Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 11:41 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,714,694 times

Advertisements

My cover letter is one page long. It has four paragraphs that are 4-8 lines in length. The first paragraph discusses my interest in the current position, another mentions my BA degree and the job I had during that time, another mentions my Master's and the job I had during that time, another mentions my current position, and the last paragraph reiterates my interest in the position and provides contact info.

Is my cover letter too long? Anything else I should include, or is there something I should remove? Should you mention dates, or is something like "after working at $company, I started working at $othercompany" okay?

Should you ever mention why you left a job in one field, but started in another. I stopped teaching high school and got back into higher education administration. Is something like "I really enjoyed teaching high school, but realized that higher education is my true calling and passion." acceptable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2016, 12:24 PM

136 posts, read 205,210 times
Yes, that's way too long. Don't mention anything that's already on your resume. I don't think recruiters want to read someone's life story.

Old 08-14-2016, 12:34 PM

1,193 posts, read 1,026,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
My cover letter is one page long. It has four paragraphs that are 4-8 lines in length. The first paragraph discusses my interest in the current position, another mentions my BA degree and the job I had during that time, another mentions my Master's and the job I had during that time, another mentions my current position, and the last paragraph reiterates my interest in the position and provides contact info.

Is my cover letter too long? Anything else I should include, or is there something I should remove? Should you mention dates, or is something like "after working at $company, I started working at $othercompany" okay?

Should you ever mention why you left a job in one field, but started in another. I stopped teaching high school and got back into higher education administration. Is something like "I really enjoyed teaching high school, but realized that higher education is my true calling and passion." acceptable?
Only needs to be a paragraph explaining why a certain skill makes you a good fit for the position and how would welcome a personal interview to further discuss your qualifications.

Old 08-14-2016, 12:44 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,106,096 times
THE KEY is knowing what the company you are applying to needs and how your skills and education apply. 1st line..

I believe that I can assist your......department to achieve my experience of doing...and my education...

2nd line

I am highly flexible, motivated and my work performance reveals key managers have confidence in my work ethic.

3rd line
I am available to meet at any time.

Thank you for your consideration and time reviewing my resume.

Old 08-14-2016, 01:58 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,901,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
THE KEY is knowing what the company you are applying to needs and how your skills and education apply. 1st line..

I believe that I can assist your......department to achieve my experience of doing...and my education...
I'd exclude the word believe and include either know or will. If you believe you can do something, can you? If you know you can, or will do something for me, you come across as more confident about getting the result. Employers want people who are not only confident in their abilities, but who also genuinely want to work for them.

Old 08-14-2016, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
I'd exclude the word believe and include either know or will. If you believe you can do something, can you? If you know you can, or will do something for me, you come across as more confident about getting the result. Employers want people who are not only confident in their abilities, but who also genuinely want to work for them.
Good point.

Old 08-14-2016, 07:04 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,714,694 times
It would be most appreciated if someone could scan my cover letter. I worked at an instructional designer during my undergrad studies, then got into teaching for a few years. I'm back working in instructional design again. Anything I should add or remove? It looks rather short on here, but comes out to about 3/4 page single spaced in MS Word.

I am writing to express my strong interest in the instructional designer position. My educational background, teaching experience, and higher educational technology experience coupled with my enthusiasm, dedication, and professionalism make me the perfect candidate for this position. I learned about the job vacancy on $website.

While working on my bachelor’s degree, I worked as as instructional designer at $university. During this time, I worked with instructors on a daily basis to organize and design professional looking online classes.

After obtaining my bachelor's degree, I started my master’s degree at $university and worked as a graduate instructor in order to gain classroom teaching experience which helped me become more proficient in the field of pedagogy.

While working towards my second master’s degree I taught French and German at $high-school. I was also the technology expert for the modern languages department. Teaching high school gave me valuable curriculum designing experience.

I have developed a strong expertise in planning, scheduling, training, problem solving, and communication through my experience designing online courses, working hands-on in the classroom, and by being an online learning student myself. By having experience with the user-end and back-end of learning management systems, I am able to identify challenges and find solutions to improve student learning.

My resume, which is enclosed, contains additional information on my experience and skills. I would love the opportunity to be interviewed.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Old 08-14-2016, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
it would be most appreciated if someone could scan my cover letter. I worked at an instructional designer during my undergrad studies, then got into teaching for a few years. I'm back working in instructional design again. Anything i should add or remove? It looks rather short on here, but comes out to about 3/4 page single spaced in ms word.

i am writing to express my strong interest in the instructional designer position (position # date and wehre you saw it. . I can show you excellence and productive relationships..list specific accomplishments here. Everyone has enthusiasm.

While working on my bachelor’s degree, i worked as as instructional designer at $university. I worked with instructors on a daily basis to organize and design professional online classes.

I earned my master’s degree at $university. My position as a graduate instructor gave me classroom teaching experience which yielded more proficient in the field of pedagogy.

During my second master’s degree i taught french and german at $high-school location. I was also the technology expert for the modern languages department. I was responsible for curriculum design and implementation

i have developed a strong expertise in planning, scheduling, training, problem solving, and communication through my experience designing online courses, working hands-on in the classroom, and by being an online learning student myself. Excellent. From front end to outcomes management systems, i am able to identify challenges and find solutions to improve student learning.

My resume, which is enclosed, contains additional information on my experience and skills. Excellent.

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.
ok i chopped it up pretty good what i would suggest. Rough.

Old 08-14-2016, 09:55 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,094,408 times
Don't even waste your time on a cover letter unless they request one.

Old 08-15-2016, 01:06 PM

856 posts, read 1,052,510 times
Exclamation Cover Letter Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
Don't even waste your time on a cover letter unless they request one.

I hear this a lot, here.

Can't help but think it is bad advice.

A CL is an opportunity to assemble in one place key bullets related to one's relevant experience and accomplishments in an easy to scan/read format.

It serves as a pre-close and quickly lets the RR know the person is competitively more qualified for the position [than everyone else in the stack of resumes].

I did not say that if the ad says they don't want a CL you should provide one, anyway. What I am saying is that if that door has been left open, then add a CL.

The worst that can happen is that the RR won't read it.

The best that can happen is that the RR sees right away how qualified the person is for the position and picks up the phone.

Paul..........

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search