Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 10:21 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times

Advertisements

I've had companies fly me and not make an offer 2 I believe which is why I would never pay for one. The interview is for their benefit anyways I'm fine with Skype.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 05:56 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,106,096 times
I am waiting for HR to contact me about arrangements. Manager said they were "slow". It has been 2 weeks. Call or wait? Time is my friend here so I'm inclined not to push.

Old 08-24-2016, 06:29 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,944,373 times
i would wait- they said they're slow (and my HR is the same way) so i wouldn't worry..

Old 08-24-2016, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jribe View Post
i would wait- they said they're slow (and my HR is the same way) so i wouldn't worry..
Appreciated.

Old 08-24-2016, 01:07 PM

5,381 posts, read 2,841,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Just curious.

If a company flies you up paying all expenses what % of those people get the offer?
Been flown in for interviews twice. Was the runner up both times.

If they are flying you in, they are VERY interested in you and you are in the top 2-3 candidates, so best of luck to you!

Old 08-27-2016, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
Been flown in for interviews twice. Was the runner up both times.

If they are flying you in, they are VERY interested in you and you are in the top 2-3 candidates, so best of luck to you!
Thanks. We shall see. There is always the x factor in any new situation, some outlier which is usually a surprise. In my experience it's the manager who is grumpy, discontent or makes each silly little detail into a big deal AND has some relationship to my position. Just waiting to see what that is if it exists. Panel interview and meet and greet with all Departmental managers and CEO. Who will be in the interview I don't know as yet. Coat and tie naturally with good shoes...lol....you know everyone looks at you and then at your shoes right? Not sure why but its true. HR still lolly gaggling ...

Old 08-27-2016, 10:58 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,876,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
I agree with doing a test run with your skyping equipment. Also, be really cognizant of what you have in the picture with you. We interviewed someone over skype for an education job, and there was a really inappropriate magazine in plain view over his shoulder. It wasn't illegal of course, but definitely didn't make a good impression on us. Be aware of what you wear as well. We interviewed another person who was wearing the rattiest t-shirt to interview with us, but you could tell she'd tried to make it so we could just see her head. And a final person had something on a shelf behind her that looked like devil's horns because of the placement. It was pretty funny Also, be aware of what other sounds and people are in your environment.

I have salary conversations after jobs are offered. Good luck!
Yup, a test run with Skype is a must. I also agree with the background. Setting it up and angling it to make sure it captures as plain and clear background (conservative) as possible is a must. I interviewed for my current job a couple of years ago over Skype and it definitely took some trial runs to set it up correctly. You want to make sure you start your laptop/computer well before the scheduled interview in case there are any upgrades that are loading, since those can sometimes take a while.

Also, dress from head to toe as if it were an in-person interview. I heard a story from our HR people about someone who interviewed on Skype and had a shirt and tie on, but he had to get up and adjust something, and he was wearing boxers. They said it was awkward to say the least, and definitely didn't leave the best impression.

Also a good idea to make sure you give or get a contact number that you can contact, just in case there are technical problems.

Old 08-30-2016, 06:17 AM

still waiting for the HR contact....DW says be patient

Old 09-02-2016, 07:00 AM

...and more patient.

Old 09-02-2016, 07:19 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
It has been a month. Most likely they have decided against you, and haven't bothered to tell you. At this point it is very reasonable for you to initiate contact, and you have little to lose by doing so.

Call whatever contact you have at the company, but I wouldn't keep your hopes too high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search