Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 09:32 AM

4,299 posts, read 2,817,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashion&business101 View Post
You're right; it's not entirely subjective, but it widely is. Despite my poor and misguided choices (and very limited, if any reviews 10yrs ago on the school), I still have put my money where my mouth is otherwise. I had to fight harder to "prove myself" but in the end, it is the application of knowledge that matters most.

Keep your head up! You'll have a lot more to prove but if you do it and do it well, someone will take a chance on you! Also, milk your network for what its worth. I've reached out to tons of people in the area I am moving to and just people in general to see if they know someone who knows someone. Being flexible and open to moving to another area/state where your skills are in demand will also widen the chances for you. Additionally, interest/industry groups on meetup.com, career fairs, etc. If you are not yet at a mid to senior level in your career, I also recommend paid internships to get more hands on experience/remain relevant in your field and network.
I don't have a network as I'm not sure the paid activities I do online count as references (though my career counselor put them on my resume in a way that made it look like they are more valuable than they are). I'm not really sociable IRL but I've looked for networking events in my city anyway and didn't find any. The job fairs are always a waste of time. I was able to give my resume to 2 or 3 companies to the last one and nothing came out of it.
I've applied to internships that sound like ones I can do. I looked on internships.com again recently but they seem to have the same ones. I don't know where else to look. I'm getting sick of Google because I have been coming up with mostly just ones that require experience that I don't have. It seems there are more opportunities in other locations and I do hate my city but I don't know how I'd move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 12:09 PM

58 posts, read 83,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
I don't have a network as I'm not sure the paid activities I do online count as references (though my career counselor put them on my resume in a way that made it look like they are more valuable than they are). I'm not really sociable IRL but I've looked for networking events in my city anyway and didn't find any. The job fairs are always a waste of time. I was able to give my resume to 2 or 3 companies to the last one and nothing came out of it.
I've applied to internships that sound like ones I can do. I looked on internships.com again recently but they seem to have the same ones. I don't know where else to look. I'm getting sick of Google because I have been coming up with mostly just ones that require experience that I don't have. It seems there are more opportunities in other locations and I do hate my city but I don't know how I'd move.
Wow. Well it sounds like confidence is an area than can be improved; it will come across in interviews and interactions with people if you lack belief in yourself. If you don't show you believe in you, how are others going to believe in you?

Here's food for thought: I rushed through college, even at one point dual enrolling and graduated a year early. Great I thought! Wrong. The economy tanked a month later and it was hard to get my first job. 300 no's over a year's period before that one yes. My strategy was that if it was going to be difficult to get a job, I should intern within my field at paid internships to remain relevant and have some practical experience. My second internship's responsibilities are what earned me my first job. I also enrolled in a government program where you can get an AA or technical certificate, and I also was able to meet people in my industry that way. The guy I gave my first job to when I moved abroad for grad school was a friend I made during the technical school program.

I know being jobless and turned down is depressing, disheartening, and a crush to your spirit but you must continue to press on. I don't know how deep your issues may or may not be but therapy is very helpful too!

Moving just all depends. I've always known people in the cities I moved to with the exception of Europe but I started off in grad school so that made it easier. I would say just put willing to relocate on your resume and see if something sticks. Also have an analytical and trusted friend maybe assess your strengths and best skills. I would also recommend signing up with recruiters. Recruiters are good at that kind of stuff and that's how I found my first job. Some recruiting agencies will also grill you and make you take tests to give you an idea of what you may be good at.

Old 04-24-2015, 03:33 PM

856 posts, read 1,055,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
Hi all, I have a fellow co-worker who got her MBA from Univ of Phoenix 5 years ago. She has yet to secure the Director level job in Benefits Administration that she wants. I haven't the heart to tell her that maybe it's because of the stigma of Univ of Phoenix. She paid over $40k for her degree with them and she's just frustrated. I feel for her and I just want to get a sense from you all to see if her MBA from this infamous school is preventing her from obtaining the type of job she really wants.
MI.....Hello.....

