Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 11:26 AM

925 posts, read 1,333,339 times

Advertisements

I took an extended break (1+ year) after being layoffed from a previous job in the tech industry. I took advantage of the severance, unemployment, and my personal warchest to enjoy some time off. I also looked into other business opportunities. Now, I think it is time to return into the corporate world but wonder what is the best way to approach this? Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 12:25 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,782,018 times
Just tell them you decided to take a good long look at your career options, getitng advice from professionals of what to do after this moment....

Old 06-17-2016, 12:29 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,737,914 times
Time to deal with family issues. That stymies skepticism.

Old 06-17-2016, 02:00 PM

18,714 posts, read 33,372,489 times
You can also say that the family situation is now resolved. They won't want the personal details and they won't worry about it being repeated.

Old 06-17-2016, 04:16 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,257,774 times
(You cared for your mom/dad/sister etc., while they had to undergo some medical treatment. And, by the Grace of God, they.re cured, and you are 100% available).
Change the subject slowly afterwards, not too quickly.

Old 06-17-2016, 05:31 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,665,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasuga888 View Post
I took an extended break (1+ year) after being layoffed from a previous job in the tech industry.I took advantage of the severance, unemployment, and my personal warchest to enjoy some time off. I also looked into other business opportunities. Now, I think it is time to return into the corporate world but wonder what is the best way to approach this? Any suggestions?
You took time off to relax and pursue some personal endeavors. Just jump back. Not much has changed in a year.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:29 PM

70 posts, read 84,353 times
as others have suggested.....lie

Old 06-17-2016, 10:02 PM

1,088 posts, read 1,462,543 times
I did the same after a layoff in 2007. The shock of losing a job that I loved and finding a new one as the economy tanked was not easy or quick. I was out of work for almost 11 months and I just called it a 'sabbatical' on my resume. I noted any relevant things (continuing education, learning new software, attending relevant events). I also made it clear in my cover letter that I was excited to re-enter the workforce and that the time off would only make me an even better employee.

Or you could lie....actually, saying a 'family issue' or similar might not even be a lie. After all, you are a member of your own family and you had an 'issue'...unemployment! Assure them that the issue is now resolved and won't be an issue again...and reiterate that you're very motivated to return to work.

Good luck!

Old 06-17-2016, 10:13 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,049,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasuga888 View Post
I took an extended break (1+ year) after being layoffed from a previous job in the tech industry. I took advantage of the severance, unemployment, and my personal warchest to enjoy some time off. I also looked into other business opportunities. Now, I think it is time to return into the corporate world but wonder what is the best way to approach this? Any suggestions?
Work on reconnecting with your "network" of friends, former colleagues etc. I know others have advocated fabricating a "story/ lie" as to your time off / sabbatical, I wouldn't do that. The truth is fine. Make certain your qualifications / certifications are up to date, and get after it.

Old 06-18-2016, 07:47 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,246,104 times
I took 2.5 years off and honestly didn't believe I would find another job after sending out roughly 20 resumes, but a hiring manager wanted to speak with me and I explained to him that I took time off for family and to get the house in order after moving and got hired.

I still don't believe i'll find much due to being over 50 but we'll see how the next job search goes. I'm cutting short my temp employment next month for a 2 month break.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search