Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 05:16 AM

486 posts, read 992,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by milesfive View Post
Oh and I forgot to mention another thing about example #1. A few days after I gave them the 8 page personality test I got a call from the hiring manager asking me to meet him for lunch. Of course I think I am getting an offer right? As soon as we sit down he says, "We aren't making you an offer at this time". I should have said a few choice words and walked out, but I didn't.
That's pretty bad. Either that hiring manager had complete contempt for you and wanted to rub it in, or the hiring manager is as stupid as one gets. No applicant wants to go to lunch with a hiring manager after going through the hell of interviewing (8 page personality test is absurd), to then be told "we aren't making you an offer at this time."

Can't the hiring manager just send the bad news in an email or snail mail? Or better yet, if the hiring manager just has to talk to you, call you on the phone.

Whatever. The hiring process in America is downright scary.

BTW, last week I signed up with a temp agency, and I had to fill out 60 pages of forms online and two skills tests. 60 pages! It took me an hour and a half. Are you kidding me? I guess so, seeing as they have done nothing to help me get a job. The woman at the temp agency asked me why I didn't put in my bank account number to receive direct deposit.

Duh...probably because I don't have a job through them yet.

People are insane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2016, 12:08 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,571,179 times
Yep, been there, done it all. For 7 years I have been unemployed or underemployed, meaning part-time, no benefits or per diem/contract. Retail, healthcare, whatever. The hiring process is so screwed up and so are most of the companies. Never seen anything like it. Took a 40 page personality inventory to be a pet bather. Been called for interviews multiple times, returned the calls and never heard back. Been called, interview scheduled, and an hour later called and told they hired someone already.
I learned to do the app on-line, then go in the store and introduce myself. Got 2 retail gigs that way. One they pounded us with holiday hours, then gave us no hours to survive on so I moved on. Another let me go because I got ill on the job and had to go to the ER.
Now I've had one job for 4 months-contract work-and getting no assignments because they have no clients.
I've started a local pet sitting biz, but so far no clients, but I am marketing the crap out of it because I am tired of all this job hunting BS too.
At age 61 I do have some hope as I am getting on with a private counselng practice in my profession and they claim to value and want my experience and age, etc. Hopefully they will give me some clients.
Anyway, a glimpse of my story and I believe 3 things OP: marketing yourself as ''retired, looking for part-time work'' gets you in retail faster; showing up at the store and introducing yourself to the hiring manager ''greases the skids''; finding a 50+ hiring manager who recognizes your value is a plus.
Good luck and hang in. Seasonal hiring is starting up now, so go for it and you might get lucky.

Old 09-03-2016, 05:22 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Maybe the personality test detected that you thought the job was lousy? I imagine they'd rather hire people who appreciate the work.

I wouldn't underestimate those tools ability to detect "seeing through" the questions and answering untruthfully.

Old 09-03-2016, 11:17 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,766,167 times
I detest personality exams. They're tedious and annoying.

Old 09-03-2016, 03:40 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,588,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebola View Post
That's pretty bad. Either that hiring manager had complete contempt for you and wanted to rub it in, or the hiring manager is as stupid as one gets. No applicant wants to go to lunch with a hiring manager after going through the hell of interviewing (8 page personality test is absurd), to then be told "we aren't making you an offer at this time."

Can't the hiring manager just send the bad news in an email or snail mail? Or better yet, if the hiring manager just has to talk to you, call you on the phone.

Whatever. The hiring process in America is downright scary.

BTW, last week I signed up with a temp agency, and I had to fill out 60 pages of forms online and two skills tests. 60 pages! It took me an hour and a half. Are you kidding me? I guess so, seeing as they have done nothing to help me get a job. The woman at the temp agency asked me why I didn't put in my bank account number to receive direct deposit.

Duh...probably because I don't have a job through them yet.

People are insane.
A bank account before a job? Sounds kinda shady.

Old 09-03-2016, 09:25 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,748,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
A personality test to work in a warehouse, ridiculous.
And a personality test just to push carts and scrub toilets? Ridiculous.

Old 09-04-2016, 09:09 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,924,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
And a personality test just to push carts and scrub toilets? Ridiculous.

When you have people with college degrees competing for these jobs what do you expect?

Old 09-04-2016, 09:23 AM

7,185 posts, read 9,322,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfocused View Post
I am 56 yrs old, out of work over a year, I was turned down for a warehouse/stock job at Kohls. Email rejection about 1 hr after filling out the online forms and taking their personality test. I can see right thru those questions, cant imagine that was the issue. I did mark a question that asked if you prefer to work alone or with a group as "Alone" - that was probably key.
Perhaps an unwritten requirement for a warehouse job is to be a young person.

Perhaps an older person might have a higher chance of getting injured and making a WC claim.

Old 09-04-2016, 09:46 AM

1,248 posts, read 4,057,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
When you have people with college degrees competing for these jobs what do you expect?
You do really? do you actually of anyone outside what you read on the internet?

Old 09-04-2016, 12:29 PM

3,661 posts, read 2,948,846 times
It's crazy some places want multiple interviews to do data entry jobs. A job a 7th grader can do seeing how awesome kids are now with computers and typing. I think it's just an ego trip for hiring staff to think they are that smart and important. Warehouse work is boring after the 3rd day, be thankful you did not get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search