Well, I've read every post and not one person addresses the issue of whether or not your friend is 'qualified' to take such a Director position re Benefits Administration.

You say she has 25 years business experience.

Was any or all of it in Compensation and/or Benefits?

If not, I'd say everybody here is looking in the wrong direction and that simply, with no Benefits experience, why would any company hand such a job -at Director level, especially- to anyone with no Benefits experience?

If she does have Benefits experience, then I would go so far as to say that even with her online course from the 'infamous' U of Phoenix, there would still be a company out there willing to hire her in Benefits.

A Director level position presumes a previous position in Benefits at the Manager level.

So,

Does she have experience in Benefits?

At the Manager level?

If so, then something is missing in this equation and it is not necessarily the school thing.

If no, then that is your answer -no relevant experience- not what school she enrolled with.

Paul.........

Old 04-24-2015, 06:09 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,063,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadhunterPaul View Post
MI.....Hello.....

Well, I've read every post and not one person addresses the issue of whether or not your friend is 'qualified' to take such a Director position re Benefits Administration.

You say she has 25 years business experience.

Was any or all of it in Compensation and/or Benefits?

If not, I'd say everybody here is looking in the wrong direction and that simply, with no Benefits experience, why would any company hand such a job -at Director level, especially- to anyone with no Benefits experience?

If she does have Benefits experience, then I would go so far as to say that even with her online course from the 'infamous' U of Phoenix, there would still be a company out there willing to hire her in Benefits.

A Director level position presumes a previous position in Benefits at the Manager level.

So,

Does she have experience in Benefits?

At the Manager level?

If so, then something is missing in this equation and it is not necessarily the school thing.

If no, then that is your answer -no relevant experience- not what school she enrolled with.

Paul.........

Yes, my co-worker has middle management experience as a Billing Manager. She's eager to go the next step up. She's stuck in a rut and has been applying for director level positions. She had one interview, but nothing came of it. She believes she deserves to earn more than $50k a year, and I don't blame her.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:57 PM

856 posts, read 1,055,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post

Yes, my co-worker has middle management experience as a Billing Manager.

She's eager to go the next step up.

She's stuck in a rut and

has been applying for director level positions.

She had one interview, but nothing came of it.

She believes she deserves to earn more than $50k a year, and I don't blame her.
MI, Hello....

Well, if it is not too nosy to ask, what is it about being a Billing Manager that she believes qualifies her for being a Director of Benefits Administration?

I'm curious to know since the one job has nothing to do with the other. Unless you are saying she is a Benefits Billing Manager.

And since Benefits has a lot to do with knowing all about employee health benefits and knowing how to negotiate with the insurance companies for an advantageous position for the company, it makes me wonder how being a Billing Manager (assuming this has nothing to do with benefits administration/billing) qualifies her to come in at the Director level over benefits administration.

As a headhunter, I would also be curious to know why she "deserves" to earn more than $50K/year since 'deserving' would be predicated on her, for example, saving her company thousands of dollars in benefits costs, presumably as a 'Benefits Billing Manager'.

So that we are all on the same page, I have excerpted some bullets from a Compensation and Benefits executive's resume from my candidate files.

Perhaps you could let us know how much of this type of experience she has so we would know had badly she is getting dissed. (This is a dated resume and as such, is missing additional bullets that would be evident in a more current Benefits executive's resume.)

Managed company payroll in excess of $600 million and benefits budget of $130 million.

Implemented and managed an innovative executive compensation program, including short- and long-term cash and stock incentive plans with deferral and "reload" features.

Implemented and managed Board of Directors compensation program.

Initiated company-wide study of associates to redefine employment relationship (pay, benefits, development, work/life balance, work environment) and tailored programs to meet associate needs.

Primary responsibility for Retirement and Welfare Plan design and funding.

