Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 12:00 PM

179 posts, read 155,927 times

Advertisements

Would you dye your grey hair before an in-person interview? Do you think that might help if you're old and you are most likely competing against younger people? This is a serious question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2016, 01:13 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
No, never. It seems like that deception would then require repeated coloring throughout the next few years to avoid being exposed. I would not want to get a job because someone thought I looked younger than I am, or because of my hair color. I started here at age 57 in 2009 with an overall "salt & pepper" look, hair and beard, and have been promoted twice since. Yes, some employers might discriminate based on age and/or hair color, but why would you want to work for them? Hair color is not always indicative of age anyway, my sister in law went totally gray at age 25.

Old 09-23-2016, 01:29 PM

345 posts, read 252,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
No, never. It seems like that deception would then require repeated coloring throughout the next few years to avoid being exposed. I would not want to get a job because someone thought I looked younger than I am, or because of my hair color. I started here at age 57 in 2009 with an overall "salt & pepper" look, hair and beard, and have been promoted twice since. Yes, some employers might discriminate based on age and/or hair color, but why would you want to work for them? Hair color is not always indicative of age anyway, my sister in law went totally gray at age 25.
This gives me hope. I am 56 and still unemployed after 9 months. I do color my hair but I have been for awhile now. I've been on 5 face to face interviews and think I do well at the interviews. I keep getting rejected and have a gut feeling it has to do with my age. Plus I am female in a man's field (I thought that would give me an advantage but it hasn't).

Old 09-23-2016, 02:43 PM

486 posts, read 992,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milesfive View Post
This gives me hope. I am 56 and still unemployed after 9 months. I do color my hair but I have been for awhile now. I've been on 5 face to face interviews and think I do well at the interviews. I keep getting rejected and have a gut feeling it has to do with my age. Plus I am female in a man's field (I thought that would give me an advantage but it hasn't).
I am 50 with salt and pepper long grey hair. I have been looking for a job since the end of March 2016. I have applied to 123 jobs and I have had 18 interviews (12 face to face). I am still looking for a job offer. Unfortunately, based upon my 12 face to face interviews, I believe my age and grey hair is one of the main reasons I am not getting job offers. When I go into face to face interviews, it always seems the interviewers are startled when they first see me. I "ass"-ume they thought they would be interviewing someone younger (even though I have the year I graduated college on my resume - 1991, go figure).

Anyway, it is what it is. I believe grey hair on men is more acceptable when searching for jobs and competing against younger applicants. On women, grey hair seemingly means you are someone's grandma, and who wants to work with their grandmother?

Icky.

I am debating dying my hair too. Haven't decided...

Old 09-23-2016, 02:45 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,900,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Yes, some employers might discriminate based on age and/or hair color, but why would you want to work for them?
Because there just aren't enough good employers out there to go around.

Old 09-23-2016, 03:49 PM

345 posts, read 252,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Because there just aren't enough good employers out there to go around.
Exactly!

Old 09-24-2016, 07:43 AM

486 posts, read 992,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamDot View Post
Would you dye your grey hair before an in-person interview? Do you think that might help if you're old and you are most likely competing against younger people? This is a serious question.
Looks like not many people have responded with an opinion either way if one should dye his/her grey hair when looking for a job. In my own opinion, seeing as I am old and I have grey hair and I am looking for a job and not finding one - YES - you should dye your grey hair. It certainly can't hurt.

Old 09-24-2016, 11:29 AM

1,394 posts, read 1,259,079 times
Go to a modern salon. Don.t wear hair that.s short and grey with an ole-fashioned bowl cut.
Look "moneyed": go to a tanning 3 times (it won.t kill you) and wear designer clothes. CalvinKlein makes affordable fashion and is carried at Macy's. Tasteful jewelry:borrow or buy diamonds, silver or gold.

Old 09-24-2016, 02:37 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,102,752 times
Dont color your hair. An expert trim 2 weeks before the interview. Maybe dye the stache or the goat. Never a beard of the hair.

Old 09-25-2016, 06:05 AM

179 posts, read 155,927 times
After reading the responses that are understandable, I am going to dye my hair. You can never go wrong looking younger in an interview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search