Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 04:37 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,580,574 times

Advertisements

Okay,

I guess I'm not doing awful, but my paycheck was around $900 this month. My other paycheck this month was about $200. I know teachers don't go into the profession to make money, but it might be safe to say that I'm struggling. Finding a full-time teaching position is proving to be very difficult. I've been job hunting for over four years. There are positions available in other states, but I don't have enough money to pursue them. I'm kind of depressed. I feel like I have a lot more potential than I'm showing, but I'm a little confused on what to do about it.

Here are a few things I've considered:

Cut expenses as low as I can get them:
*Drop the $40 internet bill; I have access to free WI-FI in town.
*Use the car only when necessary; I pay $75 per month for insurance and another $150 per month for gas, and there is regular public transportation available to most of my job sites.
* Look for a roommate. I tried this for a little while, but we did not get along. I pay about $520 per month in rent, including utilities.
*Cut down on recreational spending. I spend around $100 per month
*Drop the cell phone, and get a watch. I spend about $35 per month on phone service that I barely use.

Be content with what I have, and be grateful for it!

Become a tutor. I haven't been able to find people who want to hire me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 07:03 AM

928 posts, read 1,101,576 times
You can only cut your expenses so much and it doesn't sound like you are living a lavish style to begin with. It doesn't even sound like you are living a lower middle class lifestyle either.

Stop finding excuses for why you can't find a job. Looking for 4 years an not finding anything, gimme a break will ya! There are other opportunities but you are too lazy or particular to pursue them. Borrow money, find work in another town and move. Don't know what else to tell you.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee666 View Post
Stop finding excuses for why you can't find a job. Looking for 4 years an not finding anything, gimme a break will ya! There are other opportunities but you are too lazy or particular to pursue them. Borrow money, find work in another town and move. Don't know what else to tell you.
It looks like I will need to do something. My preferred route is going back to school, even though I'm already deeply in debt and only still able to borrow a certain amount. I just feel like I would have more options if I were still in school, more than I have as an alumnus.

Old 07-08-2015, 12:37 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
As a part-time teacher, you should have additional time available for other work. School districts hire substitute teachers and you can pick and choose when you want to work. They also hire substitute bus drivers and custodians. You get notified when there is a need and can take it or not. At our district, substitute teachers get $143/day, custodians $15.10/hour, bus drivers $22.

Old 07-08-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
As a part-time teacher, you should have additional time available for other work. School districts hire substitute teachers and you can pick and choose when you want to work. They also hire substitute bus drivers and custodians. You get notified when there is a need and can take it or not. At our district, substitute teachers get $143/day, custodians $15.10/hour, bus drivers $22.
In my district, substitute teachers get $90/day, but there is no work available during the summer. They do not hire subs during the summer.

Old 07-08-2015, 01:17 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
In my district, substitute teachers get $90/day, but there is no work available during the summer. They do not hire subs during the summer.
When I was a restaurant manager I had teachers on my payroll every summer. They made more money waitressing than they did teaching. Some of them worked as substitute teachers AND waitressed year round. Could you get a job like that?

Old 07-08-2015, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
When I was a restaurant manager I had teachers on my payroll every summer. They made more money waitressing than they did teaching. Some of them worked as substitute teachers AND waitressed year round. Could you get a job like that?

I don't know. Ideally, it should be a job that high school students can't get. I don't want the kids I work with during Fall and Spring believing they can disrespect me just because I was one of their coworkers during the summer. Plus, I just don't know where to look. I've checked Craigslist and the local employment center website. I barely get any call backs from the resumes and inquiries I send in.

Besides, I would really like to know how to become a full-time teacher. I'm good at the job I have now. Why wouldn't I be just as good with a full-time position?

Old 07-08-2015, 01:52 PM

I've also considered becoming a tutor, but, it's the same story. The tutoring companies are not really hiring people like me. I didn't major in math or science and my ACT scores were not spectacular. I could try to freelance tutor, but I can't find enough people willing to take a chance and spend money on a service that isn't proven. Either that, or I have no idea where and how to advertise.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:48 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,762,355 times
I think you should follow some of the very good advice you were given in this thread.

//www.city-data.com/forum/colle...-going-go.html

Old 07-09-2015, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
I think you should follow some of the very good advice you were given in this thread.

//www.city-data.com/forum/colle...-going-go.html
They told me to look for support groups for ASD. What does that have to do with wanting to go to work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search