Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2016, 10:01 AM

82 posts, read 413,414 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for some advice on what to do next.

I interviewed for a position at a new company on February 25th. I thought the interview went well. I didn't hear anything until March 10th when the recruiter called me and informed me that they wanted to extend the job offer to me. She said the next steps were to have my references complete a questionnaire, then she would put together my official offer to send to management for approval. She said that this may take some time and to be patient. I spoke with the hiring manager a couple of days later about a temporary work arrangement and he said the same thing "it could take a while but the position is business critical".

So the week of March 11th my references completed the questionnaires. The recruiter then emailed at the end of the week saying she would be out the following week along with the hiring manager. I then heard from her again on March 29th saying that she was preparing my offer request for approval by HR and Finance. The most recent update I heard was last Friday, April 1st. The recruiter emailed saying there was no update and she was still waiting on approval.

I feel like this has been taking so long and I am really excited to start this positions and start making relocation arrangements since the new job is in a different city.

Should I follow-up with recruiter again? Or should I just wait to until I hear something? What is a typical amount of time an offer approval should take?

I should add that I have another interview with another company scheduled for next week. But I am hoping this job works out since I think it will be a better fit long term. I just don't know how long I can wait!

Thanks for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 11:31 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,116,131 times
Just keep in mind that before you have the offer letter in hand, nothing is for sure. Heck, even after the offer letter is in your hands, it's still not a sure thing.

In the professional world, waiting long periods of time is not so uncommon. My longest wait was a year. Yes, a year. The 2nd longest wait was about 6 months. I've also had an offer letter come to me in 1 week after I first heard about the company.

My point is with professional jobs like the one you're trying to get, it's not uncommon to wait a while.

Just keep a positive attitude and wait for it. Yes, follow up with the recruiter. Definitely go to the interview with another company next week.

Positive vibes your way. Good luck!

Old 04-06-2016, 04:18 PM

82 posts, read 413,414 times
Great thanks for the input! I ended up hearing today that the VP of the department has implemented a hiring freeze. The hiring manager for my position is trying to get it approved any way since it's a business critical position. I'm not sure if that means anything is actually going to happen. The recruiter asked me to keep her informed of my status.

I will move forward with my interview next week and my job search. Oh well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search