Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 09:25 AM

853 posts, read 648,644 times

Advertisements

Hello Folks,

Today I have good news, I received an email to schedule an interview through Skype in a position based in Ireland, I´m not sure if it´s in Dublin or Cork, I would say Dublin. That opportunity gives me the hope that I can land a job in one place of the world. I submitted my CV (in this case CV as is Europe) through Indeed in 12th february saying I´m living in Mexico (but remember I am spaniard, I can work in Europe) and after all they reached me! can´t believe that...

The recruiter is a manager (not HR) and told me exactly the time when the interview will take place, he advised me 7 days before the interview and the time that will last, a professionalism I didn´t see before.

I am a little scaried because I am not used to do interviews overseas so any advice would be appreciated. The company seems to be small to medium size and is related to wastewater technology, the only relevant experience I have with wastewater treatment technology is an internship I made in 2012 so I suppose I have to study because I guess the interview will have some technically oriented questions.

I have never been in Ireland but I guess is an expensive country to live. Hopefully I land a job in a country such as Ireland, I am starting getting tired applying in Mexico with no results and living in a place with a hot I am not used to. I am also planning to get home, at least I will be living in a developed country... Jesus! What I am doing in this part of the world if I don´t have results!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 07:11 PM

137 posts, read 199,723 times
Definitely brush up on your wastewater technology. Dress professionally for the interview.

They will want to know about your relocation to Ireland. Sound excited about that to reassure them, you're interested and willing to move. Start looking up places locally so you can reference them if possible. This will let them know you've done your homework.

I'm curious, are you only applying for jobs outside of Mexico after your local search didn't go well?

Hope this helps & good luck!

Old 03-31-2016, 08:15 PM

Thank you for your advice. I am applying in every country I can but I am still applying in Mexico mainly by networking so next week I have a phone interview with Mexico and some days after the interview with Ireland. I am also thinking about reaching hiring managers in UAE and Qatar as well after asking for help, somebody told me to reach them as there are many openings. I am also thinking about starting looking for jobs hard in New Zealand.

Don´t blame me for what I am doing, in my country I have nothing to do, nowadays even recent graduates are preparing their luggages and passport to emigrate. The luckiest ones find a job in Germany, UK, US but there are also people who emigrate even to african countries because is this or having nothing to do. Welcome and see "our first world country", Spainistan.

Old 03-31-2016, 08:42 PM

You're welcome. I assure you, I'm not blaming you I admire your courage to go anywhere in the world for a career. However, I do think it's good that you're still open to opportunities in Mexico.

Check this out: IET Engineering and Technology Jobs - E&TJ

I know of another site that is committed to engineers but I can't remember it right now. When it comes back to me, I will PM you.

Also, I worked in the oil industry for a brief period. Maybe you can get a job in this field? Jobs *|* Career Center Find Oil and Gas Industry Jobs *|* Rigzone

Try to narrow down your search to specific industries that would interest you to get better results. I hope this helps you get a job soon.

Take care

Old 03-31-2016, 09:53 PM

Thank you for the links, I didn´t know either.

The reality is that we are in disadvantage comparing with other professionals in the world. The engineering degrees in Spain are really hard, some of them takes even more than 6 years to complete and universities lack of internships. Then, when you complete your STEM degree you are older than other european citizens, you don´t have experience and your chances to land a job depend on who you know rather than the good you are. The usual way to land a job, I mean through job boards, job ads, etc. is harder than any other place in the world because there are very few openings and employers require languages (trilingual most of times), years of experience (sometimes abroad) and half of them are even to work abroad. It´s not uncommon you have to face more than 500 candidates to beat in a single position. As a result we have lots of gaps in our experience and we are below the average professional. This is the reason we have to give it a try in several countries until some employer decide to hire us.

I have read in some forums things that I never thought It would happen in my country. I read a story of a dude that accept an internship in India, others working in Tanzania, Ghana, etc. Unfortunately those stories never appear in the news because my government doesn´t want to show this internationally.

Old 04-02-2016, 11:38 PM

I'm sorry to hear that. I never realized the challenges that could exist for a Chemical Engineer graduate. It's one of those degrees that people assume can land you a job rather quickly.

Well, it sounds like you're doing your due diligence with the job search. The only thing I can add is to network. Other than narrowing down and targeting your positions, networking will be your next bet.

Here is a list of chemical engineer associations. If you find yourself applying for jobs in one country more than others, then consider joining their association. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ring_societies

Also, have you searched for recruiters/ HH that place candidates globally?

Old 04-03-2016, 12:09 PM

928 posts, read 1,101,733 times
Just my 2 pesos, but, and you are probably very justified in feeling this way, you sound extremely bitter and negative. I wouldn't want tonhirenyou becaue of this. Now given your situation and background it is of course understandable but you really need to work on that bitterness and negativity. It will NOT help you get a job.

Beat of luck!

