Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 08:51 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,728,508 times

Advertisements

Takes 2-3 months just for their canned rejection email.

Seriously the most frustrating, worthless experience I've had.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 09:00 AM

732 posts, read 970,224 times
When I worked for the Federal government (NIH, Bethesda, MD) we all knew when a position was real and those that were advertised because of requirements. I never was involved in hiring anyone then because I was not a manager ever, but it was really broken then. Buddies got their buddies in, the money wasters were promoted, the fake job listing were maybe 50% and caused lots of wasted effort on the public.

Today, the money wasting is worse and I am sure the money wasters are still promoted. I have no idea if buddies still get their buddies in, but one thing is for absolutely sure: The transformation of the hiring process to USAJobs has caused the wasted effort on the public who think these are real positions to increase vastly.

So in other words in say 1995 10 people applied to a fake listing which was wrong to those 10 applicants, now thousands and thousands apply to a fake listing. I also think the amount of fake listing has gone up to about 95% of the positions on USAJobs, where-as I am pretty sure when I worked in the government it was only about 50%.

Hard to say, I never was a manager, but the government is broken. Can any of us do anything about it? Not much probably but count on things getting worse probably.

Old 06-29-2015, 12:48 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,060,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TestEngr View Post
When I worked for the Federal government (NIH, Bethesda, MD) we all knew when a position was real and those that were advertised because of requirements. I never was involved in hiring anyone then because I was not a manager ever, but it was really broken then. Buddies got their buddies in, the money wasters were promoted, the fake job listing were maybe 50% and caused lots of wasted effort on the public.

Today, the money wasting is worse and I am sure the money wasters are still promoted. I have no idea if buddies still get their buddies in, but one thing is for absolutely sure: The transformation of the hiring process to USAJobs has caused the wasted effort on the public who think these are real positions to increase vastly.

So in other words in say 1995 10 people applied to a fake listing which was wrong to those 10 applicants, now thousands and thousands apply to a fake listing. I also think the amount of fake listing has gone up to about 95% of the positions on USAJobs, where-as I am pretty sure when I worked in the government it was only about 50%.

Hard to say, I never was a manager, but the government is broken. Can any of us do anything about it? Not much probably but count on things getting worse probably.

Thanks, you have confirmed the corruptness of the existence of USAjobs.gov and I will not apply to them anymore. I applied to three supposedly fantastic opportunities in the past nine month, only to not be "qualified" enough to make it to the second round, so discouraging. Life is short and this country is going down the drain and I don't want to work for any US government agency.

Old 06-29-2015, 02:20 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,442,993 times
There are some good jobs there but it is a big old numbers game.

On my last search I applied to about 250 relevant jobs
40% were a total black hole no status updates nothing
20% I got found not qualified (ridiculous)
35% I got found not among best qualified (a bit more understandable)
~5% I got referred to selecting official and about 1/3 of those I at least got a phone call.

Old 06-29-2015, 02:30 PM

732 posts, read 970,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
There are some good jobs there but it is a big old numbers game.

On my last search I applied to about 250 relevant jobs
40% were a total black hole no status updates nothing
20% I got found not qualified (ridiculous)
35% I got found not among best qualified (a bit more understandable)
~5% I got referred to selecting official and about 1/3 of those I at least got a phone call.

That would be about the right ratio. But to rename your list:

---------
40% were a total black hole = Total fake position listing for somebody already there. Just a formality.
20% I got found not qualified = Total fake position listing for somebody already there. Just a formality.
35% I got found not among best qualified = A buddy is hiring a buddy and is required to actually review and get some similar candidates, but it is a fake position listing still and still just a formality. They must reject some similar candidates to put there buddy in.
~5% I got referred to selecting official and about 1/3 of those I at least got a phone call = The real positions.
-----------

So about 95% fake is pretty much the way it is.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:31 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,052,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefastlife View Post
Takes 2-3 months just for their canned rejection email.

Seriously the most frustrating, worthless experience I've had.

FALSE, a former coworker found a federal job on their and now works at the Social Security Administration Office. So the site is not worthless at all it's just something you need to fix and come up with a better game plan.

Old 06-30-2015, 05:16 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,484,731 times
The jobs are real; it's just very hard to get them over federal employees who have competitive status and applicants with veterans' preference points. They probably receive thousands of applications for most of their job postings.

Old 06-30-2015, 06:10 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,052,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
The jobs are real; it's just very hard to get them over federal employees who have competitive status and applicants with veterans' preference points. They probably receive thousands of applications for most of their job postings.
Those are the types of jobs you only apply to when you are employed since the process is so long.

Old 06-30-2015, 07:12 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,552,018 times
I didn't see any "fake" jobs on usajobs... just because you didn't get it doesn't mean it is fake >.>

but yes, it takes a while to get a reply back. But I've gotten a reply back both times I applied, once I didn't get job, the second time I did.

Old 07-01-2015, 12:16 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,711,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
FALSE, a former coworker found a federal job on their and now works at the Social Security Administration Office. So the site is not worthless at all it's just something you need to fix and come up with a better game plan.
One person out of millions of people applying does not prove whether some or many of the jobs are or aren't fake job postings. Of course 'some' people get jobs from the site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search