Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 08:38 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,268,428 times

Advertisements

Hi! I posted this awhile back on the religion forum, and got some good response since it's kinda an ethical issue. I'm starting to apply again for other jobs so I suspect it will be coming up. Anyway, thought I'd post here and see what responses I might get over here.

Bottom line: I'm a Christian and I absolutely am not willing to lie to my employer about where I'm going. But I can hardly say, "excuse me, but I need to go out for a job interview..." I work 8-5 in my current position, and have a one hour lunch with no flexibility about when I take it or taking more time than 1 hour. I don't mind saying I need to leave for "personal business" but since I've always been a little more upfront than that, that's bound to sound suspicious. In other positions, I've had more flexibility so this is the first time I've really had to deal with this issue.

Any suggestions???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 08:46 AM

445 posts, read 1,984,516 times
i dont see anything wrong with telling your boss you have some personal matter to take care of.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:48 AM

2,885 posts, read 1,984,649 times
Personal business it is then since you don't want to tell him you're going on an interview and you don't want to fib.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa162 View Post
i dont see anything wrong with telling your boss you have some personal matter to take care of.
I don't see anything wrong with that either and that very well may be what I end up having to do. But I still think it's gonna sound odd to her since I have always been very direct about why I might need to leave i.e.-going to the doctor, etc.

I do like your phraseology of "a personal matter to take care of" rather than" personal business." Again, it's not perfect but it may get down to that.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:07 AM

1,368 posts, read 6,504,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
I don't see anything wrong with that either and that very well may be what I end up having to do. But I still think it's gonna sound odd to her since I have always been very direct about why I might need to leave i.e.-going to the doctor, etc.

I do like your phraseology of "a personal matter to take care of" rather than" personal business." Again, it's not perfect but it may get down to that.
Its either that, or explain to your boss that you're interviewing for other jobs and the reasons for that.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek View Post
Its either that, or explain to your boss that you're interviewing for other jobs and the reasons for that.
I guess that really is all that can be done unless I can convince someone to talk to me right after 5.

Every other week I can leave on one day at 4:00. This may be an option if the week falls right.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:17 AM

1,368 posts, read 6,504,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
I guess that really is all that can be done unless I can convince someone to talk to me right after 5.

Every other week I can leave on one day at 4:00. This may be an option if the week falls right.
Thats possible. Its a shame your lunch hour isn't flexible. That what I used to interview, then again, I was interviewing for a weekend job that wouldn't conflict with my current one... so I could've just asked my boss.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:56 AM

5,244 posts, read 4,709,049 times
personal business or an appointment, neither is a lie...

Old 01-25-2008, 10:11 AM

2,885 posts, read 1,984,649 times
Even if you have been upfront, Kay, in the past, there is always a time when one has to/can say "for personal reasons."

Old 01-25-2008, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek View Post
Thats possible. Its a shame your lunch hour isn't flexible. That what I used to interview, then again, I was interviewing for a weekend job that wouldn't conflict with my current one... so I could've just asked my boss.
Well, I may just be forced to say something like, "Could I take a little bit of extra time on my lunch hour tomorrow? I need to take care of some personal business."
Quote:
Originally Posted by therewego View Post
personal business or an appointment, neither is a lie...
No, I don't have a problem with saying that ...except that I'm concerned my boss would know something was up. But hey, if it's reached the point you want to look elsewhere...that's probably just what has to happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillietta View Post
Even if you have been upfront, Kay, in the past, there is always a time when one has to/can say "for personal reasons."
Yes, and I think that time may have come.

Thanks for all the input guys. That helps me clarify what I may by necessity have to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search