Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 05:55 PM

15 posts, read 11,066 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I was unemployed for 6 months and was offered a job a month ago as a file clerk. The pay is extremely low compared to my previous salary and I've been occasionally looking for other opportunities.

I recently found an opening that was interesting and submitted my resume that isn't current (I didn't indicate I got a new job as a file clerk). The company responded and would like to have a phone interview. Do I let them know that I currently have a job? Or should I just pretend I'm still unemployed as indicated on my resume?

I'm not sure what I should do. If I tell them I'm employed, at least I won't be considered unemployed, but at the same time, telling them I have a job now, might perhaps show that I'm disloyal for wanting to jump ship in 1 month? I'm not sure.

I appreciate the help!

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2017, 07:28 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,713,533 times
Yes, tell them you are currently employed. It will make you seem to be a more attractive candidate (less desperate) and also, you will be honest at the same time. It's always easier to get a job when you already have one. Just tell them during the interview that although you are new at your current job, it is not a good fit for you.

Old 01-06-2017, 12:09 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,362,717 times
You could just say you just got an offer. It might look bad if you say the new job isn't a fit or you already want to leave.

Old 01-07-2017, 12:24 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,668,569 times
Tell them that it's only a "temp" job and that you're available to interview since you're looking for permanent positions. Technically, your current position is only temporary since you're still looking.

Old 01-07-2017, 06:00 PM

44 posts, read 94,987 times
I would agree that I would tell them that you currently have a job. It's always more attractive for companies to employ people who are coming from another job than coming from unemployment. I would also say that the job is a temporary one and that you are looking for a more long-term position. I wouldn't say anything about it being a poor fit or that you don't like it because you haven't been in this job that one. I wish you good luck on your interview!

Old 01-07-2017, 08:19 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,512,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely40 View Post
Tell them that it's only a "temp" job and that you're available to interview since you're looking for permanent positions. Technically, your current position is only temporary since you're still looking.
This. You are no thinking your current job is anything you want to keep, so this is a temporary job. Good luck with your interview!

Old 01-08-2017, 09:27 AM

5,901 posts, read 3,910,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwt137 View Post
It's always more attractive for companies to employ people who are coming from another job than coming from unemployment.
This is generally true for long-term employment. However, for someone at a job for only one month, it's irrelevant. This is why I wouldn't mention the current gig at all, as a lot of companies will be hesitant to hire you knowing that you've just started a recent job -- no matter how underemployed it might be. Sure, some managers will be understanding and appreciate of total honesty, but there are others who will view OP as being a risk.

What they don't know won't hurt them. If the OP is still at the current gig for another few months, then I would include it on the resume and explain the situation in interviews. But as for now, say nothing.

Old 01-15-2017, 10:48 AM

10,620 posts, read 12,155,365 times
I also think that as of now, I'd say nothing.

Old 01-15-2017, 11:14 AM

3,118 posts, read 5,362,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I also think that as of now, I'd say nothing.
No. Tell them you just got another offer, buy you're more interested in working for them. It will make you look better and in demand and it's at least a half truth. Otherwise they think you might just be looking for any offer because you're not working.

Old 01-15-2017, 12:39 PM

10,620 posts, read 12,155,365 times
^^ I could agree with that, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search