Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 12:20 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,865,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by credit6 View Post
Only that they may think you are overqualified for the labor job.
I spent a year as a manager for a service company where I was involved in hiring. We had an opening for an apprentice; we were looking for someone just out of trade school and ready to get his or her hands dirty and learn everything they don't teach in school.

I had one applicant show up in a suit and tie. That he might be overqualified never crossed my mind; my first reaction was that he was a kid who had gotten advice from someone quite a bit older. It was neither good nor bad, but it did spark a lot of comments in the office after he left - you don't usually see people applying for trades in full suits. Slacks and a dress shirt are the norm.

I didn't hire the kid, he just didn't come across as mature enough and ready to work at the level we needed. The guy we ended up hiring work slacks and a polo shirt to the interview, IIRC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2017, 01:57 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,186,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Just so I know for future reference…..

Is there any DOWN side to wearing a suit?

I've always been the person who wears a suit no matter what the job interview is for…..but I've been a white collar professional for 30 years. Last jobs before that were high school and college: movie theater concession stand, retail apparel sales, and dungeon bank teller that physically hand processed ATM deposits at a banking center at night.

Now in my mid 50s, if get an interview for a job at Costco, Home Depot or Wegmans….I was still going to wear a suit.

Is that overk i l l?

To be honest is LESS tricky to just where a suit, no?

Thanks.
Production line, physical labor, trades type job, forklift driver in a warehouse etc... I wouldn't wear a suit. IMO I think it could actually harm your chances in these type of jobs.

But anything that is customer service based, sure.

If you show up in a suit you will definitely leave your mark in the interviewers mind because it almost never happens for these type of jobs. That is a very good thing if you interview well, are qualified etc....

So go for it. You will definitely be remembered which is a good thing. You won't be over looked.

Old 02-09-2017, 02:01 PM

5,023 posts, read 7,452,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milesfive View Post
There is never a down side to wearing a suit, no matter what the job is.
I agree with this

But also think your original outfit choice was perfect.

Good luck!

Old 02-09-2017, 06:45 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,357,689 times
I think the downside is you appear inexperienced in life or naive or too bright eyed or not bright enough to realize that youre overdressed.

On the flip side, if I were the hiring manager, you would stand out to me as someone who will take their job seriously and show up on time and work hard.

Old 02-09-2017, 09:25 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,507,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogetter4325 View Post
Hi. For entry level general labor, production, manufacturing, assembly line jobs paying about $9 - $12, is it OK to wear just a white dress shirt and a tie to the interview (pants included ) or should I wear a full business suit? I have a full pin striped navy blue suit. Thanks!
White dress shirt/tie sounds perfect to me. I think it sets the stage. This is an entry level job, but surely there are ways to work up the line and you was to aim for your future. Good luck!

Old 02-10-2017, 07:38 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
I think the downside is you appear inexperienced in life or naive or too bright eyed or not bright enough to realize that youre overdressed.
One is NEVER overdressed at a job interview.

Old 02-10-2017, 12:41 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,357,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Thats dependent on the opinion of the person that is interviewing you.

Last edited by jman07; 02-10-2017 at 12:49 PM..

Old 02-12-2017, 11:40 AM

8,893 posts, read 5,373,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
They will be happy if you show up on time, speak half way intelligently and can pass a drug test.

No tie is needed. Even just a polo shirt and dockers is fine. Slacks and button up is good too.

Report back when you get the job.
OK, you must tell me your secret. A family member has been doing this for several months and can't get anyone to hire her as an entry level machine operator. She can definitely do what you say she needs to do.

Old 02-12-2017, 11:46 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
You can overdress. It can make you look clueless and out of touch.

For a general labor job, a nice polo or dress shirt is appropriate. Tie is ok, but certainly optional.

Don't wear a suit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search