Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2016, 06:28 AM

179 posts, read 156,004 times

Advertisements

So, I spent the last two days flying to and back from an interview that I am perfect for and that seemed to go pretty well UNTIL......

The last question.

I asked the hiring manager "when do you expect to hire for this position?"

And here's the dreaded answer.....

"Well my boss wants me to interview a candidate he selected..."

TA, DA, [cue doomed music]

So, that's that. No way in hell I'm getting that job. What a waste of fricking time. I seriously wished they had told me about that interviewee before I went down there. I would have canceled the interview. There is no way ANYONE can compete with the Bossman's pick.

It happens all the time and I'm tired of it. Same old, same old. Unfortunately I'm never the Bossman's pick. I'm just a schmoo who knows no one and is just competing on my skills alone. Loser.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2016, 07:38 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,766,167 times
It happens. Just keep applying - it's the best you can do.
I can't even complain about these employers anymore so I just focus on making myself better.

Is there anything you can think of that may have screwed up your interview?

Old 10-02-2016, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
Is there anything you can think of that may have screwed up your interview?
Nope. Other than I wasn't born the bossman's pick.

Old 10-02-2016, 05:33 AM

486 posts, read 992,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamDot View Post
Nope. Other than I wasn't born the bossman's pick.
A few years ago I had an interview at a manufacturing company for a contracts admin. My brother works at the company and told me about the opening. I applied, they called me in for an interview. It was one of the dreaded "team interviews" (5 people including the contracts manager, ceo of the company, sales manager, engineering manager, the other contracts admin). My brother was not part of the interview panel. The interview went well, they said I had a lot of "skills" they needed for the position. They showed me around the floor, etc.

I never heard from them again.

Come to find out a week later my brother told me that the contracts manager hired his son-in-law for the position. Okey, dokey. I have no problem with nepotism at jobs, the problem I have is why bother interviewing outsiders if you have a son-in-law lurking in the shadows that you planned on hiring all along? You are wasting the other interviewees' time and money (the interview was 45 minutes away from my home).

All the skills in the world will not overcome the bossman's pick. NEVER.

I am guessing the bossman pick scenerio I described above, happens in hiring more than people want to admit. I only found out that I lost to a bossman pick because my brother works at the company and told me the truth of who they hired.

It's almost impossible to get a job without knowing someone.

Old 10-02-2016, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebola View Post
All the skills in the world will not overcome the bossman's pick. NEVER.
It seems like the bossman's pick is ALWAYS lurking in the background. I'm never the bossman's pick. I don't even know a bossman. I'm screwed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search