Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2016, 11:16 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,636,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post

4) Uploading the resume and still having to retype/reenter everything that is already on the resume

If you even get to that point.......You may not even reach being able to upload before the online application errors out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2016, 11:26 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,637,408 times
My son said he was asked if he could work with black people? He said he looked around the room and he was the only white person in the room. This was a company that has been visited by Obama several times. Now tell me how a company cannot find one white person in the area that is qualified for the job. Black girl that was less qualified than he is was hired. He knew about her qualifications because their jobs had gone overseas from the last place they both worked. My son was kept on for a few months to train the new employees from India. He didn't like training his replacements but he has a wife and at that time he had two children and his wife was expecting another child. He has to take care of his family.

White male is the most discriminated against class in America.

My son is a veteran that has a top secret clearance and he is treated this way. He served in Desert Storm. Something very wrong going on in this country. I think that is the biggest cause of this bad economy. The most diversified rather than the most qualified are being hired. He is working very hard at the new business he started but it is hard for him. I am so proud of him and his love for his family.

Last edited by NCN; 01-14-2016 at 11:39 AM..

Old 01-14-2016, 12:30 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,571,914 times
I would say that 50+ year old male or female is the most discriminated against now.

Old 01-14-2016, 01:18 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,766,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
1) Jobs that are already filled or are cancelled but for whatever reason the job is still posted.

2) Jobs that are posted , however we are simply "collecting resumes" and have no intention to actually fill the position

3) Jobs that are posted and are already guaranteed to someone internal, but we will post the job opening anyway

4) Uploading the resume and still having to retype/reenter everything that is already on the resume
I agree 100%. 4 is what annoys me the most.

Old 01-14-2016, 05:28 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,771,138 times
Quote:
What do I hate most? That there are jobs out there that I am fully qualified for, and that I can't get serious consideration for, because of inept and incompetent HR and recruiting dweebs.
Have you considered it is not the inept and incompetent HR and recruiting dweebs as you call them that kept you from getting a job? Have you considered that someone else could have possibly been someone else what was a better hire.

1: That they may have been much more qualified than you are for the job. Just because you think you are qualified, does not mean you are as well qualified as someone else. And the job will be offered to someone with the most qualifications for the job. There are lots of people that meet the minimum qualifications, but there will almost always be someone that is superbly qualified. Remember, there may be 50 qualified if 200 people apply, but one to 5 will have more qualifications than the others. It is not the HR and recruiting people are inept and incompetent, but because they are good they will select the most qualified every time. They select which applicants are the most qualified, and then turn these over to the person that will be the HM or will make the final selection. From those applications the HM will select the ones that they will interview.

It is like poker. Someone with a full house will win most hands, but if someone has a royal flush, they take the pot. There may be several job applications that would be an equivalent of a full house in poker, but there is always one or two applicants that are the equivalent of a Royal Flush, and they will be the ones that get the job.

And when they interview you they may select someone they feel may have been a better fit to bring into the existing crew. No matter how good you are, there can always be someone else that is better qualified for a particular job.

Quote:
They have such one dimensional thinking. It bugs me to no end. I have been using computers almost all my life and yet I need certs to go into IT. I know as much as the Geek Squad if not more and that's without all the training. Let's think for a minute consider someone who has taught themselves the guitar versus someone who has gone to classes? Is the person who taught themselves any worse of a player than the one who has gone to classes? No not necessarily so why should jobs be any different?
The personal department, has no way of knowing if you are qualified to do the job or not. The ones that did the classes, and the ranking they had in their classes, give them some guidance to use to make a decision. The have no way of telling if you are really qualified or not. When they demand certs, they are demanding certs. The certs will tell the HR department and the HM that this application has at least the minimum qualifications. Without them they have no way of judging your ability.

Quote:
1) Jobs that are already filled or are cancelled but for whatever reason the job is still posted.
Sometimes it takes someone with enough time to go through their postings and get the job taken down. It does not happen automatically, and depending on how busy the person is that will take them all down it may take a little time to get it all done. They have other duties as well.

Quote:
2) Jobs that are posted , however we are simply "collecting resumes" and have no intention to actually fill the position
They may be looking, to see if there is someone out there that they may want. It may be a particular job that is being done now, but they are always looking to see if they can find that perfect person for the job and if they find them, they will expand their department. There is no hurry, but they can do it if they find he perfect person.

Quote:
3) Jobs that are posted and are already guaranteed to someone internal, but we will post the job opening anyway
This is often required, by Union Contract, or Federal/State laws and agencies. To keep out of trouble, and possible fines, they are required to do this.

Quote:
They do not have time to read all the resumes. The resumes do not work with their computer software, getting all the information in a manner they can quickly check the important boxes. It would take a lot more hours to check out a stack of resumes as it is a hunt and search process to read them, than it takes to read their standard applications. There will only be maybe 4 lines they will look at on an application, to select it for further evaluation or to reject it. They don't have the time it takes to find the same information on the resume, and if they get 500 applications that is probably a minimum in a large city or large company it would be a difficult job to check them all. In addition to day there is software that evaluates job applications. On those 4 lines they make the first cut from, it is not even done by humans.

Old 01-15-2016, 10:22 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,606,738 times
I know it has been said already, probably many times but I will repeat it:

1) Employer not getting back to you especially IF i have already interviewed with you in person.

Yes I know, not getting back is more often the rule than the exception and is par for the course by now, but still it is somewhat annoying. I can understand not getting back to me if I did not make it to the in-person interview stage, but to make it to the in-person interview and not get a rejection email if you decide not to go with me- that stings a bit more.

Old 01-15-2016, 11:57 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,620,438 times
Job search and interview process is not for the light of heart.

Very intense and stressful process if you are desperate to find another job.

I have had just about every possible crappy situation occur while looking for new work.

I've had companies contact me to setup interviews...only to never hear back after I responded.

I've went through 3-4 interviews with a couple of companies (all which I nailed)....only to never hear back from them.

I've had jobs send emails asking me about my race.

I've lost out on a couple of big opportunities due to ONE missed question during the final interview.

The list goes on and on.

Sad the way that we Americans treat each other these days.

My advice.....

Don't take rejection personally.

Learn to develop thick skin.

Continue to develop yourself and your skillset no matter where you are.

Best wishes to all out there looking to live a better life.

Keep fighting....keep believing....keep preparing.

Old 01-15-2016, 01:49 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,903,028 times
The most frustrating part is when you clearly have the skills and experience to do the job, but then you get the generic HR email a week later that says you don't have the skills and experience to do the job.

Old 01-15-2016, 02:11 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,203,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
The most frustrating part is when you clearly have the skills and experience to do the job, but then you get the generic HR email a week later that says you don't have the skills and experience to do the job.
The letter is generally sent by someone who has never done such work and therefore has no way of knowing what said skills are yet they arrogantly and foolishly tell you that you are lacking them.

Old 01-15-2016, 04:13 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,778,556 times
The worst is when I find out they hired someone else with a fraction of my abilities (skills, real work experience, talent).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search