Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 05:33 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,121,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You're missing the point. The OP wants to relocate, so your scenario of your company having people work remotely from home in a different state doesn't interest them.

Also you going from Houston to Dallas for an interview is doable with short notice and even driving it in one day.

Someone living in Boston and applying for jobs in Phoenix(and pretending to be in Phoenix)isn't going to work as easy.

Now the OP is lucky enough to be within driving distance of Dallas and could even leave the night before and stay in a motel, but I wouldn't use a fake address.
This notion of having to be in the same state is silly. I have met more out-of-state people that lined up jobs before moving than native Dallasites born here.

That's the whole point about the remote employees. They applied from out of state, and chose not to move. Our employers ideally would have the employees move, but the employees don't want to move. My employers often want their employees to move, but they aren't going to reject their job application for being in OKC or another city. The employers would love to see that he is moving.

When I applied in Dallas, the employers didn't refuse to hire me because I was in another city.

OKC is closer than Houston to the Dallas employment centers in Las Colinas and Plano. It's about 200 miles between OKC and Plano, while it's 250 miles from Houston and Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 07:48 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
No, I'd never use a fake address either, unless you don't mind if it's a fake job offer.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:35 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,872,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkm370 View Post
Ive used fake adresses so many times. Nobody checks that **** or confirms it unless your gonna work for the FBI
They do if you work in the medical field and are licensed. And in some other professional fields where you are licensed and have to be of good moral character.

Old 03-19-2015, 05:52 AM

4,032 posts, read 2,717,319 times
I personally wouldn't advise using a fake address and pretending you live there, because it'd be too easy to get caught. Yes, you could explain an OKC phone number away by saying it's your cell phone--after all, a friend of mine moved to Nevada three years ago and still has her Colorado phone number, my sister moved here eight months ago and still has her Missouri number--but every company I've ever worked for ran a background check, and I think it'd be found out that you currently have an OKC address, not a Dallas one.

Not to mention, what if you have an employer who calls you at 8 a.m. and says he can fit you into an interview at 10 a.m. and has no flexibility? (I've had such happen to me.) While you're close, you're not likely to make it in two hours.

Personally, given the driving distance between OKC and Dallas, I think most employers would understand you being a three hour drive away, that's not all that far in terms of job searching with a potential move. Were you in Chicago, IL, they might not be so sure.

Old 03-19-2015, 05:59 AM

He is making his move very complicated. One of my co-workers moved from Oklahoma with an OKC address to Dallas for a job. He didn't have to do a little song and dance routine to hide it.

He didn't have to lie that he is not working at OKC.

Some companies will do employment verification. Do you get a 2nd cell phone with a Dallas area code and pretend to be HR for your own employer? Do you put a fake Dallas address for the office of your employer?

Old 03-19-2015, 07:22 AM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
Don't start off by being dishonest. It's a no brainer when they see where you are working. And, when they do references/background check, they'll confirm where you live. This might cost you the position. Let your CV speak for you. When I had candidates likes this set up for a phone screening, our standard questions would always trip them up if they'd been deceptive about where they live/work. Don't put yourself in that position.

A PO box screams out you are hiding something!
Right. I don't understand why some are encouraging the dishonesty route. Employers conduct background checks, especially in this economy, and its not difficult to find how where you previously worked/lived.

Also, while a PO box in the DFW area wouldn't be dishonest technically, there are, as you mention, other problems that will come up from having a PO box. Definitely not something I'd recommend.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:14 AM

2,048 posts, read 2,157,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post

When they knew I was in Houston, one employer did the interview over the phone. I didn't have to bother with a 3 1/2 hour drive.

The other employer flew down to interview dozens of Houston applicants in a hotel conference room.
Oh, well, problem solved! See OP, all you have to do is invite the employer to fly to OKC to interview you, and voila!

Move4ward: your experience is hardly the norm. Stop dismissing OP's concerns based on your unusual experience of having the employer fly to YOU to dole out your $20k raise. Congrats, you should be very proud. But you really have no advice to give here, and it's starting to sound like you just want to boast.

Old 03-19-2015, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallouise View Post
Oh, well, problem solved! See OP, all you have to do is invite the employer to fly to OKC to interview you, and voila!

Move4ward: your experience is hardly the norm. Stop dismissing OP's concerns based on your unusual experience of having the employer fly to YOU to dole out your $20k raise. Congrats, you should be very proud. But you really have no advice to give here, and it's starting to sound like you just want to boast.
It was one of the largest employers in the country with over 100k+ employees, not some mom and pop shop. It's a very common practice to hire and interview candidates that are not local.

They will even do the interviews by Skype, video, long-distance calls, or traveling to recruit out of state talent. There are posts all the time about employers conducting Skype interviews for candidates that are out-of-town.

Let me search it for you: //www.city-data.com/forum/searc...rchid=16367471

Read through the posts. Does it sound like the employer thought the Skype call was for a local candidate?

How about this candidate that applied out of state and didn't use a fake address? They are flying out of town candidates. //www.city-data.com/forum/work-...onflicted.html

Last edited by move4ward; 03-19-2015 at 06:43 PM..

Old 03-21-2015, 07:54 PM

24 posts, read 33,348 times
You do not want to lie or be misleading on your resume in any way. It is perfectly fine though to provide just your phone number and email address as your contact information on your resume. If you have any other questions feel free to email me.

Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 03-26-2015 at 08:03 AM.. Reason: Advertising.

Old 03-22-2015, 08:45 AM

1,368 posts, read 3,218,221 times
I don't see this being a big issue for Dallas or any location in Houston. Where this does show up as an issue in job searches is high cost of living/scenic areas like Colorado. When I lived there, many potential job applicants did get PO boxes and disposable phones to make them look local. There are so many job applicants for every job that the locals do get a preference. There is no expensive relocation, supposedly, for that candidate so HR slips them through to the hiring manager.

Typically, the weeding out is at the HR level so you need to get past them first. They may have a directive to hire locals due to cost constraints or company culture. The local address will get past that filter and a PO box usually does the trick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search