Converted Corporate HRIS to client-server technology, using PeopleSoft HRMS, integrated with in-house systems for time & attendance and benefits administration

Created market-driven cross-divisional pay programs to leverage workforce.

Proposed and managed exchange of 16 million “underwater†stock options for 2 million restricted shares, delighting employees and investors alike.

Designed and implemented a non-qualified Supplemental Executive Retirement (ERISA excess) Plan, funded through split-dollar life insurance.

Developed non-traditional management job evaluation system and hybrid DB/DC pension plan in Japan. Implemented an ESOP in Japan in preparation for IPO.

Drafted revised UK Executive Share Option Scheme and redesigned UK Pension Scheme.

I included the expatriate bullets since at the Director level it would be expected such a person has experience administering benefits for employees based overseas.

Of course, it goes without saying that someone taking on a Director role will already be assuming and executing the duties associated with that level of employment.

So, I think that if your friend has this kind of experience, then yes, we would agree with you that she is not getting a fair shake.

?

Paul........

Old 04-25-2015, 07:55 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,197,131 times
Who is to say if the degree from University of Phoenix is holding her back. It might be the case; however, it might be the case that someone up top does not feel like she is the right candidate for the job.

The stigma of obtaining an degree from University of Phoenix is questionable. I know people who just went to the University of Phoenix because their employer wanted them to get a degree. Any degree. And this was 5 to 8 years ago when most State universities and colleges did not offer online degrees to the extent they do now. Now days, I would believe that most, if not all, state colleges and universities offer online degrees. And at a fraction of the cost.

Today, University of Phoenix has lost 1/2 of its enrollment from 5 years ago.

University of Phoenix has lost half its students. Stock plunges 28% - Mar. 25, 2015

Old 04-25-2015, 09:47 AM

4,299 posts, read 2,817,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashion&business101 View Post
Wow. Well it sounds like confidence is an area than can be improved; it will come across in interviews and interactions with people if you lack belief in yourself. If you don't show you believe in you, how are others going to believe in you?

Here's food for thought: I rushed through college, even at one point dual enrolling and graduated a year early. Great I thought! Wrong. The economy tanked a month later and it was hard to get my first job. 300 no's over a year's period before that one yes. My strategy was that if it was going to be difficult to get a job, I should intern within my field at paid internships to remain relevant and have some practical experience. My second internship's responsibilities are what earned me my first job. I also enrolled in a government program where you can get an AA or technical certificate, and I also was able to meet people in my industry that way. The guy I gave my first job to when I moved abroad for grad school was a friend I made during the technical school program.

I know being jobless and turned down is depressing, disheartening, and a crush to your spirit but you must continue to press on. I don't know how deep your issues may or may not be but therapy is very helpful too!

Moving just all depends. I've always known people in the cities I moved to with the exception of Europe but I started off in grad school so that made it easier. I would say just put willing to relocate on your resume and see if something sticks. Also have an analytical and trusted friend maybe assess your strengths and best skills. I would also recommend signing up with recruiters. Recruiters are good at that kind of stuff and that's how I found my first job. Some recruiting agencies will also grill you and make you take tests to give you an idea of what you may be good at.
The problem is I'm not like other people. My esteem relies on me actually landing a job. I have plenty of motivational quote backgrounds but I'm a hypocrite for having them because I rarely see how they work for me. If I could get more interviews maybe that would help but I can't even get them.
It's impossible for me to believe in myself when I don't have that circumstantial validation. A million people could complement me and it won't matter unless they're a potential employer who is being honest.
The most difficult part of all though is the competition. I am not competitive. I can barely even win challenges on the dance games and I'm better at those than most other things. I know there are other candidates who are most likely more experienced than me so I would have to prove that I am the best candidate in order to get the job but I don't know how especially when I don't know what the other candidates have to offer.
I've been to therapy in the past and it didn't really help but going to a new therapist in a few days. I just don't know how I'm going to talk to them because they would have to help me actually land a job in order for it to have any benefit for me. Plus I have a difficult time with talking about my issues IRL in general. It's hard to get much out of it when I'm not a sociable person anyways.
I don't know where to find good recruiters. I know there are tons out there when searching the internet but I don't think I saw any for my field and also there are supposed to be two kinds of recruiters. The kind that is good is apparently the one that would take a hit on your salary (but you'd never see it). The other kind just is trying to fill a quota. I don't know how to find the first kind.
I guess I could always put that about willing to relocate but I feel weird saying I am when I'm the only one that would need to move and I don't really know how to be an adult (I don't even know how to drive right now because Ive been too scared to go behind the wheel due to irrational fear of accidents). I know that a job would help me be more independent but is it reasonable to go full throttle?

