Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 09:29 PM

289 posts, read 504,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snugglegirl05 View Post
I was not told by my employment counselor why I had to take the part-time job. She just told that I had to accept it.

Someone else I know who also went to the same state agency was told the same thing as well. He said that you have to accept whatever job your employment counselor finds for you. His guess is that the counselor wants to be paid by the state agency as soon as possible.
You need to have a conversation with this agency rep and ask them for the specific reason why they are saying you "have to" take the job. Then research their answer (or submit it to us, the scrutinizing detectives of the employment forum) to make sure they're not blowing smoke up your you-know-where. The only logical reason I can see for having to take a job would be that you are going to lose some sort of government assistance like UI or food stamps if you turn down work, and even then you may be able to turn down the work if it's not full time, doesn't pay comparable to your line of work (like if you used to make $50k as an accountant you can turn down a min wage job now), etc. If you think you're being taken for a ride by this counselor, then you need to look into it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2016, 11:24 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,768,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
So you are saying, there are no repercussions for not taking the job? You took the job anyway. You are worried about repercussions of finding a full-time job, if your job counselor finds out.

Bless your heart.
No... there are repercussions for not taking the job. I am on unemployment, but I have to look for a full-time job. I was told by someone who also had a job counselor through that state agency that he had to take whatever job he was given, and he was not on unemployment. So it does not make any difference if you are on unemployment or if you are not on unemployment, you still have to take the job. His guess is that your job counselor will not work with you if you turn down a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search