Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 09:56 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,434,670 times

Advertisements

The educational level expected of a Masters student should correlate with their ability to research MBA programs and their reputations. Anyone that spends 5 minutes googling UofP will see that their reputation is poor among the business community. On many professional forums the response to the question is "LOL!!" Its an uphill battle if you have a degree from here. Ill just say that if you have to constantly defend the reputation of the Uni you went to, its a bleak outlook.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 10:02 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,434,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashion&business101 View Post
If a job seeker JUST graduated with no work experience, I can understand your reservations, but what if they went on to have relevant experience as reputable companies as well as a masters degree from a respected school?

Not everyone comes from a background where they know about all that you have mentioned. I chose a "for profit" school at 18yrs old and yes, I do regret it. However, I had a very high GPA in high school, took college level classes in high school, got a scholarship, etc., but my parents and I were immigrants who had no idea how the school system works on a university level in America so basically I had to guide myself. In our home country, if you don't have the money up front, you don't go to college so loans, etc. was a foreign concept to my parents. I chose my school based on the fact it was quarterly, enabling me to graduate a year early since I was always in such a hurry to get into my field. I ended up going to that school and community college at the same time to speed up the process by another year.

So you'd write me off, even though I have a masters from one of the most established/reputable universities in Europe (top of my class at that)? I've had to work a lot harder to prove myself because of the undergrad degree, but I am still a hard worker/quick learner with gifts and talents in addition to great work experience. I personally would be most concerned with a candidate's ability to practically apply the skills required for the job as proven by previous, successful firsthand experience at their previous jobs rather than merely the fact that they went to a "for profit" college.
Its not a background issue, its a common sense issue. The first question that should come to mind when signing up for a school is "Is this a good school?" A quick online search will reveal infinity pages of people saying its a terrible idea. A good masters program wants intelligent people, intelligent people ask questions. You should have asked this question.

Old 04-20-2015, 02:42 PM

58 posts, read 83,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Its not a background issue, its a common sense issue. The first question that should come to mind when signing up for a school is "Is this a good school?" A quick online search will reveal infinity pages of people saying its a terrible idea. A good masters program wants intelligent people, intelligent people ask questions. You should have asked this question.
Common sense is entirely subjective. At 18 I had no idea about certain things like accreditation, alumni network, etc. The school lied and inflated certain statistics, featured videos/testimonials of the most successful people in my field, etc. There weren't as many bad reviews as there have been after. It's been 10 yrs. In hindsight, yes, more should have been done but when you're 18 and naive and you're main prerogative is breezing through school swiftly to enter your field, you miss things. As I've said, my parents were also clueless about how the college system works here. When I initially enrolled, the economy was fine and then it went bust literally a month after graduation. Thank the heavens you knew everything at every point of your life. You are a celestial being.

Anyway, overall, I am thriving in life and went to a well respected grad school abroad and graduated at the top of my class and in real life in the professional world, I am thriving too and the best is still yet to come.

Old 04-20-2015, 03:32 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,362,717 times
Quote:
Common sense is entirely subjective. At 18 I had no idea about certain things like accreditation, alumni network, etc. The school lied and inflated certain statistics, featured videos/testimonials of the most successful people in my field, etc. There weren't as many bad reviews as there have been after. It's been 10 yrs. In hindsight, yes, more should have been done but when you're 18 and naive and you're main prerogative is breezing through school swiftly to enter your field, you miss things. As I've said, my parents were also clueless about how the college system works here. When I initially enrolled, the economy was fine and then it went bust literally a month after graduation. Thank the heavens you knew everything at every point of your life. You are a celestial being.

Anyway, overall, I am thriving in life and went to a well respected grad school abroad and graduated at the top of my class and in real life in the professional world, I am thriving too and the best is still yet to come.
How is it possible for common sense to be "entirely subjective." Subjective is the complete opposite of what common sense is. It is "common."

