Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 10:23 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,636,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
And you can also day you were looking for a job during that time.

Really now that is groundbreaking information. Why didn't we all think of that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 10:46 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
Really now that is groundbreaking information. Why didn't we all think of that?
So many people on here act like they need to make up a lie about what they were doing in between jobs. Just be upfront and honest with the interviewer and if they don't accept it then you end the interview.

Old 05-06-2015, 12:02 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
So many people on here act like they need to make up a lie about what they were doing in between jobs. Just be upfront and honest with the interviewer and if they don't accept it then you end the interview.
Here we go again with the "just end the interview" nonsense. Grasshopper, you've never walked out of an interview in your life (not that you've had many but that's beside the point) and you never would. Do cease and desist from tossing out such incredibly daft advice which is merely a figment of your imagination as you envisage your alter ego donning that cape with the big "S" on it. Or "Big S" for "Big Sol" which I recall you mentioned as being what past neighbors have called you.

Old 05-06-2015, 01:00 PM

279 posts, read 544,700 times
Back to OP. I work for a major utility that operates nuclear facilities. After I was offered my job I had to go through an extensive background check, take the psycholoigal exam, and allow them to pull my credit. They still pull my credit every 5 years. They are concerned about the ability to be bribed.

And if I did not agree, I could happily not take the job offer.

Old 05-08-2015, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
Just last night I was applying for an interesting job. However, the application was so long and asked intrusive questions like my DOB and my SS number, I didn't feel comfortable continuing on. I'm not going to supply such information to a place that in all likelihood will not contact me for an interview.

I feel they should exclude asking for a SSN on online applications.

Old 05-29-2018, 09:45 AM

2 posts, read 502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chestermom View Post
[FONT=&quot]Are all employment application this intrusive? [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I am just recently unemployment and have been looking for a new position. My last position was not a good fit for them, just a very old school organization; very rigid, everything is still done with paper, etc. Needless to say I was very unhappy in the position and it probably showed...so we parted ways. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Well I recently applied with a new position I was really excited about...I decided to leave me last position off my resume since it was only for 6 months and I really did not accomplish much or gain any transferable skills. I have been gainfully employed for 15 years straight..no gaps, right out of college.[/FONT]

[FONT=Cambria]So I was called for an interview and the confirmation email asked that I complete this application 48 hours before the interview. Holy smokes, since when did you have to give up any sense of privacy when you work for corporate America..it is not like once you are hired then can’t terminate you just looking at someone wrong. [/FONT]

[FONT=Cambria]So here is the application:[/FONT]

[FONT=Cambria]Please list your employment history for the last 10 years....[/FONT]
[FONT=Cambria]Have you ever been fired or asked to resign a position...[/FONT]
[FONT=Cambria]Please explain all employment gaps longer then 30 days...[/FONT]
[FONT=Cambria]Please provide the name of someone who can verify this gap...(who is suppose to verify this gap…the state unemployment agency?)[/FONT]

[FONT=Cambria]Please sign here, which gives us permission to verify your credit history, review your Social Security records (I guess so they can see if you left off a job on the application), view all personal files with prior employers, run a criminal background check, etc.[/FONT]

[FONT=Cambria]Is this standard procedure now in the workforce? If so, how does anyone find a job nowadays? [/FONT]

It is intrusive when you are asked to give your current or past salary, physical address of your domicile, medical history, wave your rights for employer to obtain by any means information about you by talking to your neighbors, friends, family members, acquaintances, obtain access to medical records for a Banker job, this is ridiculous. Every time I apply online and the HR questionnaire askes me what type of vegetable I would be or what type of can fruit most resemble my personality I stop the questionnaire and black bowl that employer. My integrity is not for sale, I will not allow anyone to waste my time or mistreat me, I will not engage in any immoral behavior. Period.

Old 05-29-2018, 09:55 AM

2 posts, read 502 times
Post Intrusive work background checks are unreasonable

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Here we go again with the "just end the interview" nonsense. Grasshopper, you've never walked out of an interview in your life (not that you've had many but that's beside the point) and you never would. Do cease and desist from tossing out such incredibly daft advice which is merely a figment of your imagination as you envisage your alter ego donning that cape with the big "S" on it. Or "Big S" for "Big Sol" which I recall you mentioned as being what past neighbors have called you.

I heard a guy tell me he was interviewing for a job in Houston, TX as a Sales manager, his new job pays $155,000 and he successfully passed 4 interviews already with the company, his 5th a last would be with the Regional manager with whom he will be working on a daily bases, but before he is granted the interview the Human Resource department requested he sign a paper that gives HR access to request his tax returns from the IRS, they did not ask him to furnish his Tax returns, they only wanted a copy from him and his signature on a paper that would grant them access to request his tax returns to make sure the paperwork match. Crazy how the 5th interview was contingent on his tax record information and a meeting will not be scheduled until they have reviewed the tax record. I advised him to move on to another company, if they do this now then to what extent will be intrusive in the future? Wire tap his phone calls, dig through his home trash bins, break into his dentist's office and steal his dental records? Where is the line? Would the employer grant the employee the same access in return? Why not? Does the employee not have the right to obtain background information on the employer, how can he really trust what they say about themselves? How can the employees really know what business interests the company has in the past, present and future. How can the employees really know if the company has ties with criminal enterprises or is under investigation by the Department of Justice, Homeland security, these are valid questions that must be answered. This is a two way street. Level the play field.

Old 05-30-2018, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chestermom View Post
Are all employment application this intrusive?

I am just recently unemployment and have been looking for a new position. My last position was not a good fit for them, just a very old school organization; very rigid, everything is still done with paper, etc. Needless to say I was very unhappy in the position and it probably showed...so we parted ways.

Well I recently applied with a new position I was really excited about...I decided to leave me last position off my resume since it was only for 6 months and I really did not accomplish much or gain any transferable skills. I have been gainfully employed for 15 years straight..no gaps, right out of college.

So I was called for an interview and the confirmation email asked that I complete this application 48 hours before the interview. Holy smokes, since when did you have to give up any sense of privacy when you work for corporate America..it is not like once you are hired then can’t terminate you just looking at someone wrong.

So here is the application:

Please list your employment history for the last 10 years....
Have you ever been fired or asked to resign a position...
Please explain all employment gaps longer then 30 days...
Please provide the name of someone who can verify this gap...(who is suppose to verify this gap…the state unemployment agency?)

Please sign here, which gives us permission to verify your credit history, review your Social Security records (I guess so they can see if you left off a job on the application), view all personal files with prior employers, run a criminal background check, etc.

Is this standard procedure now in the workforce? If so, how does anyone find a job nowadays?

The bolded and underlined is a point I have been making in this forum. Gaps apparently matter or else why ask?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search