Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2015, 11:10 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,056,855 times

Advertisements

I was just offered am amazing job. 40 hours per week $105k/year, pension plan, medical, dental, vision, paid relocation. In Hawaii.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2015, 12:25 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
On the positive side, that sounds great.

On the cautious side, how much did you make before? Hawaii is expensive, so 105k won't go as far as one might think. Several people I know have felt claustrophobic on an island, so make sure to budget for flights to the mainland.

I would be tempted.

Old 10-22-2015, 12:27 AM

1,592 posts, read 1,212,410 times
Watch out for the wild chickens!

Old 10-22-2015, 08:47 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Depending on where it is, it could be difficult to manage on $105K there. Remember that you are competing for housing with tourist rentals, and that almost everything has to be shipped there from the mainland. For me, that would be a pay cut, but I wouldn't do it even on my current pay because the housing in Honolulu, for example, is 25% higher than Seattle.

Old 10-22-2015, 10:43 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akonyo View Post
I was just offered am amazing job. 40 hours per week $105k/year, pension plan, medical, dental, vision, paid relocation. In Hawaii.

What do you think?

Doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. What do YOU think?

Old 10-22-2015, 12:11 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,943,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akonyo View Post

What do you think?
sounds awesome.. but i know nothing about the COL in HI and what your situation is.. is that doable for you?

Old 10-22-2015, 09:51 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,507,241 times
I recently moved away from Hawai'i after a decade of living there. I agree that it depends on where you are, how many people you have to support, what kind of a lifestyle you'd like to have, etc. In addition, Hawai'i is most certainly not for everyone, and some places can feel extremely isolated and sometimes mainlanders have difficulty adjusting.

If you're single and looking for a new experience in a new place, that pay is definitely doable, just about anywhere there. How much you have left over at the end of the month may vary.

Do you want to move there? It so, go ahead and try it on and see how it fits. Just make sure you have options. So many mainlanders would come over, all excited about "living in Paradise," only to leave in frustration within the year. Vacationing in Hawai'i is very different from living there.

Old 10-22-2015, 10:04 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,056,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Depending on where it is, it could be difficult to manage on $105K there. Remember that you are competing for housing with tourist rentals, and that almost everything has to be shipped there from the mainland. For me, that would be a pay cut, but I wouldn't do it even on my current pay because the housing in Honolulu, for example, is 25% higher than Seattle.
The job is in Maui.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jribe View Post
sounds awesome.. but i know nothing about the COL in HI and what your situation is.. is that doable for you?
I'm a single male without children, late 20s, and just leaving the military.

I've been doing some research and, according to City-Data, average rent there is about $1100/mo. I'm paying almost that much living in middle-of-nowhere, California right now.

It seems like groceries cost much more there than here though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
I recently moved away from Hawai'i after a decade of living there. I agree that it depends on where you are, how many people you have to support, what kind of a lifestyle you'd like to have, etc. In addition, Hawai'i is most certainly not for everyone, and some places can feel extremely isolated and sometimes mainlanders have difficulty adjusting.

If you're single and looking for a new experience in a new place, that pay is definitely doable, just about anywhere there. How much you have left over at the end of the month may vary.

Do you want to move there? It so, go ahead and try it on and see how it fits. Just make sure you have options. So many mainlanders would come over, all excited about "living in Paradise," only to leave in frustration within the year. Vacationing in Hawai'i is very different from living there.
I'll be honest. Hawaii was never even on my radar of places to move until I was offered this job. I've never even visited.

I have traveled a lot in my life though to many places that are advertised as "paradise". I know that no such place exists.

Old 10-23-2015, 09:04 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
We were there for a week about a year ago, and yes, groceries but also clothing and other goods are much more expensive than CA, but you should do just fine on that income there as long as you are not looking for waterfront or great views from your apartment. While I love vacationing there, I could never live in a place with so much sun and
warm weather all year, but if you like that go for it, and good luck!

Old 10-23-2015, 10:44 AM

299 posts, read 377,958 times
Everything there is very expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search