Old 04-21-2015, 09:24 AM

4,299 posts, read 2,815,345 times
Quote:

I don't know if I would say common sense is entirely subjective because jman is right but I do agree with you other than that. People think you SHOULD know that these schools are bad but if you come from a different background, the only people to steer you away is on the internet. I kinda said this in the other thread but if I just believed what people told me then I'd be in worse health than I already am. I don't even believe what my doctor says let alone some people on the internet unless I see it for myself/it makes sense to me that they would have no reason to lie. You have to know you can trust your information. It's even worse if the school is accredited and you don't right away know what you want to do with your life and once you finally do you're lost on how to get it.
Maybe I'm just stupid for choosing U of P but should that mean I should remain unemployed? I mean being rejected like that only makes me feel more stupid so if a potential employer is rejecting me for that thanks for proving to me I'm not worthy of being independent. Apparently you're not allowed to be human anymore.
That's not even the stupidest part though. The stupidest part is people tell you not to live in the past yet employers crucify you for your past (how's that for common sense) so anytime someone tells me to look forward to the future I just tell them I can't because no one will let me.

Must be nice to have a life where they can just judge people. Is it any wonder I can get pretty envious of ignorant people?

Last edited by Nickchick; 04-21-2015 at 09:44 AM..

Old 04-22-2015, 07:55 PM

58 posts, read 83,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
I don't know if I would say common sense is entirely subjective because jman is right but I do agree with you other than that. People think you SHOULD know that these schools are bad but if you come from a different background, the only people to steer you away is on the internet. I kinda said this in the other thread but if I just believed what people told me then I'd be in worse health than I already am. I don't even believe what my doctor says let alone some people on the internet unless I see it for myself/it makes sense to me that they would have no reason to lie. You have to know you can trust your information. It's even worse if the school is accredited and you don't right away know what you want to do with your life and once you finally do you're lost on how to get it.
Maybe I'm just stupid for choosing U of P but should that mean I should remain unemployed? I mean being rejected like that only makes me feel more stupid so if a potential employer is rejecting me for that thanks for proving to me I'm not worthy of being independent. Apparently you're not allowed to be human anymore.
That's not even the stupidest part though. The stupidest part is people tell you not to live in the past yet employers crucify you for your past (how's that for common sense) so anytime someone tells me to look forward to the future I just tell them I can't because no one will let me.

Must be nice to have a life where they can just judge people. Is it any wonder I can get pretty envious of ignorant people?
You're right; it's not entirely subjective, but it widely is. Despite my poor and misguided choices (and very limited, if any reviews 10yrs ago on the school), I still have put my money where my mouth is otherwise. I had to fight harder to "prove myself" but in the end, it is the application of knowledge that matters most.

Keep your head up! You'll have a lot more to prove but if you do it and do it well, someone will take a chance on you! Also, milk your network for what its worth. I've reached out to tons of people in the area I am moving to and just people in general to see if they know someone who knows someone. Being flexible and open to moving to another area/state where your skills are in demand will also widen the chances for you. Additionally, interest/industry groups on meetup.com, career fairs, etc. If you are not yet at a mid to senior level in your career, I also recommend paid internships to get more hands on experience/remain relevant in your field and network.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:57 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,072,947 times
I have three degrees, none from online schools, but I hire a lot of Master's graduates. I never discount someone for having an MBA from one of the many online profit schools--if they have other factors going in their favor.

I think the rule of the thumb is, if you are going to get a degree from a non-reputable institution make sure that the paper isn't your trump card. There better be other things that will stand out about you. I do think, however, that big chunk of students in these programs do hope that a diploma will transform their career.

Old 04-23-2015, 11:48 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,500,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
I do think, however, that big chunk of students in these programs do hope that a diploma will transform their career.
I've seen it. I went to a non-name brand school for my MBA. It wasn't a for-profit, but not difficult to get into. I have a lot of experience in my career and had no need or desire to go to a big name B-school. I saw a lot of desperate people who were betting on that MBA getting them into a new career. I called them "The Walking Wounded" because after working on group projects with them it was apparent that they had no marketable skills going for them whatsoever. These people struggle with basic analysis. I shudder to think what happened to them after they graduated.

Old 04-23-2015, 03:03 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,362,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
I have three degrees, none from online schools, but I hire a lot of Master's graduates. I never discount someone for having an MBA from one of the many online profit schools--if they have other factors going in their favor.

I think the rule of the thumb is, if you are going to get a degree from a non-reputable institution make sure that the paper isn't your trump card. There better be other things that will stand out about you. I do think, however, that big chunk of students in these programs do hope that a diploma will transform their career.
SO have you ever actually HIRED someone with an online for profit degree, and if so, what type of position was it?

Old 04-23-2015, 03:43 PM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,072,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
SO have you ever actually HIRED someone with an online for profit degree, and if so, what type of position was it?
Absolutely. Business Analyst.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search