Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 07:27 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,073,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageJoeMamma View Post
work ethic. it works for those who have it. those who don't might not work, or see as much value in work for the sake of it. meaning an honest days work for an honest days pay. no matter the work or the pay so long as you are sustained by it somewhat

if a person thinks they are entitled to a certain position because they went to school to work in one field or position all their life....i am not sure that going to school and getting a degree assures us of this? you may have to change your state of mind a bit to reflect reality. so maintaining a balanced state of mind and strong work ethic can help a person prepare for just about anything but sitting around in a bathrobe all day "looking for work" on the internet

it can be tricky. i have a friend who was let go from his long time career as a corporate lawyer. same company for 27 years. great guy, but has become so much a lawyer, overweight, and comfortable, he couldn't see himself doing anything else. but sadly nor can he do much else because of his weight related health issues. so you have a guy who is very educated, smart, and capable in his field who can't even do what a lot of low skilled, low wage jobs require you to do. sure a person might be smart, skilled, and educated.....but can they even stand up seven hours a day to work retail much less work at costco? all that education and entitlement to be no more capable than a middle age worker with a GED checking receipts, as the masses push their shopping carts out the door of a warehouse store

his wife supports him now. she's in real estate. they have retirement savings, a good "nest egg." he's only nine years older then me and he is done at 58. i guess that is ok if a person wants to be done at 58. he never wanted to be, however. he's had a few job offers for things which "don't pay enough." it's just not worth it to him, to work for less then his market value. as he sees it. his position and pay sets his worth for him. without it he just tells people he is "retired"

but he isn't. not really. he's just not capable of working. it sounds good to others though, retired at 58. i guess that's good enough for him, now. although he never planned it that way

work ethic. it will keep you prepared.....for almost anything

What difference does it make what someone is wearing when they are searching for employment on the internet? Isn't the only thing that matters is that the person is seeking employment so they can be working again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2015, 07:27 PM

35,146 posts, read 17,102,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
No you should not and that seems to be the popular advice on this board which has never made any kind of sense. Accepting any job to appear driven and motivated does nothing but lead to depression.
I am beginning to become that depressed. I am keeping it from my family so I don't make them the victim of my feelings. Believe me, I started crying in synagogue Friday night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Of course not. You should take a job at Costco if that's all you can find and if it means the difference between having a roof over your head or sleeping in a box under a bridge.
It doesn't. Both my wife and I have moderate amounts of money and the mortgage has almost been paid off. We have lived prudent, decent lives. When I go to networking events, which is constantly, I find that I am paid little attention. Only the donors matter. I am about at an end to this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
You likely wouldn't be hired anyway.
I doubt I will be regardless.

When I ask people if they know of anyone who would need someone with my (rather ample) skill I am asked dumb questions like "have you considered a headhunter" or "have you thought about opening your own office"? They are dumb questions because both imply having a huge amount of my own, readily paying business. I am more of a service or "team" person.

As I said I am fast losing hope.

Old 05-10-2015, 07:32 PM

70 posts, read 84,468 times
Quote:
What difference does it make what someone is wearing when they are searching for employment on the internet? Isn't the only thing that matters is that the person is seeking employment so they can be working again?
oh, i didn't mean that personally, btw. when i said "you" in my post

it doesn't matter. be as comfortable as can be. you are right. just don't become so attached to the bathrobe that a suit and tie becomes bothersome

Old 05-10-2015, 07:33 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,645,764 times
Quote:
Aren't you in the business of advising people on how to get jobs? This is basic stuff.

Old 05-10-2015, 07:56 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Aren't you in the business of advising people on how to get jobs? This is basic stuff.
Yes I am which is basically finding a way to seek employment that doesn't involve applying from the outside.

Old 05-10-2015, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Yes I am which is basically finding a way to seek employment that doesn't involve applying from the outside.
I'm sorry, but if this is the case then you should know the way you dress impacts the way you feel about yourself, which is projected in all that you do. And when you're unemployed, the best thing you can do for yourself is to maintain your normal habits - working out, showering, getting dressed for the day. While it's true that nobody will see you sitting on a couch in a robe while you search for work, it contributes to some very negative feelings people have about themselves during a vulnerable time.

You shouldn't be telling anyone that it doesn't matter. It does.

Old 05-10-2015, 09:24 PM
FBJ

Quote:
I'm sorry, but if this is the case then you should know the way you dress impacts the way you feel about yourself, which is projected in all that you do. And when you're unemployed, the best thing you can do for yourself is to maintain your normal habits - working out, showering, getting dressed for the day. While it's true that nobody will see you sitting on a couch in a robe while you search for work, it contributes to some very negative feelings people have about themselves during a vulnerable time.

You shouldn't be telling anyone that it doesn't matter. It does.

The point being made was just because someone is home seeking work on the internet doesn't mean they have on a bath robe.

Old 05-11-2015, 01:04 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,484,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee666 View Post
Its work not charity and not welfare. It may not be nice, fair or right but it is what it is. That is why I think you should have a job, any job, rather than be unemployed. You can be an Uber driver for Godsakes, just be employed. Stay plugged into the workforce or you become so disconnected, jaded and depressed that you are as untouchable as an Ebola patient.
Heh... for some professions, this won't work. If someone's trying to get back into engineering, programming, project management, accounting, law, nursing, what have you, a HM is going to see you as the same status of an unemployed person because driving for Uber for 6 months would've done NOTHING to keep you current on tech trends, programming languages, regulations, medical practices, etc. If anything, the unemployed guy has an advantage because he has the time to be pursuing those activities.

Long story short, if a HM is sensing negativity towards long term unemployed, they'll also make such "filler jobs" a negative experience towards your candidacy too.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:29 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,639,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
It's also very common in older citizens who lived in a time when jobs were plentiful. They're often the ones grumbling about how there are "plenty of jobs" because "back in mah day, I went down to the steel mill and got a job that morning with just handshake!" while happily ignoring the facts that you can't just walk into places to get hired these days, and that mill - along with many other places - has been out of business a long, long time.

I actually feel sorry for anyone who thinks that the way things were done back then, are no where near what they are now. You cannot walk in to most places. You will almost never get to speak to a hiring manager. There are all kinds of roadblocks to even get your resume seen. But that's right, back in the old days a lot of them didn't use a resume.

Old 05-11-2015, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I am beginning to become that depressed. I am keeping it from my family so I don't make them the victim of my feelings. Believe me, I started crying in synagogue Friday night.
It doesn't. Both my wife and I have moderate amounts of money and the mortgage has almost been paid off. We have lived prudent, decent lives. When I go to networking events, which is constantly, I find that I am paid little attention. Only the donors matter. I am about at an end to this.I doubt I will be regardless.

When I ask people if they know of anyone who would need someone with my (rather ample) skill I am asked dumb questions like "have you considered a headhunter" or "have you thought about opening your own office"? They are dumb questions because both imply having a huge amount of my own, readily paying business. I am more of a service or "team" person.

As I said I am fast losing hope.

Many of us have been there. Try and remind yourself of your worth and keep moving forward. It's okay to let your family know how you feel - they are your support system - and I sometimes think trying to hide your feelings is what causes the depression.

Have you used Linkedin at all as a resource? Do a search for groups in your field that are local, and post that you've been looking for a job. Some of those groups even have jobs tabs so look at that, too. Also search for recruiters who may specialize in your field. Follow the companies you'd like to work for. Send the recruiters in those companies your resume. You'll have to become a paying member if you aren't already, but will be able to initiate contact that way.

I know two people who landed jobs by using Linkedin as a resource.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search