Last edited by Nickchick; 04-25-2015 at 09:56 AM..

Old 04-25-2015, 10:12 PM

58 posts, read 83,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
The problem is I'm not like other people. My esteem relies on me actually landing a job. I have plenty of motivational quote backgrounds but I'm a hypocrite for having them because I rarely see how they work for me. If I could get more interviews maybe that would help but I can't even get them.
It's impossible for me to believe in myself when I don't have that circumstantial validation. A million people could complement me and it won't matter unless they're a potential employer who is being honest.
The most difficult part of all though is the competition. I am not competitive. I can barely even win challenges on the dance games and I'm better at those than most other things. I know there are other candidates who are most likely more experienced than me so I would have to prove that I am the best candidate in order to get the job but I don't know how especially when I don't know what the other candidates have to offer.
I've been to therapy in the past and it didn't really help but going to a new therapist in a few days. I just don't know how I'm going to talk to them because they would have to help me actually land a job in order for it to have any benefit for me. Plus I have a difficult time with talking about my issues IRL in general. It's hard to get much out of it when I'm not a sociable person anyways.
I don't know where to find good recruiters. I know there are tons out there when searching the internet but I don't think I saw any for my field and also there are supposed to be two kinds of recruiters. The kind that is good is apparently the one that would take a hit on your salary (but you'd never see it). The other kind just is trying to fill a quota. I don't know how to find the first kind.
I guess I could always put that about willing to relocate but I feel weird saying I am when I'm the only one that would need to move and I don't really know how to be an adult (I don't even know how to drive right now because Ive been too scared to go behind the wheel due to irrational fear of accidents). I know that a job would help me be more independent but is it reasonable to go full throttle?
I am not sure what state you are in, but my best friend is in the Northeast and attending therapy/taking medication for severe depression. She graduated from the top school in her field, almost two years ago; extremely talented but it's only recently that she's mustered up the courage to start applying for jobs and I am so proud of her! She was telling me how through therapy (free and funded by the state), there's a mentorship program where you can find people in your field who also struggle with mental illness (although you might not, but in case you do). I think that's awesome!

Well I am hoping you reach the point of having more confidence. It can be really really difficult. I think you should not look to be validated mere by external things, but your character, how you touch the lives of others, etc. If you are only validated by a job, are you suddenly invalidated if the company goes bust or lays you off or something? You need to find that happiness and peace within but I won't go on a philosophical spiel.

I don't think you should go by hearsay. I found my first job through a recruiter. I recently looked into a recruiter who got like 5 people from my company jobs with a pay hike of $20k upwards. Their commission is contingent on your salary offer so it behooves them to work out the best salary for you. Don't make excuses; just try. It better to try it and fail than to never try it at all and have all these preconceived notions that may very well be inaccurate. Some sites like yelp may have recruiter reviews and going to things like LinkedIn to see their recommendations may give you a good idea as to whether or not they are good. They should have plenty endorsements. It sounds like you just need to seek treatment for your conditions that impede your growth. Be open minded about it. Therapists are there to help you get better. You don't have to struggle alone. It helps to have support. I am there for my best friend 24/7 whatever she needs because I want to see her make it out on the other side victorious! YES!! Go full throttle! All or nothing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search