Old 04-03-2016, 12:54 PM

Thank you for your replies.

alanaj7, thank you so much for your help. I will take a look at those associations. Looking for a job worldwide is not easy, there are a lot of things to do, a world to cover, that´s the reason I didn´t try all approaches but surely I will until my job appears. In respect of searching recruiters by myself instead of making a passive job hunting, this is something I didn´t worked before until two weeks ago. I am doing so through local recruiters in Mexico but I need to put it on practice in several countries as well.

Staggerlee666, please be more sensitive, I am over 5000 miles away from home (5608 approx.), do you think is easy? I am living in a country where things are not as good as my home country. Why? if you feel curious because I am living with my wife and she can pay the bills, rent a house and food for me (I did it with her in the past when I was working and she doesn´t). Well, I agree with you I am bitter and negative, it´s not easy to carry out this cross over my back and maybe I am not as stronger as I would like to be. I should work on this right now, I don´t like this reality, I don´t like to go away to a place I don´t know but I should do it with passion, It is obviously my fault. I also have to admit that my situation is by far thousand of times better than other compatriots, fortunately I have more or less the same savings I had when I lost my last job, thanks to my parents and wife, but I don´t want to be a dependent person and I am getting really stressed because time is going by and I am still unemployed, not funny after having worked in one of the best companies in my country. Finally, I want to add that things are starting getting better for me, I am getting some calls from employers in Mexico and the interview in Ireland, maybe I will land a job soon and is likely in Mexico. Unfortunately other compatriots are being ignored (remember what I said, our lack of experience) either while living overseas or looking for jobs at home, and some of them are in serious financial trouble. It´s really sad because everything worked relatively good there, we had jobs but since 2008 we are completely going down, How to react when you see a prosperous and developed country being destroyed?

Old 04-06-2016, 09:16 PM

Jorge,

You're very welcome. Try not to get discouraged. I know it's easier said than done. Create a system for yourself so you don't spend all day everyday feeling overwhelmed by the job search. For example, only search for jobs for X amount of hours a day. Give yourself a quota of jobs to apply for each day. Put something in place for following up with companies to which you've applied. If you have a checklist - so to speak - you will be more organized in your search. You're already doing your part, staying motivated is a big part of that. Don't let the negative comments online or offline get to you.

Here is another suggestion for you, search indeed jobs (Job Search | one search. all jobs. Indeed.com - USA) for "chemical Engineer visa" or "chemical engineer entry level visa" based on your target countries. For example, I did a search on Indeed Spain for "chemical engineer entry level" and found these positions: Ofertas empleo: Chemical engineer level, trabajo | Indeed.es

The trick is to really narrow down your search. The broader the search, the more time it will take and the more frustrated you will become. Try to get specific with where you're searching and how you're applying. Finally, be open to a position that gets you in your field even it's not exactly what you want. It could be a stepping stone that leads you to a company that has other positions for you.

Stay focused, organized and consistent and it will come.

I'll PM you if more ideas come to mind that I believe will be helpful.

Take care

Old 04-07-2016, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanaj7 View Post
Jorge,

You're very welcome. Try not to get discouraged. I know it's easier said than done. Create a system for yourself so you don't spend all day everyday feeling overwhelmed by the job search. For example, only search for jobs for X amount of hours a day. Give yourself a quota of jobs to apply for each day. Put something in place for following up with companies to which you've applied. If you have a checklist - so to speak - you will be more organized in your search. You're already doing your part, staying motivated is a big part of that. Don't let the negative comments online or offline get to you.

Here is another suggestion for you, search indeed jobs (Job Search | one search. all jobs. Indeed.com - USA) for "chemical Engineer visa" or "chemical engineer entry level visa" based on your target countries. For example, I did a search on Indeed Spain for "chemical engineer entry level" and found these positions: Ofertas empleo: Chemical engineer level, trabajo | Indeed.es

The trick is to really narrow down your search. The broader the search, the more time it will take and the more frustrated you will become. Try to get specific with where you're searching and how you're applying. Finally, be open to a position that gets you in your field even it's not exactly what you want. It could be a stepping stone that leads you to a company that has other positions for you.

Stay focused, organized and consistent and it will come.

I'll PM you if more ideas come to mind that I believe will be helpful.

Take care
Thank you for your advice an also for your implication helping me with my problem. I have to admit that my first approach to a worldwide job hunting was not optimal because as you mentioned, I feel overwhelmed reviewing such a massive information and sometimes I have to go bed with a terrible headache. Fortunately in Europe I don´t need a visa so it´s a great continent to give a try.

Sometimes I can´t avoid to get discouraged because time is going by and this is something I am very worried about. Fortunately, I am getting at least interviews which is amazing comparing with other spaniards that get nothing. I just have had the interview with Ireland and despite I was not horrible with my english, I saw some faces in the Manager I did not like at all, I felt a little nervous and didn´t gesticulate properly. I know how to gesticulate but I failed to do so. Another issue is those people are really serious, I screw asking him if I could take notes, he was angry with me. Anyway, I have had worse interviews in spanish (going blank) so the best way to do my best is by keep on practicing.

Do you think I have a big problem in my life? Do you think that my case have solution?

Thank you my friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search