a job, I would do anything they asked me if they were going to give me a salary. The only reason I was fired at the job I had was because I was going through personal stuff. How do you filter that though? I was only 14 mind you.

Plus like I said I can't even get interviews anymore. How do you get hired if they already have someone in mind on the inside?

Last edited by Nickchick; 03-14-2015 at 12:38 PM..

Old 03-14-2015, 01:31 PM

1,268 posts, read 798,631 times
Quote:
Well that's the thing a lot of interviewers seem to want perfection. I'd have to at least try to reach perfection because I'm not a sociable person and that's what retail wants which is all that is entry level. I don't see how I'm supposed to go with a filter because I don't steal drink or smoke or a violent kind of person yet that doesn't seem to count for anything. You should actually be able to tell this just by looking at me unless I should tell them that in an answer but I don't know what question I'd say that to. I am immature but off the clock. I may not know how to do adult things like drive a car or do laundry but as far as a job, I would do anything they asked me if they were going to give me a salary. The only reason I was fired at the job I had was because I was going through personal stuff. How do you filter that though? I was only 14 mind you.

Plus like I said I can't even get interviews anymore. How do you get hired if they already have someone in mind on the inside?
Most people don't look for perfection. We know that no one is perfect--including ourselves. I make mistakes everyday, but I own them. I learn from them. I could discuss my professional mistakes and describe what I learned and how I avoid repeating them. I can also discuss my experience and knowledge in my field.

Sorry, but I can't tell that you don't drink, smoke, or steal by looking at you. Drinking and smoking are not job disqualifying. If you are an alcoholic and will come to work impaired, then it is a problem. There are many functional people with issues that are not immediately apparent.

If you had a personal issue impacting your performance, disclose it. Then, follow-up with how you resolved it and how you grew from the experience. We all have personal issues. It's how you handle them that distinguishes you from others and demonstrates character. In using a filter, I am implying that you should edit how you communicate.

Example:
My mother was very sick, and I had to take off frequently to care for her. I explained my situation to my supervisor. Unfortunately, they couldn't accomodate my schedule, and I was let go. This led me to look for some resources to help me care for my mom. I realized she needed more care than I could provide and still manage my employment responsibilities. I was able to secure home health assistance, and now, I have no obstacles in devoting my time to my career.

Versus:

My last employers were terrible. When my mom got sick, they fired me because I missed work to care for her.

Interviewer: I'm sorry to hear about your mother. Did you attempt to explain how her illness might impact your attendance?

Interviewee: No. They wouldn't have done anything for me.

It is obvious which is the better answer and approach.

As an aside, retail might not be the best choice for someone who is introverted. Perhaps, you are angry at your circumstance, but expressing that anger is not going to win friends and influence others. Grow and learn from your experiences and learn how to communicate this well. No, you won't get every job, but each failure gives you something to learn that can lead to success. Not every career is a personal good fit, and there is so much more to work for than just a salary. I hope you find your passion. Good luck!

Old 03-14-2015, 01:46 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,121,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howiester View Post
And how would he know that? Is that really a "worst" interview answer? Some of these "worst interview answers" are lame.
I can tell if it's business casual by the hiring manager and recruiter's dress. It's even easier, if you have past the cubicle farm before you get to the interview room.

Old 03-14-2015, 01:49 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,121,427 times
Quote:

Who is looking for perfection? Every time I interview, I make it to the next round. I am not some 6 ft tall Brad Pitt look-alike with the skills of a social butterfly. I'm a introverted height-challenged guy.

Last edited by move4ward; 03-14-2015 at 02:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search